Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

I'm confused!! Treated for Schizophrenia and now diagnosed with Asperger's

Posted In: Mental conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Mellorose
  • September 28, 2006
  • 11:56 AM

I am in need of more information.
My son was diagnosed with ADHD at age 7. He was put into special education even though his IQ was 120. He had poor social skills, and had a hard time with simple tasks like dressing himself, and things to that nature. At age 17 he started talking to himself and became easily confused with simple tasks. The doctors determined that he was schizophrenic and for 4 years he was put on different medications with poor results. Now at age 21 while in a treatment center, professionals there say that he has Asperger's Syndrome. They want to remove him from any pyschiatric treatment because of this finding. But from everything that I have read about Asperger's, I cannot find schizophrenic like symptoms such as talking to yourself. I need information quick because today I have a meeting with these mental health professionals who intend on stopping medication and sending him out of the mental health system. My son cannot function on his own.
Thank you for reading this, and I would appreciate any opinions.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement