Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Coughing Attacks

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: smo425
  • October 12, 2007
  • 07:08 PM

I have periodic "attacks" of very violent coughing spells, which lead to vomitting, loss of bladder control, high blood pressure, rapid pulse, profuse sweating, severe headache, and my face turning red. Sometimes these attacks are accompanied by swelling of various parts of my face. When I have an attack I feel like I am burning up. Sometimes my throat swells shut and I have to seek immediate assistance at the ER.

This all started a year and a half ago. For the most part the attacks have been fairly infrequent, but for the last few weeks I've been having them every couple of days. I cough so hard that all the muscles in my torso are very sore. Following an attack I'm exhausted, congested and basically knocked flat for a number of days. When the attacks come on I am fine one minute and then I start coughing, sweating and retching the next. Attacks can last from 1 to 4 hours.

My doctor has given me Tussionex which does seem to short circuit the episodes but it knocks me out for the rest of the day when I take it.

Anyone have any ideas? This is really interfering in my life. I would do anything to get to the bottom of what is causing this, but I don't know what to do.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement