Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

OCD in Children

Posted In: Mental conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 3, 2007
  • 01:40 PM

My ex wife and I have been divorced for 3 years. She tends to want to attract attention from those around her. She called me last night and "informed me" that our 8 year old son has OCD. After listening to her and the "symptoms" that she "saw" I had to interject that I saw none of the symptoms (counting to 10, sitting on his behind and balancing with his feet up for 10 seconds, picking up a cup to drink the same way every time, when he reads she said he rubs each ear a certain way)

I am very very close to my boys (emotionally and geographically (their home with their mother and their home with me are 10 minutes apart)...I volunteer at their school, I coach their teams, I particiapte in activities with them...the boys spent 75% of the summer with my wife and I (who has a Masters in family counseling).....the point that I am making is that we have a tremendous amount of exposure to my sons

I commented to my ex that I would certainly look for these traits but explained that I, my wife, my family etc did not see them.

She has labeled my son with OCD without having a formal diagnosis...she tells everyone that "my son has OCD".....she teaches school at my sons school and has commented to multiple teachers that "my son has OCD".....it is my opinion, that she is doing this to get attention.

My concern is for my son. If we collectively see signs of OCD then we must get this looked at by a professional.........in the mean time, it breaks my heart that their mother finds it too easy to apply labels, labels that can and will stick with the child throughout their lives

Has anyone run into a similar situation....does anyone have any advice as to how to handle this (my ex wife is very combative and fancies herself as an expert in many areas)

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement