Discussions By Condition: Back conditions

recently diagnosed with scleosis

Posted In: Back conditions 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 18, 2007
  • 01:34 PM

I've had back pain for nearly 15 - 20 years i have had mutiple diagnosies that always came back wrong, after getting pregnant and subsiquently having my son recently my back has been even worse, i was finally sent for x-rays and now have been told that there is scleosis on my x-ray and now have to have a blood test but my doctor hasn't said what i'm being tested for and i am having trouble finding anything about what scleosis is and what causes it. I have also bee told that i have a curve in my spine, i was never diagnosed with that and am wondering if i am getting worse??!

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• The term is actually scoliosis, and it means curvature of the spine. WOmen usually develop it about the age of 12 or 13 and the cause is unkown in most cases. As for back pain, it is typical for pregnancy to aggravate back pain, since the spine has to tilt back more as the weight in front increases, in order to keep balanced. Tilted vertebrae can pinch nerves too. Hope you feel better.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 1, 2007
    • 05:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Scoliosis is a progressive disease of the spine. The cause is unknown. It can affect people of all ages, and is often seen in children. Scoliosis can result in an unlevel body, and it can cause headaches, shortness of breath, back pain, digestive problems, menstrual-cycle disturbances, leg, hip and knee pain, chronic fatigue and mood swings. The majority of scoliosis cases do not require surgical treatment. Females have a risk of curve progression 10 times higher than males. It tends to run in families as well. Gallbladder problems are also often seen in these patients. The following treatments are not helpful in scoliosis:Chiropractic treatmentElectrical stimulationNutritional supplementsExercise. Hope this helps... Kiera
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 1, 2007
    • 07:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I would recommend acupuncture to help with this. Acupuncture is very helpful for back pain, and although it certainly will NOT reverse the scoliosis, it will help stop the progression of this disease. Please consider trying acupuncture. Visit www.acufinder.com to find a practitioner near you. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • November 1, 2007
    • 06:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Although chiropractic does not reverse the scoliosis, it can still be helpful for alleviating some of the focal pains, compressions, pinched nerves associated with the condition. Scoliosis progresses slowly, and does not usually require surgery unless severe.. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 3, 2007
    • 03:41 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement