Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Coughing Attacks

Posted In: Medical Stories 6 Replies
  • Posted By: smo425
  • October 12, 2007
  • 07:08 PM

I have periodic "attacks" of very violent coughing spells, which lead to vomitting, loss of bladder control, high blood pressure, rapid pulse, profuse sweating, severe headache, and my face turning red. Sometimes these attacks are accompanied by swelling of various parts of my face. When I have an attack I feel like I am burning up. Sometimes my throat swells shut and I have to seek immediate assistance at the ER.

This all started a year and a half ago. For the most part the attacks have been fairly infrequent, but for the last few weeks I've been having them every couple of days. I cough so hard that all the muscles in my torso are very sore. Following an attack I'm exhausted, congested and basically knocked flat for a number of days. When the attacks come on I am fine one minute and then I start coughing, sweating and retching the next. Attacks can last from 1 to 4 hours.

My doctor has given me Tussionex which does seem to short circuit the episodes but it knocks me out for the rest of the day when I take it.

Anyone have any ideas? This is really interfering in my life. I would do anything to get to the bottom of what is causing this, but I don't know what to do.

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• I have periodic "attacks" of very violent coughing spells, which lead to vomitting, loss of bladder control, high blood pressure, rapid pulse, profuse sweating, severe headache, and my face turning red. Sometimes these attacks are accompanied by swelling of various parts of my face. When I have an attack I feel like I am burning up. Sometimes my throat swells shut and I have to seek immediate assistance at the ER. This all started a year and a half ago. For the most part the attacks have been fairly infrequent, but for the last few weeks I've been having them every couple of days. I cough so hard that all the muscles in my torso are very sore. Following an attack I'm exhausted, congested and basically knocked flat for a number of days. When the attacks come on I am fine one minute and then I start coughing, sweating and retching the next. Attacks can last from 1 to 4 hours. My doctor has given me Tussionex which does seem to short circuit the episodes but it knocks me out for the rest of the day when I take it.Anyone have any ideas? This is really interfering in my life. I would do anything to get to the bottom of what is causing this, but I don't know what to do.Asthma?Cleaning method change may help (has helped others before). Respiratory system damage.Have you ever been told this could be Whooping Cough?_______________________________________________________Pneumonia:Cough, often producing mucus (sputum) from the lungs. Mucus may be rusty or green or tinged with blood.Fever, which may be less common in older adults.Shaking, "teeth-chattering" chills (one time only or many times).Fast, often shallow, breathing and the feeling of being short of breath.Chest wall pain that is often made worse by coughing or breathing in.Fast heartbeat.Feeling very tired (fatigue) or feeling very weak (malaise).Nausea and vomiting.Diarrhea.http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/pneumonia-symptoms (copy&Paste)http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infections/lung/pneumonia.html^More information.^
    Nurse-Shikonay 6 Replies
    • October 22, 2007
    • 11:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Are you taking ace inhibitors for hypertension (high blood pressure)? They may have a side effect of constant coughing.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 24, 2007
    • 01:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • No, I'm not taking Ace Inhibitors. The other day I had an attack while at the doctor's office. He said that I have Asthma, and that there is wheezing in my chest. He's given me Prednisone which has stopped the attacks and the wheezing in my throat, but my chest really hurts now and my arms and legs feel really weak. He also gave me an Albuterol inhaler, and Atarax (one more antihistamine). I've been taking all this for 3 days now and still feeling really horrible. Wondering if the Asthma is a cause or just another symptom? Hate taking Prednisone - it makes me super irritable and interferes with sleep. Any suggestions?
    smo425 2 Replies
    • October 26, 2007
    • 02:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • That sounds VERY similar to what I was just experiencing, shy of the swelling of the face. I was diagnosed with Cough Variant Asthma. I would recommend getting breathing tests done to screen it out. I am on inhalers (Advair) now and they are mostly gone.
    Sraointe 3 Replies
    • November 9, 2007
    • 07:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • im 19 years old and i have basicly the same thing iv been like that for almost 3 weeks i was sick for like a week and then it jus never went away and then i was talking to my friend on xbox and he said something about if i had asthma or not and i said yes because i do and then i tryed my inhaler it worked and now im not havein the attacks as often as i was so u can try an inhaler if you have one or if you dont go to your doctor and he should do somthing of that sort to help u out with getting one
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2009
    • 03:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • No, I'm not taking Ace Inhibitors. The other day I had an attack while at the doctor's office. He said that I have Asthma, and that there is wheezing in my chest. He's given me Prednisone which has stopped the attacks and the wheezing in my throat, but my chest really hurts now and my arms and legs feel really weak. He also gave me an Albuterol inhaler, and Atarax (one more antihistamine). I've been taking all this for 3 days now and still feeling really horrible. Wondering if the Asthma is a cause or just another symptom? Hate taking Prednisone - it makes me super irritable and interferes with sleep. Any suggestions?I was having similar attacks for years. I assumed it was my asthma just getting worse. But then I started a food diary because I noted that some desserts at night would make me vomit. So I realized it wasn't just cakes and such it was actually gluten. I went through denial for awhile because all my favorite things pasta and bread I would have to stop eating. I have been strict gluten free for over 3 months now and I do not have episodes. Except for the occasional hidden gluten or at first I would forget and just eat or drink something with it in it, and within 15 min I start feeling the tightness come on and if I get too much I need to vomit. It is a thought, and after you realize how good it feels any sacrifice is worth it. Remember most asthma is allergy related, the trick is to find the trigger.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 18, 2009
    • 11:35 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement