Discussions By Condition: Back conditions

early morning back pain

Posted In: Back conditions 238 Replies
  • Posted By: mldyer
  • September 25, 2006
  • 00:53 PM

I was wondering if anyone else out there ever wakes up with back and flank pain when you've slept too long. I want to know what causes this. Sometimes the pain is so great that it wakes me up, but after urinating and moving around for about thirty minutes, the pain subsides. It even hurts to take in deep breaths sometimes.
Thank you for any help you can offer.

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • Sorry I don't have an answer but I do have the exact same problem and I can't for the life of me figure it out. It is like some one was punching me in the back all night. It is on and off in intensitity and goes away alot after moving around. I notice it is when I exhale that I have more pain on the side where my ribs may be scrunched together, like when I lay on my side, the other side will hurt when I exhale. It's like the bones touching each other hurts.A bone scan and bone density test came back negative for any problems, I can only assume it may be muscular, but I am guessing. Hopefully someone knows what this is.Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 11, 2006
    • 09:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too had a similar problem. I had couple of problems. One is my spinealignment was out of order and second is I have calcification on spine.Physical therapy fixed the spine alignment and suggested some exercise.Some strecthing exercise before going to bed is helping a lot. Unfortunately there is no cure for my calcification on my spine I haveto live with that for rest of my life.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 22, 2006
    • 06:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am woken of my sleep early morning after say around 5-6 hour of sleep with a severe pain in the mid back. The pain goes back if I sit for some time or get of on my feet. please email me on manojdxb@yahoo.com should anybody know anything about. Thanks in advance
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2006
    • 07:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • All of these symptoms sound like, to me, Ankylosing Spondylitis, I'm not saying that this is what you have but it wouldn't hurt to check it out. My husband has this. It is a form of arthritis and very hard to diagnose. You would need to see a Rheumatologist to be tested. You can check out www.kickas.org and read some of the other people's symptoms if you like. Oh and it also causes your spine to fuse together and calcify. It also affects your hips and ribs and other parts of your body too.If this is what you have you need to start some kind of treatment asap.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 13, 2006
    • 11:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was wondering if anyone else out there ever wakes up with back and flank pain when you've slept too long. I want to know what causes this. Sometimes the pain is so great that it wakes me up, but after urinating and moving around for about thirty minutes, the pain subsides. It even hurts to take in deep breaths sometimes.Thank you for any help you can offer.Same thing is happening to me. Please let me know if you figure anything out. Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 11, 2006
    • 10:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was wondering if anyone else out there ever wakes up with back and flank pain when you've slept too long. I want to know what causes this. Sometimes the pain is so great that it wakes me up, but after urinating and moving around for about thirty minutes, the pain subsides. It even hurts to take in deep breaths sometimes.Thank you for any help you can offer.I have had the EXACT symptoms for about 14 years or so. The longer I sleep the worse the pain. I have to get up and walk and also empty my bladder. The pain wakes me up and sometimes is unbearable. I saw a urologist and had back x-rays and no answers. Please post if you get any answers. I will do the same.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 20, 2006
    • 06:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the EXACT symptoms for about 14 years or so. The longer I sleep the worse the pain. I have to get up and walk and also empty my bladder. The pain wakes me up and sometimes is unbearable. I saw a urologist and had back x-rays and no answers. Please post if you get any answers. I will do the same.P.S. I was also wondering how long your back has been hurting. I am worried now, if it is what I have as mentioned below (ankylosing spondylitis) because it has been so long. I had a surgery last year, unrelated, but had to lay around for almost two weeks. The pain from my back and flanks from laying so much was completely unbearable. The surgery was nothing compared to the pain I had in from my back. It started in my early twenties and I am 36 now. I am female by the way. You? I also have noticed it hurts to take in a breath.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 20, 2006
    • 09:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have started with this really bad lower back pain it has been going on now for the last two weeks it is really bad on a morning , it some times wakes me up.I am 29 years old generally fit , mum of three. i have tried changing my pillows and mattress and that has not helped. I even thought it could be my kidneys , i have tried drinking lots of fluid through the day that has not helped i have only suffered for two weeks and i feel really down , when i go to bed i worry about what pain i will be in when i wake up . If any body has any advice please tell me. thankyou
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 23, 2006
    • 00:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My symptoms have been similar. Middle back pain that reaches down into kidney area by morning. Very uncomfortable to move in the morning. I have pain under ribs on both side next to sterum or directly under arms most days. I have been to 3 diff. Dr's and 2 different Chiro's over the last 4 months and nothing has changed. Bloodwork was inconclussive as well as x-ray and ultrasound (they did check for gallstones which I found out has very similar symptoms) . I am 33 and feel like an old man. I am about 25lbs over my target weight (they all seem to agree that I need to lose). I do have a little extra cargo on the front but nothing crazy. I think my next option is to get an MRI or call a Neurosurgeon. The worst thing about it is these Dr's are making me feel like I its in my head or a hypochondriac or something. Because they can not find anything they keep refering me to a Chiropractor. When the Chiro's can't get it taken care of they send me back to the Dr's. Meanwhile I get 4-5 hrs of sleep and no resolution.Sorry, just getting frustrated. Will let you know if MRI turns anything up.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 26, 2006
    • 11:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My symptoms have been similar. Middle back pain that reaches down into kidney area by morning. Very uncomfortable to move in the morning. I have pain under ribs on both side next to sterum or directly under arms most days. I have been to 3 diff. Dr's and 2 different Chiro's over the last 4 months and nothing has changed. Bloodwork was inconclussive as well as x-ray and ultrasound (they did check for gallstones which I found out has very similar symptoms) . I am 33 and feel like an old man. I am about 25lbs over my target weight (they all seem to agree that I need to lose). I do have a little extra cargo on the front but nothing crazy. I think my next option is to get an MRI or call a Neurosurgeon. The worst thing about it is these Dr's are making me feel like I its in my head or a hypochondriac or something. Because they can not find anything they keep refering me to a Chiropractor. When the Chiro's can't get it taken care of they send me back to the Dr's. Meanwhile I get 4-5 hrs of sleep and no resolution.Sorry, just getting frustrated. Will let you know if MRI turns anything up.Most doctors do that. Make the patient feel like it is in their head because they can't figure out what is wrong. It is so annoying. I have been going through it for many years. I gave up on them for a while. Now that I am older, I could care less what they think. I am going to be more persistent on the tests I want. I have the symptoms you have, among others. My post is the one above that states I have had the back problem for 14 years. I had unrelated problems i was dealing with so I gave up on my back but it is getting worse so now i am going to pursue it. I see a rheumatologist on Jan 6th and I hope he will try. I have never really had much testing done for my back. If i find anything out, I will post it for you. Take care and good luck. don't let them think it is all in your head!!! I don't think most of them really don't even care but where else do we have to turn. If it is not straight from the book they give up and then what are we supposed to do, ***l they are still getting paid for the visit.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 27, 2006
    • 07:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow - as I was reading these threads, I thought I had written them all. This is exactly what is happening to me. I'm 30 years old, not overweight by any means and I feel like I'm an 80 year old man when I wake up.After about 5-6 hours of sleep, I feel like someone beat me with baseball bats in the middle of my back. I went back home for Christmas and slept in my family's bed which was very soft and I woke up after 3 hours of sleep, crying like a little baby because I was in so much pain. It felt like someone beat me in the middle of my back until it was like raw hamburger meat.I have an appointment with a urologist in a couple weeks to check to see if it's kidney related before anything, due to kidney cancer running in my family.If anyone finds a solution, please let me know - clarksvillephotographer@msn.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 31, 2006
    • 05:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I feel your pain. Most mornings I wake up and have to roll back and forth until I practically fall out of bed. The last couple of days haven't been bad, but most, like you said, it feels like someone has kicked me in the back all night. I have started sleeping in our spare bedroom because the mattress is firm. It seems to help a little but it is still painful.At first I thought I had walking pneumonia (had that and Bronchitis a few years back) again because it feels almost the same way. The Pneum/Bronch was a bit more extreme. It felt like the mornings but lasted 24/7. The only way to get rid of Pn/Brch was a hospital visit full of antibiotics & Morphine.Thats not the case this time for me, but it might be worthwhile for you to get checked for walking pneumonia. Anyways.. good luck with your appointment. I am getting an MRI next week so I will tell you what they say.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 31, 2006
    • 09:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • add me to this list of person with this mysterious morning back malady. I am 47 yr. old man in good health. A fitness swimmer and until 2 years ago avid triathlete. After 5 to 6 hours of sleep I get the cutting pain in my sides and it is relieved once I am on my feet walking about. I have no problems during the day or when I go to bed at night. It is frustrating not being able to rest peacefully after the alloted 6 hours my sides allow me to have before they growl at me. I have been seeing a chiropracter with no success and have set an appointment for a therapeutic massage. I also spent $2500 on new bed with no success. If I get relief I will be happy to share in this forum> Greg
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 1, 2007
    • 01:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have similar symptoms...unexplained early morning back pain..a dull pain around my hips, my lower back and sometimes up to my middle back. Every morning I wake up after 6 hours of sleep. My only 'day' symptoms are neck and back symptoms. My Rheumatologist thinks I may have Ankylosing Spondylitis. My blood work tested positive and I have an MRI next week.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2007
    • 04:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This is an interesting thread. I was just at the doctor this morning with the exact same symptoms which Greg describes above. I'm 35, in good shape and wake up every morning after about 6 hours. I get out of bed and the pain goes away. I bought a new materess and had blood work to check my kidneys. The blood work came back negative and the mattress, all be it very nice and comfortable, hasn't helped. My doctor recommend I see a physical therapist which I will do later in the week. I post any progress I have. –Seth
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2007
    • 10:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This is an interesting thread. I was just at the doctor this morning with the exact same symptoms which Greg describes above. I'm 35, in good shape and wake up every morning after about 6 hours. I get out of bed and the pain goes away. I bought a new materess and had blood work to check my kidneys. The blood work came back negative and the mattress, all be it very nice and comfortable, hasn't helped. My doctor recommend I see a physical therapist which I will do later in the week. I post any progress I have. –SethI am the one that posted the thread above about back pain now for about 14 years. I saw a neurologist, just a few hours ago actually. He said he believes it is musculoskeletal and to see a physical therapist. He didn't run any tests. I guess I will see. I will keep everybody posted.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 05:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was doing searches this morning to find out what was going on with my back. This morning I woke up and could barely move. I felt like I was hit by a truck. This has happened to me on and off before, but today was the worst. I was crying like a baby with the pain. I have also noticed the hard time breathing in sometimes and a rash on my right arm. I have always had cold sores so that wasnt a big deal but im tired ALL the time no matter what.While I was searching I came across a site about Lupus. 1 in 10 people will get lupus. And apparently it can take years sometime to diagnos it because it is not diagnosed by one particular test. I invite you all to do some research and ask your drs about it. Read more here. http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/l/lupus/symptoms.htmAgain, It could be just plain kidney infections. But its good to be prepaired. Not all doctors are and sometimes we have to take responsibility for our own illnesses.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2007
    • 01:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been dealing with the exact same problem for about a year now. I am 32 years old, slim and in pretty good shape. Every single morning, after about 5 to 6 hours of sleep, I wake up with mid-back pain. Just a few minutes after getting out of bed, the pain is gone. I saw a chiropractor who helped but couldn't fix the issue after almost 30 visits. I saw a neurologist who ran 3 MRI's (all normal), blood work (also normal), and dismissed me. I saw my internal medicine doctor who ran everything else under the sun and found nothing either. I have a visco-elastic bed and thought that might be causing the issue, but after sleeping on a number of different beds, I've found out that some can make it worse, but none of them make it go away. I've basically learned to live with it now, but it sure would be nice to get 8 hours of painfree sleep one night.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 10, 2007
    • 02:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I just came across this thread today. I have exactly the same symptoms. Has anyone gotten an answer of what it is? Strange that so many of us have the same symptoms, but there is no diagnosis. I would love to sleep for more than six hours.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2007
    • 07:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I can't believe I found other people who have the same issue. I flip and flop back and forth with pain every morning. I have had this for 4-5 years now. Been through 2 new (expensive) beds, every test imaginable, and no one can find anything wrong. I am so tired some days I lay down for an hour or two just to have sleep without pain. That must throw off my night time sleep but I don't care because it is pain free. I hope someone can offer some good suggestions because I think I am alone out here.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 13, 2007
    • 00:02 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement