Discussions By Condition: Anxiety

Anxiety Panic attacks.

Posted In: Anxiety 35 Replies
  • Posted By: anxious Annie
  • November 3, 2007
  • 03:14 PM

I have had anxiety- panic attacks for about 12 years now. I am on medication. My question to anyone who has this terrible disorder, I get so scared and terrified about health issues. I get what could be a simple symptom and my mind turns it into a death sentence. I am too terrified and almost paralyzed to tell my doctor what I am afraid of because I know that the test results will be bad. Does anyone out there have this same problem and if so, how do you handle it. In short, I am terrified to face my fear.

Reply Flag this Discussion

35 Replies:

• what does your doctor say? i think it's kind of mental illness, maybe you should go for more proffessional medicial treatment.
    thewildwind 16 Replies
    • November 14, 2007
    • 06:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I know that it is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. This is really very common. My problem is that I over- react and can't seem to control my thoughts.
    anxious Annie 59 Replies
    • November 16, 2007
    • 02:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Its all in the mind, usually occuring from something which has happened in your life. My friend of a similar age passed away which made me question my own health which then in turn led to me having a very big panic attack. Since then i haven't had one as i have realised that i am fine, ive had tests, blood tests, endoscopys and its the fact that you are worrying that is leading you to "panic". You can go and see your doctor and literally from my experience and reading others there is absolutely nothing wrong with you, just the fact you have now got to a stage where you are winding yourself up. Hope i have been of some help as i know what your going through
    JimmyC 3 Replies
    • December 27, 2007
    • 05:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks JimmyC. I guess the only way to over come fear is to face it head on. Wish that I could do this. My doctor did tell me when I was first diagnosed with anxiety, that something probably happened to me when I was a child that caused me to be this way.
    anxious Annie 59 Replies
    • December 27, 2007
    • 10:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • please my previous comments on Anxiety and how it relates to Pancreas and Liver.Best.
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies
    • December 28, 2007
    • 03:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks JimmyC. I guess the only way to over come fear is to face it head on. Wish that I could do this. My doctor did tell me when I was first diagnosed with anxiety, that something probably happened to me when I was a child that caused me to be this way. You can do it, just don't put any pressure on yourself, maybe look at going for a coffee with your friends at somewhere close which you feel comfortable with, and is somewhere close to home. Its amazing that when your at home you feel a lot safer and a million miles away from your problems, its your safe place, and its a case of re-teaching your whole mind that everywhere is the same. Take baby steps, it won't be easy but you can't go backwards and everything you try and achieve is a big step the right way. Do what you feel comfortable with. I was 19 when it all started and im now 21, but realising if it is all in the mind then it can be just as easy to revert it back. hope i have been of some help
    JimmyC 3 Replies
    • December 28, 2007
    • 07:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • JimmyC .............You have been a big help to me. Thank you so much.
    anxious Annie 59 Replies
    • December 28, 2007
    • 09:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Here I am again, fear is paralyzing me. I need help so badly. Again I will say if I could just face what is worrying me. I have tried and I just can't make myself pick up the phone and call the doctor. I knowthat I should, but having this much fear is unbearable.
    anxious Annie 59 Replies
    • January 16, 2008
    • 07:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • im 17 and have anxiety at all times.from the moment i sleep(which is the hardest thing to do)to the moment i awaken.i have symptoms at this very moment..but i know my lifestyle greatly contributes to it.i drink nothing but pepsi all day.have a high sodium caffene intake.chew tobbaco and smoke marjuana eveyday.i recently quit smoking ciggarettes,have insomnia and overly worry about every simple thing in life.i feel like im going insane,im not having bad panic attacks but i can feel slight heart palpitations and think about my breathing alot..i also have a anxious crazy feeling all day in my stomach that ruins my lifestyle.this all started a week or two ago.plus my mother and father have anxiety.i havent gone to a doctor but it makes me feel a little bit better knowing theres millions of people going insane along with me..but now that ive read these posts im going to the doctor in 1 or 2 days for medication.so to anyone out there thinking of suicide do not let your mind control you.before you give up,try everything from lifestyle changes to xanax.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2008
    • 06:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi there chin up i do the same if i read into things i too seem to have the exact symtoms dont no y just do so then ya freak think your going to die run to your doctor and your fine. more funnt pains come itchingness spots so on all i can say to as im the same is never ever read into things dont even read anxiety books because in my opinion it makes it worse cos u are thinking about having a panic attac so u have one over nothing. if you think you have pains yes see your doctor because it may be somthing or it might not you are allowed to worry its human and when your mother u will worry like ***l but dont beat yourself up over it you are normal you may over react but just try a level with yourself are you breathing noramally count to ten then think ok thats silly and move on.i wa hit by a taxi t-boned by him i had my 3 week old baby girl in the car her capsul wasover and her door did not open i looked at her she looked dead i paniced so much i could not even undo the car buckel to get her out. lucly she was asleep she slept for another hour after that .(lesson 1 never think the worst has/is happening) every time i got into a car i would sweat breath so fast (hyperventerlate) that i would pass out i had to get a grip on reality so witin 2 weeks i was driving again very scared i would have panic attacts if someonme was changing lanes turning as im going straigt thinking they could not see me (reactment carcrash) took me ages to just breath breath girl breath relax id say too my self ok so got through that then when i d come to the spot where it all happened i get so nauseated i near vomit id shake but ya gotta just breath it happened get over it it might happen again in my lifetime what can i do nothing just breath your way through panic attacts dont dwell on things it never help if your a worryer u can get through this you can its all in your own mind its noraml but we both let it go so far that our body reacts and releases signals to our brain fear hope my story wil give you the will power to controll your panic attacts
    keiley 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks for your response Keily. It is amazing how many people have this problem. I am still fighting it daily and I pray to be released from the fear and anxiety. I take Xanax, but it doesn't help at times. It seems that my mind is out of control. I will just keep fighting it I guess.
    anxious Annie 59 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• um well i dont know what to say axiety can be controlled not by medication, but by you! medication helps but as soon as u come of it ur back to how you felt. you have to be happy within your self and what ever caused your axiety to begin with eg bad child hood. you have to forgive and forget stop living in the past live for now this very moment
  • Hi Keiley, thanks again for your interest. Sometimes you get no response at all from the posts. You are so right about the downer after the Xanax wears off. I know that I just have to face the things that are causing the anxiety and accept it.What makes me so angry is the fact that fear is the root of the problem, I know this, but it won't go away.
  • honey it never does go away the fear stays with you no matter where you are you just have to find a way to face it without panic. the spot where i got hit in my car accident i still get flutters but i egnore them and dont take them any further sometimes i dol et myself get the worst of me and i start to have be a panic you have to comes to turms with it just agree with yourself yes its scares the f#$@ out of me. maybe try thinking of happy thingss sounds dumb but in the midts of a panic attack it will with practice calm you down may i ask what your panic attacts are over :rolleyes:
  • Medical issues. I am always afraid that I am going to get a bad diagnosis. I have a doctor appointment next week and I am already scared to death. I have had this fear of doctors since I was a child.
  • I have had anxiety- panic attacks for about 12 years now. I am on medication. My question to anyone who has this terrible disorder, I get so scared and terrified about health issues. I get what could be a simple symptom and my mind turns it into a death sentence. I am too terrified and almost paralyzed to tell my doctor what I am afraid of because I know that the test results will be bad. Does anyone out there have this same problem and if so, how do you handle it. In short, I am terrified to face my fear.i got my first one when i was about 16 i am now 23 and a mom and i was so scared to get pregnant scared i would get them when i was in labor,ect i have found that it is mind over matter you have to learn to control it i know its almost impossible to say this but you have to try to forget about them try to forget what it feels like to get one, you cannot let it keeo you in the house it will only make it worse i use to have to force myself to go out to eat and movies scared i would get one in public and embaress myself alot of people know what you are going through so you have to remember your not alone in this. pills i think there just a cover up and i dont think they would help a situation like this i never took the anti deppressant pills b/c im not depressed i dont have depreesion i have anxiety attacks doctors are quick to not listen and just throw you some pills. I did learn that birth control pills made mine 10 times worse the hormones that are in them have a side affects of anxiety and for me it made me just miserable with attacks i am not off of the pill for about 3 years now and i have had about maybey 5-6 attacks compared to almost all the time when i was on the pill i felt a uplifting feeling after i got off the pill. pills are bad anyways there not natural think about it. well i hope this helps and one more tip when you get an attack chew gum, amke yourself a task like tell yourself to read something quick or draw something also you can tell yourself look at the door look at the chair ect anything to get your mind distracted off of it and whatever you do if your driving and get one pull over dont try to fight it the whole thing about you cant pass out from an attack isnt true ive passed out cold 2-3 times from them hope this helps
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 13, 2008
    • 03:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had anxiety- panic attacks for about 12 years now. I am on medication. My question to anyone who has this terrible disorder, I get so scared and terrified about health issues. I get what could be a simple symptom and my mind turns it into a death sentence. I am too terrified and almost paralyzed to tell my doctor what I am afraid of because I know that the test results will be bad. Does anyone out there have this same problem and if so, how do you handle it. In short, I am terrified to face my fear.Yes I have them quite frequently but im not on any medication for it i work full time and have a 5yr old son when i have the aniexty attacks and think im going to have a heart attack i just sit and breathe for a bout 5-20seconds to see if anything happens and all the time nothing ever happens and then i feel better i learned this technique off a website i came accross it really helps because my life is too important and too busy to spend meaningless hours in a drs office and be on crazy meds that might not do any good.....i first experienced my very first panic attack after taking my breathing treatment machine at home for the first time and i was on a steriod i know it was the medicine that onset them because i have never had one before in my life !!!!!! so Try resorting to relxation techniques because i dont know which medicine that can cure someone from having panic attacks i think if your going to have one then let it take its course. They run in my family on the female side so I think its something genetic that cant be cured.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Sounds like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Check on the web for symptoms and call your doctor. I have the racing thoughts that turns a runny nose into some terrible disease that I will die from. So far, I'm still here and healthy. I do take medication though. Most anti-anxiety medication will help the anxiety (depression) symptoms, but won't help the thoughts. Check with you doctor. He/she might have you try several different ones. I've tried Celexa, Lexapro(?), paxil and zoloft. I think there might hve been a few others. Paxil or zoloft help keep my mind from turing normal events into catastrophies. The other anti-anxiety drugs didn't have any effect on the OCD symptoms. Talk to you doctor!! You might just need a different prescription to control all you symptoms.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • hello Annie,i really feel for you i am too having panic attacks they have come back to haunt me after 5 years, i started having panic attacks when my father was diagnosed with liver cancer i couldnt handle it but i didnt know what was wrong with me so i went to a doctor and she said DONT go anywhere if you get in public you will have one well that spooked me and i ended up with agraphobia i couldnt leave the house,i went to another doctor who prescribed these horrible tablets i cant remember the name but i stopped taking them they made me feel like i was going even more crazy,i went to my dads funeral which was then i thought i faced my fears and what was worrying me so much was over and i got better,but 5 months ago they came back i literally woke up and thought oh i dont feel well that same feeling of butterflies in my stomach heart racing cant breath properly feeling dizzy and i thought its back but this time is different i dont have anything to worry about and i havnt been to docs they didnt help before so im going to deal with it on my own again,im getting better i can go into a shop now and drive the car and just got myself a job,i was thinking too much about everything which made me lose it so now im not thinking too much i have started doing gardening i have set up a nice area out the backyard where i sit to listen to the birds and have some windchimes hanging and a water feature if i have nice things to listen to then i wont think too much,you can only take one day at a time if you get pain somewhere try to block it out and keep busy,i know your probably reading this and thinking but nothing is helping but trust me once you start getting all those horrible thoughts out of your head you wont know yourself, and when i do start to panic about something i just tell myself stop it its all in my head,i know people handle panic attacks differently i thought i would share with you how im dealing with them,take care and good luck,michelle.:)
    shellmak 9 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks for you post Michelle. I too had my first panic attack when I was grieving for my dad. He died very quickly and suddenly and it threw me into shock. I had no brothers or sisters to go through this with me. Before his death I didn't even know there was such a thing as a panic attack. I sure make up for it now, it is a constant threat in my life.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement