Discussions By Condition: Mouth conditions

Peeling Lips

Posted In: Mouth conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: yalith
  • October 18, 2007
  • 09:36 PM

I am 25, and for several years I had a terrible habit of biting my lips. (Like actually biting the skin off of them). I have since managed to stop biting them (very difficult) but have been disapointed that they will never heal. I have this problem for a couple of years now: the skin grows back, hardens, and when it gets wet, turns white, and peels. It just wipes off if I touch it.

After searching on the internet, I found another forum where people have the EXACT problem as I do, only, one of them has to been to doctors, to no avail. He's baffled all kinds of doctors and tried all kinds of medications and nothing works.

The reason I used to bite my lips is because they constantly felt like they had something on them, like paper, and I had to get it off. Now I am wondering, if all along, the reason I was biting, was because of a problem with the skin?

Does anyone know what this is?

-There is no pain (unless I peel too soon, then skin underneath is raw)
-Skin dies every 2 to 3 days
-It's only half my lip, the half closer to the inside of my lip, and inside of my lip (the outer part of my lip is still normal type of skin)
-There is a distinct different in the two types of skin - one is hard and not stretchy, one is normal
-If I don't peel, the hard skin peels away from the normal skin... it looks ugly

What could this possibly be?

This is the other discussion I was referring to. My symptoms match the first poster and many of the replies:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Dermatology/messages/31789.html

I hope somebody can please help me get to the bottom of this I want my lips back!!! :( I'm 25 and this has been going on far too long!

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement