Discussions By Condition: Hair conditions

Hair loss - thyroid related?

Posted In: Hair conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: glorybe
  • September 14, 2007
  • 09:59 PM

Just in the last two weeks, I have been losing the hair on my scalp. I am a caucasion female in my early 50's. My hair ranges from 4 to 9 inches long. My hair care process for years has been: I brush my hair just before washing it with an everyday type shampoo using no conditioner, no blow dry, no curlers, no bleach, no dye, no hairspray, no rough handling. Comb with a wide tooth comb while still wet. (I know this is supposed to be a no-no, but I have been doing it for years - so sue me.) I seldom if ever pin it up tight. I do not have dandruff or itchy scalp. My skin and scalp are excessively oily. I have been shampooing everyday for probably 35 years!
What has been going on just in the last two weeks: I brush my hair, clean out all the hair in the brush. Shampoo my hair as normal. My hair comes out - not in clumps, but it still comes out in my hands - while shampooing. I comb out my hair near a trash can because so much hair comes out in comb. Everytime I brush my hair during the day, I get a hand full of hair in the brush - much more than I ever have in my life.
All four of my grandparents and both my parents had full heads of hair, but two of my three brothers are bald. No sisters.
My body does not produce enough thyroid hormone, so I take Levoxyl (synthetic thyroid) and have been for about 10 years. My thyroid level was checked last month and was fine.
Here is my theory: I was hospitalized two months ago and was not given/allowed Levoxyl for a solid two weeks. Could that two week hiatus two months ago be causing my hair loss now? :confused:
Meanwhile, should I cut my hair short now and be done with it? :(

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement