Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

has anybody had biodentical hormone treatment for perimenopause

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: marioenchen45
  • October 24, 2007
  • 02:40 AM

hello,

i have just been diagnosed with pmdd? my doctor suggested antidepressants and yasmin birth control pills. i will not take the anti-depressants and went to the health food store today to look for alternatives to reliever my symptoms of severe hunger and anxiety during and before my cycle. i heard about the bioidentical hormones and wanted to see if i can get some info from a women that has had experience with this kind of treatment. i am 47 years old and otherwise in excellent health and not overweight and don't smoke. i also eat very healthy and take vitamins and supplements daily. i would like to make a good decision regarding my problem and appreciate any input.

thank you
:)

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• I have had pmdd for years now, it is very hard thing to go thru. It effects your entire life. I do take the anti-depressent and yazmine. They do help quite abit, I recomend you take them before your pmdd gets worse, because it will and when it does you'll think your going crazy.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 22, 2008
    • 02:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have not used bioidentical hormones. A very close friend and her sister have - they were very, very, successful and made a world of difference. I think they are expensive and that they were not covered by insurance. Keep in mind, these women also had an excellent physician reading the results of their blood work and prescribing the right mix for each of them. Bioidentical hormones are also recommended by Dr. Christine Northrup (spelling?) who has written multiple books on menopause and peri-menopause. Under certain circumstances, they are the best option. She is sometimes a little wacky with some of the things she discusses - but you might want to read what she has to say on the subject. I am not a fan when anti-depressants are prescribed for issues that are clearly hormonal. Why not just get the hormonal balance back in sync. The anti-depressants will just cover the symptoms of the diagnosis, but not address the underlying condition which I understand to be hormonal. The birth control will address the hormones, but not to the specificity that the bioidentical people can do for you.
    Wrist issues 1 Replies
    • December 23, 2008
    • 03:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • As a man I can't fully understand what PMDD feels like,but as a doctor I've treated several women who have it,and the bioidentical hormones worked perfectly.They're compounded by a pharmacist,which makes them more expensive than,say Premarin,but a number of women prefer to replace that which was lost rather than take an equine hormone made of urine.If you can afford it,I truly support your taking it.:)
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • December 27, 2008
    • 04:57 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement