Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

I've been depressed for some time now but...

Posted In: Mental conditions 23 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 20, 2006
  • 10:58 PM

My mom is in her own world of thinking life is fine and I have nothing to worry about but school. I beg to differ. I've been well... "sad" since around 8th grade (I'm in 11th grade now) but ever since the beginning of this year, I felt a whole lot worse. Just recently, my medication has run out and therefore, I had stopped taking it. It was for stress and since I stopped taking it, I have a much harder time to remembering. It's affecting my ability to work in school and I have no idea how to help myself, to get myself out of this dark cloud. I have no one to turn to in fear of my mom finding out and punishing me. My older sister is depressed as well and it started about 4 years ago. She cuts herself AND is on anti-depressants. She can't help me--how can she when she can't help herself? Please try to respond and tell me how I could get out of this? Please!

Reply Flag this Discussion

23 Replies:

• Can You Go To Your Schools Counselor or an Aunt or Uncle or Clergy. And ask for some help especially if you need the Meds.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2006
    • 09:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Please find someone that you could talk to. call the teen hot line, or yell at the top of your lungs untell your mom sends you to your doctor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2006
    • 09:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I agree with the other respondents. It's really very important that you get some meds, and that you don't lose any gains that you've attained so far. And remember, since you have more of that illness in your family, you would probably be helping your folks rather than hurting them by being a good influence. Best thing to do is go to a guidance counselor, nurse, sysmpathetic teacher, peace councellor or pharmacist Wish you and your family the best of luck.Regards,Dr FeelgoodwhenItakemyrx I think I know somethat of what I speak. Get Rx or at least tell someone.Regards,Dr FeelGoodWhenITakeMyRx,
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 21, 2006
    • 05:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am depressed myself. I am going to be 31 and I have a six year old daughter. I am the only child and also myself have tough parents.When I first realized I was depressed and had anxiety attacks, I didn't know what to do, because like you my parents would have thought that I was just being weird. They would say there is nothing wrong with you. But there is. So the best advice I can give you, is you need to go back to the dr somehow and get back on the meds. I'm on meds too. But if you need them you need them. I felt at first like they were controlling me, but they really do help. You are very young and have a whole life before you. You and your sister both need help. You need to go back to the dr and get the meds and try to seek some mental help with a phscologist. If my six year old grew up and said mom I feel depressed I would seek help for her. When my parents first found out I was on Medications they freaked out. As time went on things became easier with them but not everything else.Sincerely,MelissaP.S. Find whoever will listen to you to help you. Try and tell, yell, cry to get your moms attention.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 8, 2006
    • 02:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had depression since I was around 12 (pretty young). I'd get bullied a lot and used to cry to my parents that I wanted to be home schooled. My parents didn't give a ***t since I have an older brother who had just been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrom around the same time. I felt very alone all through my teens up until highschool. In highschool is wasn't as bad since the maturaty level of some people went up (like 5% lol) I started to realize then that it wasn't me that was wrong, it was them, and as long as I knew that I was a better person then they were then it was enough to get me through the day. What ever you do, and I know alot of depressed people do this, don't put others down to make yourself feel better cuz it wont. There are things you can do to make yourself feel better and its pretty simple. Sometimes I pre-occupy myself with something so I don't have to feel any emotions. I started a Myspace page (ya I know, lame) but I really like it cuz I can post my peevs and likes and whatnot and people respond pretty well for the most part. I sorta get lost in updating and changing my layouts and stuff cuz it's what I like to do. And seriously, as far as your mom goes, nothing you say will get her to listen, all it'll do is sound like wining. Moms suck lol! Especially if there depressed too cuz nothing you say is gonna be nearly as bad as what they've (at least thats how they make it seem). I don't know really what else to say ecsept I hope everything gets better for you. I know it'll get better trust me... I used to be practically suicidal and now I'm just homocidal! lol! I'm just playing. Oh yeah, and excirsizing helps too. They say it releases endorphines or whatever. (It really does though cuz I started excersizing and I felt a difference within weeks) Hope that helps!!!Manda
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 10, 2006
    • 04:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I would say to try taking it to the Lord. When you have no other person to turn to, he is always there. I have been in the bottom of the pit, looking up, and didn't have anyone to turn to except God and it is amazing how many blessings I have received (over and over). It doesn't come over night, but once he realizes that you are serious about your hearts desire, he won't let it go void. You do also need to talk to a counselor because the Lord put experienced people here to help us that need it. It can work together. Your life hasn't ended. I promise it will work and I will pray for you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 12, 2006
    • 02:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Stop trying to get attention and complaining to other people. You dont need anyones help, you just need to stop choosing to be "depressed." Help yourself. You can do it. Join a youth group at church. Join any and all clubs you are intrested in at school. Study hard. Get involved in the community. Do community service. Start a buisness. Play some online video games against other people. If you do these things, you wont even have time to think about being depressed.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 13, 2006
    • 05:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Start by having more faith in yourself. To be honest, its not the drugs that will 'cure' you of depression in the end, but you yourself. Look on the bright side of life, make it a personal challenge to find the silver lining on clouds that come your way. And finally, when you find some time alone, go to a silent place and meditate. Ignore everything that comes into your mind and concentrate on your breathing. Meditation helps calm you as well as your thoughts.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 14, 2006
    • 02:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was a depressed teen, and do my best to deal as an adult. I have a sibling with BPD and Bulemia. In other words, I understand what you have shared. You feel desperate, but also afraid--afraid of being listened to or causing even more upheaval in your household by getting the help you need. It's hard, because all teenagers feel isolated, abnormal and "sad" at some level--so people try to trivialize what you're going through. Only you know what it is like, and your experience should be honored as what it is. However, know one can help you if you don't share your experience in the first place. Finding something to do that makes you feel good about yourself (and is self-building rather than self-destructive) like tutoring other kids or doing yard work for seniors in your neighborhood or working out is a good idea. Whether or not you are clinically depressed or just experiencing teenage-ness at an extreme, these things will help you feel better. Exercise helps. Eating good helps. Having someone to confide in helps.But if you really need meds, you really need meds and should actively work to get the help you need. My sibling grew up at a time before these disorders were well known and medication common. The end result is usually self-medication--and without a professional's help this usually means things that are self-destructive: drug abuse, alcohol abuse, bulemia...Please, I urge you to get professional help if you feel unable to deal. Self-medication may seem like a good thing when you start, but in the end it makes things SO much worse and only saddles you with more mental problems and more health complications. That means you might have to endure your mom's reaction to what you have to say, but if it gets you the meds and some good counseling, isn't it worth the risk of having to hear her yell for a minute? I'd say go to a counselor or crisis line, too, but the help you can get without the permission/consent/$$$ from your legal guardian may be too limited. Believe it or not, it is a rare parent that actually wants their child to suffer. Of course, parents are human, too--meaning they can have disorders, diseases and issues that make them unable to help in a way you may need. BUT, until you solicit her help, you really don't know how your mom is going to react. Also, how you ask for help can really make a difference--throwing a dramatic fit may get some attention, but maybe not the productive kind--especially if you mom is truly not wanting to hear what you have to say. If you're worried about her reaction, go do some research on your own--make an appt with a psychiatrist (who can prescribe meds) or psychologist, pick up the consent papers, solicit some brouchures from a crisis center or local govt's mental health center. Sit down like an adult and explain how you are feeling to your mom, show her what you have learned and that you really would like to seek some help--so much so that you have already made an appt--and that you would like her permission to continue treatment. If this really scares you, ask an objective person to help--a school counselor or nurse or social worker. This third person can help mediate and intervene so the discussion is rational rather than emotional. If your mom still seems unreasonable about this, you may need to proceed without her. That's scary, but if you do I guarantee two things: doing SOMETHING makes you feel better than doing nothing and if you take positive action you will start to feel better about yourself, your abilities and your own competence as a human being. Meds may help regulate your brain chemistry, but they can't change how you feel about yourself. And in the end, you need a change in both to truly feel better. I wish you well, and hope that you can get what you need to find healing. You are not alone. You are cared for, and you deserve to have your experience honored. But at the same time, you have a responsibility to communicate that experience (just like you did on this forum), so the people who care about you in your everyday, "real" life can love you, too.It's been a while since your first post, has anything changed? Could you give us an update? i'm worried about you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 10:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • yes ,update please.any depressed person would do well to find a copy of "rational emotive therapy" by albert ellis. it is the most accessible and applicable psychotherapy you will find.usually helps a lot .
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 28, 2007
    • 02:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I know what you're going through. I've been horribly depressed ever since the 9th grade (I'm now a freshman in college). Some days its okay, but other days it's nearly unbearable. You feel like you're all alone, and no one really understands where you're coming from; truth be told, they don't. I've been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) last semester, and actually only a week ago was diagnosed with Severe Anxiety Disorder. I know what it's like to run out of medication, it does mess with your memory, and you can go into withdrawal. My mother also thought that I didn't have it so hard aside from school, but I actually just sat her down and talked to her about it. I tried to remain as calm as possible, but I ended up breaking down and bawling my eyes out-- I think that really showed her how much pain I was in. If anything, at least try to talk to your mother about it, if she isn't willing to help you, there are always other people who are. You can always take yourself to the doctor, if you are diagnosed with depression or whatnot, it is crucial to take the necessary steps to recovery; remember that medication is only an aid in helping the pain, it won't solve your problems. As for your sister who is depressed and is cutting herself, maybe you two could form a sort of support for each other. Clearly she needs someone and so do you, so why not be there for each other? It's not always easy to help yourself, that's why it's easier to work through your problems with someone else. They've tried to get me to go to a counselor, but the thing is, I don't know what it is that is making me like this. Granted, depression and anxiety disorders run in my family due to chemical imbalances, there are still other alternatives to ridding myself of depression that aren't destructive. Surround yourself with things that make you happy, surround yourself with positive people, and if they aren't positive or if they seem a little too negative, don't feel obligated to be around them. You need to find what makes you happy and stick to it. Also, don't let someone else be your key to happiness, let it be something on your own. Everything has its own way of working out, even though it might not seem like it right now. Hope this helps!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 28, 2007
    • 08:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have recently been diagnosed with depression also. I believe that I started in high school around 11th grade. After my boyfriend broke up with me. Then when I was in 12th grade my mom would always forget things and loose things all the time and it scared me. I felt as if I was turning out to be just like her. After I graduated high school my mom went to the hospital for a staff infection in her finger. While she was there my dad had the Dr.'s do a cat scan and found that she had Alzheimers. Boy was that scary for a teen. I hated my mother because she couldn't remember things, and would lose things, and I would say how could you be so stupid your glasses are right ontop of your head. I was angry at her and thought that I was going to get it too. She was in her early 50's and I was 18. My mom passed away over 9 1/2 years ago at the age of 63, when I was only 28. Unfortunately I didn't get alot of time with her as a married adult and with my own children. They didn't understand why grandma barked and couldn't talk to them, and when she did you didn't understand what she was talking about.Over time I have been sad and depressed off and on. Since my first child which I had at 20, to my last child who is now 2. (I have 7 kids that's enough to make anyone crazy)My husband didn't understand why I would act one way and then all of a sudden be so sad and down. Often I would hear that I just need to get over it and be happy. Last year he had had enough and wanted to go to counseling. He wasn't one that thought that people need medication to get better, it is your attitude and outlook on life. I don't totally disagree but sometimes things just feel so hopeless and it is hard not to be negative and down. He still thinks that I can change but I don't want to. He is right to a degree. I don't have any desire because I'm depressed! I finally went to my Dr. because I was willing to try something to save my relationship of over 17 years.I guess I've basically had postpartum depression with most of my children and was imbarrassed to admit that I had a real problem and didn't want to have to take drugs for the rest of my life. I still don't like to take them and my children know that mom is crazy, but I'm trying to get better despite Mr. Possitive (my husband) always harping on me to stop yelling and being so negative, and get rid of that sad face and scowl. Sometimes I just need to yell and get mad so I get things done. I'm not giving up and I have many other problems such as ADD which seem to make a lot of sense. It isn't really all my fault. But there are things that we can do until we can get back onto the road of recovery. Pray to your Heavenly Father and ask for his help to give you strength to do your best and he will help you. Make and choose good friends who will be supportive of your trying to make yourself a better person. Get involved in your church or go to a church that has programs for youth. There are adults that really care about youth and want to help them. Do service for others either in your community or in your church "When you are in the service of your fellow beings, you are only in the service of you God." When you serve others you not only make them feel good but you feel good about it too. Sometimes we get lost and need a purpose and direction and church can help with that. We are all children of God and each one is special to him. Didn't *****t leave the ninety and nine to go and find the one that was lost and bring it back into the fold? Yes, he did because we are all important to ***********t and our Father in Heaven. The Lord will bless you because you are a special daughter of God! Keep trying! Talk to your mom and dad and tell them how you feel. You felt better when you were taking your medicine and it was helping you but now that you've stopped you are regressing. If money is an issue or insurance maybe you could look into State funding such as medicade or something similar. Don't ever give up you are too special and so is your sister. Maybe there are things that you two can do to help each other out. It sounds as if she is really hurting inside, but hurting herself on the outside doesn't solve her problems. She needs to search for a new release. Maybe when she feels like doing that to herself you could go for a walk or run with her. Do some kind of exercise. Smile and try to keep your chin up. :]
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 3, 2007
    • 07:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have been depressed for 4 years now - it has taken me this long to finally accept it. throughout these 4 years i have put on a brave face and not shown how i really feel, but in the past 6months or so i have felt extremely suicidal. not so long ago i took an overdose, but that didnt quite work out (apart from me feeling very ill and tired), so i took another one 3 days after that.i self harm - from the beginning i did little things like scratches, but now i am scalding myself and leaving deep scars. i put myself in dangerous situations and i no i do - for example wen travelling in my family's car i dont where my seat belt - even on the motorway. i no wot to do anymore i have no plans to go on holiday or even enjoy anything anymore. i cant believe im actually saying all this i neva normally let these thoughts out but i suppose it is because im anonymous on here and nobody knows who i am. :S i dont like talking about it to people, but i find it a bit easier to rite on here as no one knows who i am.nobody understands me and i feel very alone in this world (if this is a world - feeld like im in ***l and there is NO road to heaven) - i find it hard to believe im actually here sometimes - it feels too unreal. i dont feel as tho im actually a person and cant believe wen things happen, im actually there. i no im goin on abit - i know noone wil understand me on here so i will finish this post where it is and say bye.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 11:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have been depressed for 4 years now - it has taken me this long to finally accept it. throughout these 4 years i have put on a brave face and not shown how i really feel, but in the past 6months or so i have felt extremely suicidal. not so long ago i took an overdose, but that didnt quite work out (apart from me feeling very ill and tired), so i took another one 3 days after that.i self harm - from the beginning i did little things like scratches, but now i am scalding myself and leaving deep scars. i put myself in dangerous situations and i no i do - for example wen travelling in my family's car i dont where my seat belt - even on the motorway. i no wot to do anymore i have no plans to go on holiday or even enjoy anything anymore. i cant believe im actually saying all this i neva normally let these thoughts out but i suppose it is because im anonymous on here and nobody knows who i am. :S i dont like talking about it to people, but i find it a bit easier to rite on here as no one knows who i am.nobody understands me and i feel very alone in this world (if this is a world - feeld like im in ***l and there is NO road to heaven) - i find it hard to believe im actually here sometimes - it feels too unreal. i dont feel as tho im actually a person and cant believe wen things happen, im actually there. i no im goin on abit - i know noone wil understand me on here so i will finish this post where it is and say bye.sorri im jus adding on to this previous post i have written. i dont want to actually say that im suicidal to anyone in person, because i dont want to be locked up in a psych ward, wiv da crazy white jackets - i aint crazy and there are more important people out there than me, who need treatment more than i do. im jus depressed reali arent i? i have neva met anyone like me b4 in person (wel i dont suppose i eva will - if they are like me, then they wil not talk to anyone in person about their feelings) rite ok this is the end now so bye ppl
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 11:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Stop trying to get attention and complaining to other people. You dont need anyones help, you just need to stop choosing to be "depressed." Help yourself. You can do it. Join a youth group at church. Join any and all clubs you are intrested in at school. Study hard. Get involved in the community. Do community service. Start a buisness. Play some online video games against other people. If you do these things, you wont even have time to think about being depressed.Its a little more then just getting out of it. Obviously you have never been hit by real depression. It is awlful you couldn't get out to church if you wanted to. But I would like to suggest something to everyone here. Its cal NEU BECalm'd and it is a amino acid supplement. I have been on antidepressents before and as everyone knows the side effects. I was so depressed I was ready to try a new one, but then I read about amino acids, so I tried it. I feel like my old self after a week. I take one in the morning and one at night. Don't take too many or you will feel nasuea. I'm telling you this is so much better then going on a drug, its completely natural and it puts natural things back in your brain to produce the seroton and other chemicals you need in your brain. I am just amazed and so thankful that I found this and have to tell other people who need help. Look up the website. Its put out by NeuroGenesis. Hope it works for someone else that was in the constant pain I was in.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 07:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I WANT TO RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE: "I too have been depressed for 4 years now - it has taken me this long to finally accept it. throughout these 4 years i have put on a brave face and not shown how i really feel, but in the past 6months or so i have felt extremely suicidal. not so long ago i took an overdose, but that didnt quite work out (apart from me feeling very ill and tired), so i took another one 3 days after that.i self harm - from the beginning i did little things like scratches, but now i am scalding myself and leaving deep scars. i put myself in dangerous situations and i no i do - for example wen travelling in my family's car i dont where my seat belt - even on the motorway. i no wot to do anymore i have no plans to go on holiday or even enjoy anything anymore. i cant believe im actually saying all this i neva normally let these thoughts out but i suppose it is because im anonymous on here and nobody knows who i am. :S i dont like talking about it to people, but i find it a bit easier to rite on here as no one knows who i am.nobody understands me and i feel very alone in this world (if this is a world - feeld like im in ***l and there is NO road to heaven) - i find it hard to believe im actually here sometimes - it feels too unreal. i dont feel as tho im actually a person and cant believe wen things happen, im actually there. i no im goin on abit - i know noone wil understand me on here so i will finish this post where it is and say bye."There are other people out there that know exactly what you are feeling. I am one of them. I suffer every day of my life, but no one understand the meaning of the words. No one understands that emotional pain is far worse than physical. Sometimes, simply reading messages on a board like this helps because it makes you realize that although we do not personally know anyone that can relate to what we are feeling, there are indeed other people out there that can. You are accurate when you say that it is difficult to talk to those we know because we do not want to admit our dark thoughts because they will lose all respect for us. I hide behind my humor when I am around other people, but when I am alone, I cry uncontrollably. For years, I did try to feel better about myself through other people, but that is always a let down because I need so much that it honestly is impossible to fulfill. We should not lean toward other people to make us happy. So I started doing things for other people and their appreciation made me feel worthy. If you crack a joke and they smile, you feel that even though your own life is ***l, you helped make someone elses a little better. This works best with strangers because I feel that my family does not appreciate me in the first place. When you can't laugh, make someone else laugh. Trust me, it feels good. Take life as moments. If there is a moment in a day, that you felt good. Repeat whatever it was the next day. The moments will become more frequent. I am here if you would like to talk. I am not crazy. You are not crazy. This world is crazy, but we are a part of it and we have to find sanity within it. Don't hurt yourself. Don't mentally tear youself down. When you think no one in this life cares, you are wrong. I care. If I did not, I would not have written all I just have and in reality, this website is filled with people who care and have all taken the time to write.Please respond. I am here
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2007
    • 02:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Stop trying to get attention and complaining to other people. You dont need anyones help, you just need to stop choosing to be "depressed." Help yourself. You can do it. Join a youth group at church. Join any and all clubs you are intrested in at school. Study hard. Get involved in the community. Do community service. Start a buisness. Play some online video games against other people. If you do these things, you wont even have time to think about being depressed.You sound just like my parents when I told them i felt depressed, and you know what; it didnt help. Sometimes in life you need a bit more than the self help program and I'm telling you now, your not going to want to hear that sort of advice when your in a depression because it doesnt help and generally makes issues worse. Not dealing with anything makes the situation bigger and much more of a problem. The more you ignore something like depression with thinking you can just 'do more' takes the problem to a dangerous level. I suggest you consult a doctor about the obviously misinformed information you are dealing out before giving your opinion in the future!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2007
    • 06:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello everybody, I am 29 years old, I have a boyfriend who's severly depressed. He's suicidal but having no plans or ways to commit suicide. I know he hurts a lot. Lately he was made redundant and when I try to find opportunities for him, he just replies negatively and tries to block all the opportunities presented to him. I definately can't understand how it feels (although sometimes because of spending most of my time with him I feel I am becoming depressed too), but I know that he has so much pain inside that is preventing him from leading a normal life. He has no desire to dream -or is afraid of dreaming, because everybody he knew let him down, I was one of them!!!, but fortunately I can say I am there for him now-, he hates people, hates life, hates everything that is good, he wants to revenge from people. I am so much worried about my sweetheart but not sure what to do. I try to take him out whenever we could. Amazingly when we are out he looks just as a normal person, he can even make jokes and laugh! but once he's home (he lives alone in a small one room place) he isolates himself and I know the pain starts. We try jogging together, going to movies, or do any activities that I think will make him feel better, however I know that these activities are only momentary escape from life and reality. He's not doing any progress, on the contrary, he started to hang up the phone at my face (that's something he has never done before), I suggested to go to a psychiatrist together, but he refused. Please tell me, is it that his ego won't let him go with me to the Dr.? or depressed ppl really don't believe there is a way out of this ***l? Please help me, I love my boyfriend very much, I would do anything for him, anything it takes to take him out of this ***l. I just rememberd something else, he says he is nothing, he is dead, he is not a human being, he doesn't deserve to live. I am so desperate, I have tried to do everything I know, what other things can I do that make a change in his life?I WANT TO RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE: "I too have been depressed for 4 years now - it has taken me this long to finally accept it. throughout these 4 years i have put on a brave face and not shown how i really feel, but in the past 6months or so i have felt extremely suicidal. not so long ago i took an overdose, but that didnt quite work out (apart from me feeling very ill and tired), so i took another one 3 days after that.i self harm - from the beginning i did little things like scratches, but now i am scalding myself and leaving deep scars. i put myself in dangerous situations and i no i do - for example wen travelling in my family's car i dont where my seat belt - even on the motorway. i no wot to do anymore i have no plans to go on holiday or even enjoy anything anymore. i cant believe im actually saying all this i neva normally let these thoughts out but i suppose it is because im anonymous on here and nobody knows who i am. :S i dont like talking about it to people, but i find it a bit easier to rite on here as no one knows who i am.nobody understands me and i feel very alone in this world (if this is a world - feeld like im in ***l and there is NO road to heaven) - i find it hard to believe im actually here sometimes - it feels too unreal. i dont feel as tho im actually a person and cant believe wen things happen, im actually there. i no im goin on abit - i know noone wil understand me on here so i will finish this post where it is and say bye."There are other people out there that know exactly what you are feeling. I am one of them. I suffer every day of my life, but no one understand the meaning of the words. No one understands that emotional pain is far worse than physical. Sometimes, simply reading messages on a board like this helps because it makes you realize that although we do not personally know anyone that can relate to what we are feeling, there are indeed other people out there that can. You are accurate when you say that it is difficult to talk to those we know because we do not want to admit our dark thoughts because they will lose all respect for us. I hide behind my humor when I am around other people, but when I am alone, I cry uncontrollably. For years, I did try to feel better about myself through other people, but that is always a let down because I need so much that it honestly is impossible to fulfill. We should not lean toward other people to make us happy. So I started doing things for other people and their appreciation made me feel worthy. If you crack a joke and they smile, you feel that even though your own life is ***l, you helped make someone elses a little better. This works best with strangers because I feel that my family does not appreciate me in the first place. When you can't laugh, make someone else laugh. Trust me, it feels good. Take life as moments. If there is a moment in a day, that you felt good. Repeat whatever it was the next day. The moments will become more frequent. I am here if you would like to talk. I am not crazy. You are not crazy. This world is crazy, but we are a part of it and we have to find sanity within it. Don't hurt yourself. Don't mentally tear youself down. When you think no one in this life cares, you are wrong. I care. If I did not, I would not have written all I just have and in reality, this website is filled with people who care and have all taken the time to write.Please respond. I am here
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 07:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Stop trying to get attention and complaining to other people. You dont need anyones help, you just need to stop choosing to be "depressed." Help yourself. You can do it. Join a youth group at church. Join any and all clubs you are intrested in at school. Study hard. Get involved in the community. Do community service. Start a buisness. Play some online video games against other people. If you do these things, you wont even have time to think about being depressed.that's extremely insensitive. Although there's a certain amount of depression and anxiety that are superfluous and perhaps are there because the person chooses to think negatively, but on the other hand there is a lot more to depression than that. If you've ever been in a rut, you'd know that working your way out is a very slow and difficult process. The girl is writing to an online resource for help...not cause she wants attention from you. who needs attention from a medical website? that being said, I do agree that coming up with stuff to do, even if your heart is not in it at first, is a good idea. Make your body take the first steps, your heart will follow eventually. I've found that when I'm having trouble feeling good or motivated the best thing to do is force myself to get to the gym. The workout releases "feel good" chemicals and seretonin that will make you feel better almost immediately. And to boot, you can feel proud of yourself for doing something good for your body!good luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Exercise is #1 to help with depression. Nutritional supplementation is #2. There are many nutritional deficiencies which can cause depression. Get yourself the very best nutritional supplement you can afford - stay clear of the cheap ones as you are just throwing your money away. Good brands are futurebiotics, Rainbow Life, Country Life, and the very best one, top of the line, is called INTRAMAX (only sold thru docs and other healthcare providers). Visit www.vitacost.com for great prices on supplements, and www.druckerlabs.com for info on INTRAMAX. Nutritional deficiencies are just rampant in our society, especially with our youth. We're simply not getting all our nutrients from our food. I am a huge advocate for supplementation. All the B vitamins, cal, mag, pot, essential fatty acids (omega 3-6-9) and many others. Experiment with a few brands and find one that works for you. Since I have incorporated regular exercise and started taking Intramax, I feel such a greater sense of wellbeing! And certainly some antidep. meds may help you, but often they cause even worse side effects. if you take meds, just be sure to take supplements 2 hours before or after the meds and you should be fine. Sorry for such a long thread, but I feel very strongly that this will help.Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement