Discussions By Condition: Obesessive Compulsive Disorder

PTSD causing OCD?

Posted In: Obesessive Compulsive Disorder 3 Replies
  • Posted By: KissMyBonesAway
  • October 6, 2007
  • 05:42 AM

I have been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I am constantly looking out my windows, locking my doors, unlocking, and re-locking them. I pace manicaly, over and over. When I'm not doing that I can sit at the computor just fine, but if a car, or any other type of vehicle rolls by, I have to check my locks, look out the windows and pace some more. And when I'm not doing that I'm cleaning. I suffer from Fibromyalgia as well, and the cleaning is making me suffer, but I cant seem to stop. The other day I re-arranged and moved around all the rooms except the: Kitchen, Pantry, and Bathroom. I am also Bi-Polar NOS and I take Lamictal for that and works very well. I am concerned that the PTSD is taking over my life and turning into a compulsive disorder.

I get scared out of my mind and can't sleep. When I do go to sleep, I'm up at 3 or 4 in the morning ready to start my day. I'll drink coffee and right into cleaning. HELP!

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• The things you describe definitely sound like OCD. Have you mentioned this to your psychiatrist? He or she may be able to prescribe an SSRI or something similar in addition to your bipolar meds. Anti-anxiety treatment (medicine and/or counseling) might also be helpful since you seem to believe your symptoms are caused by excess worry and stress.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2007
    • 04:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • ive been reading up on OCD. im sure i have it. lol the things of done and have always done since i was little (im now 18) are rediculous...yet unecessary.when i was younger i would do this "thing" where i would hop on one foot kinda..lol and also twitch my nose and eyes ALOT, wich i still do and i hate it. im getting better at controlling it thought.but now im finding myself constantly counting things...stupid things like.. the number of letters when im reading or...counting how many pins are on a board, or how many screws are on something. i also try to find patterns and i have a thing with numbers...i thought maybe i only liked even numbers but ive found that i dont like the number 15 too much or 14..nor 12...13 is good...16..nope...17...no...18...no. 23 i like...2,3,4,5 i like...any way i'll stop...but im always checking all the clocks in my house to make sure thier all the same time...but the one in my room is 5 minutes fast, and i know how to subtract 5 minutes to figure out the actual time but i have to go downstairs and check my phone and stove and microwave to make surew theyre all the same every morning like 5 times and make sure its right. its very time consuming. heh.i also trace letters alot when im writing and erasing and rewriting words or letters...wich is annoying and im on my senior year right now. hah. well i could go on FOR EVER with stupid things i do... i also have a number of rituals i perform...not even gonna get into that one...HAHAH...but from reading what OCD is all about i guess we do these things to take away images or unwanted thoughts or something? wich makes sense...tomorrow im going to try and catch myself doing one of my stupid things and see what im thinking. hah... well if u know of any advice..or medical things that can help or counelsing,,,anything.....please let me know...its annoying. lol -thanks...bri.
    annairb 6 Replies
    • November 26, 2007
    • 05:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi annairb,Your name is kind of like an OCD thing as well. You combine words in a certain way although it's cool. But it's kind of like a cryptic message lol.I find that I am similar in certain ways to how you describe yourself. I count numbers or find patterns in things or find out how they are symmetrical or do things in weird ways which leads people to think that I am brainy or something... But I know how frustrating it can be. Or annoying, or time-consuming... Most people don't understand how it is, and probably don't have to put up with it on a daily basis, and might laugh or giggle if they find out about what people do. But the truth is, it feels weird if you don't do it (Perform the ritual) sometimes, and that is weird about it. Is that sometimes, we just have certain feelings towards some things that can only be tackled by doing something (That other people might call) "weird". But there may very well be a way out of this "illness". And although it's controversial, it may be the very cure that people need. You just have to believe it. And that is the hardest part sometimes.I recently, not too long ago, noticed that people had made a connection between mercury toxicity and OCD, which I am Now convinced has a huge role to play in the pathology of OCD. ( Putting the D in OCD) . You will find countless cases of people who have been cured of obsessive compulsive symptoms through chelation ( Although I MUST stress that this MUST be done safely and properly or you could hurt yourself badly). But unfortunately, your doctor won't tell you about this. Another thing is, that you should always listen to your doctor about what she/he says with regards to this but you should also realize that sometimes Doctors are the last people to jump on the band- wagon or cure-train or whatever and cures sometimes need to be saught through 'Non'- conventional means.Do some research on it. "Mercury toxicity""OCD""chelation""DMSA" or "Alpha Lipoic Acid"You'll aften find a strange connection between this and autoimmune conditions/disorders like fibromyalgia/CFS and or rheumatiod arthritis or whatever.Just check it out(Do some research). And be SURE NOT to have dental amalgams!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 16, 2007
    • 01:29 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement