Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Is this a LEAD NIGHTMARE

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: beyond frustrated
  • September 6, 2007
  • 03:52 AM

My son was born 4 weeks early, low birth weight (5lb 8oz), refusing to eat for almost 24 hrs and when he finally did, he refused the bottle, had to be breast feed. Has NEVER slept through the night (max is about 5 hrs). For the first two years he was fussy, had stomache aches, vomiting, delayed speech. At 2 yrs old he was test for lead and his lead level was 9. This was 4 weeks after starting him, acually all of us, on a high calcium, high iron etc... diet for suspected lead poisoning, so it probably was higher. We all had elevated lead level and probably had for some time including during my pregnancy.
The Lead paint was found and "removed". The symptoms went away, Well except for the not sleeping. Doctor said that had become a (BAD) habit and would take time to break.
My son is now 14 year old and suffers from severe headaches, stomache aches, nausea, side/back pain, vomiting, sleep problems, moody (more than just being a teen). He has had minor bouts of these symptoms all his life, But the last 3-4 years it has become more frequent, almost weekly (last year he missed 80+ days of school due to illness). To the point were he has become lethargic and ends up at the ER, were they put on an IV for dehydration and anti-nausea meds to stop the vomiting.
He has been tested for cushings, crohn's, thyroid, hepatitis, even drug use.
Test have shown enlarge liver, elevated liver enzymes, hyperinsulinism (455.4 ,2 hr test) with insulin spots deposit on the skin, his last lead test (this year) was 17.
He has been diagnosed with ADD, ADHD and Depression. He has always been and still is in special ed and has been in school from the age of two, starting with speech therophy. But he is still way behind ( make up work is done at home)
Resently we found out that all of the lead paint was not removed. It is in the windows, which we just started openning again about 3-4 years ago. Kept them closed except when lined and AC unit in them (paranoid mother).
Doctors say his Lead levels are/ have not been high enough to be causing these symptoms and/ or any damage. And the levels are not a real concern because he is not under the age of six. "He is overweight and needs to cut carbs, but cutting carbs with hyperinslinism result in hypoglycemia." And "he is overweight because of the hyperinsulinism which he has because he is overweight". Feel a circle there?
He is on no medications, no drugs, very limited sweets and soda and is active.
Does anyone else think all of this is Lead related or have other ideas ?
Am I just being a paranoid mother ?
Please help, beyond frustrated is an understatement.

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• Has he been tested for other types of infections like EB, Mycoplasma , Ehrlichiosis, Babesiosis,& Lyme ? Did they treat to remove the lead from his system? Diet alone wouldn't do that. Did they treat the liver poblem? There are many causes of sleep issues, have they done a sleep study? Do some searches on what I have mentioned, prehaps they will help shed some light in another direction. Best wishes, Dee
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 7, 2007
    • 10:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello Dee, Thank you for your suggestions.The insulin spots are on his neck and underarms, they are not a rash.They are brown and kind of look like dirt. In fact the poor kid has spent years being told to wash by myself, his father and his teachers. But it's not dirt and it doesn't wash off. The high calcium, iron and vitamin c diet helps block the lead from being absorbed into your body. No treatment for his liver or his sleep issues. Nothing other than diet was ever done about the lead, his level wasn't high enough, in our state the level has to be 20 or higher to even warrant a home inspection.
    beyond frustrated 2 Replies
    • September 7, 2007
    • 00:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My son was born 4 weeks early, low birth weight (5lb 8oz), refusing to eat for almost 24 hrs and when he finally did, he refused the bottle, had to be breast feed. Has NEVER slept through the night (max is about 5 hrs). For the first two years he was fussy, had stomache aches, vomiting, delayed speech. At 2 yrs old he was test for lead and his lead level was 9. This was 4 weeks after starting him, acually all of us, on a high calcium, high iron etc... diet for suspected lead poisoning, so it probably was higher. We all had elevated lead level and probably had for some time including during my pregnancy. The Lead paint was found and "removed". The symptoms went away, Well except for the not sleeping. Doctor said that had become a (BAD) habit and would take time to break.My son is now 14 year old and suffers from severe headaches, stomache aches, nausea, side/back pain, vomiting, sleep problems, moody (more than just being a teen). He has had minor bouts of these symptoms all his life, But the last 3-4 years it has become more frequent, almost weekly (last year he missed 80+ days of school due to illness). To the point were he has become lethargic and ends up at the ER, were they put on an IV for dehydration and anti-nausea meds to stop the vomiting.He has been tested for cushings, crohn's, thyroid, hepatitis, even drug use.Test have shown enlarge liver, elevated liver enzymes, hyperinsulinism (455.4 ,2 hr test) with insulin spots deposit on the skin, his last lead test (this year) was 17. He has been diagnosed with ADD, ADHD and Depression. He has always been and still is in special ed and has been in school from the age of two, starting with speech therophy. But he is still way behind ( make up work is done at home) Resently we found out that all of the lead paint was not removed. It is in the windows, which we just started openning again about 3-4 years ago. Kept them closed except when lined and AC unit in them (paranoid mother).Doctors say his Lead levels are/ have not been high enough to be causing these symptoms and/ or any damage. And the levels are not a real concern because he is not under the age of six. "He is overweight and needs to cut carbs, but cutting carbs with hyperinslinism result in hypoglycemia." And "he is overweight because of the hyperinsulinism which he has because he is overweight". Feel a circle there?He is on no medications, no drugs, very limited sweets and soda and is active.Does anyone else think all of this is Lead related or have other ideas ?Am I just being a paranoid mother ?Please help, beyond frustrated is an understatement.Hi How have his lead levels been tested?Apparently blood is not very accurate.The most accurate is meant to be a 24 hour provoked urine challenge.Thankyoupills11.com ;))
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 7, 2007
    • 05:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • They were blood tests. The only type these doctors will do or probably even know off.
    beyond frustrated 2 Replies
    • September 8, 2007
    • 01:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sorry to hear of all you and your son are going through. I don't think you are being paranoid at all! Sounds like your son is having toxicity issues - have you considered a more holistic approach? Naturopathy, homeopathy, acupuncture, NAET, Bioset and other modalities may be very helpful. I personally am a huge fan of NAET (just read all my other posts;) ) as I have found this treatment to be very very helpful, and noninvasive. NAET is brilliant for ADD, autism, and autoimmune dysfunction. A good naturopath who is experienced in chelation therapy may be helpful, but make sure you find a good one and go slowly with chelation therapy - it can be strong. The liver has a great ability to regenerate and heal itself. But it sounds like your son needs some help with this. This is obviously a chronic condition and will take some time to heal. But I think if you combine Western testing with complimentary/holistic treatments you will notice a real difference. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • September 8, 2007
    • 03:52 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement