Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Urinary Problems Constant Pain

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: stephrena
  • October 2, 2006
  • 05:09 AM

I have had constant UTI's since January 2006. I have been treated with maybe a weeks worth of antibiotics at a time, and have been seen for the infections about 13 times by my doctor. I have an IVP done which was clear, and a sonogram that was clear- yet I am still in severe pain on my lower right side. I urinate maybe 2-4 times a day, drink plenty of water, and still do not urinate as I used to, before January. My urine is also dark and smells awful. I also cannot eat from being nauseated, have pain in my back as well. What steps should I take now? My doctors say it is just going to keep happening because my kidneys are "scarred" and I have had high white blood cells, blood, and protein in my urine. Any advice would help. I have lost about 20 lbs since this has been going on, because I have lost my appetite. I also have pain during intercourse on my lower right side. Please help.

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• Make sure that you are getting the correct antibiotic. Just because you have a certain type of bug causing your UTI does not mean that that bug is not resistant to the antibiotic. Some IV antibiotics are required for bugs that are resistant to antibiotic treatments. You (or your doctor) can consult with an Infectious Disease Doctor to be sure you are getting the right antibiotic. I would start with an appointment with an Infectious Disease doc. Some bugs are getting really resistant to conventional treatments.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 8, 2006
    • 08:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • check for kidney stones?..ultrasound should do it. also have urologist check for Interstitial cystitis. Hope thats helpfull
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 11, 2006
    • 00:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had similar pains as yours. I was having severe pains in side, my back, high WBC, and etc. I kept going to the dr and ER, nothing came back as abnormal. Finally my OB decided to do laproscopic surgery and see what was going on. When he got in there he found that I had endometreosis located next to my tailbone. I have not had any pains on my side, back, or any high WBC since then. He stated in my pre-op visit, that my WBC was coming back high do to such severe pain. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 11, 2006
    • 03:41 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement