Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

opiate addiction

Posted In: Mental conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: ladiwolf44
  • August 24, 2007
  • 05:55 AM

I am trying desperately hard to get off of opiates. I have been recieving them for months for a broken back.. I can't stand the cold turkey quit. Any suggestions?

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• I took opiates for 2 1/2 years, some Percoset and mostly Vicodin. I had two lumbar disc bulges that were finally managed by a treatment called Radio Frequency Ablation. It burns through the nerves that deliver the pain signals to the brain. I knew that when the pain disappeared I needed to get off my 5-6 Vicodin a day regimen. But I needed some guidance to do it. My doctor is super. We made up a plan which gradually reduced my dosage on a week to week schedule, reducing just enough to eventually get to the end without making me super uncomfortable or cause unnecessary withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms can be eased by taking any Beta Blocker (used for hypertension), usually Clonidine. But I never had to take any because we did it gradually. The first week I took 4 per day. The second week, I was allowed enough pills for 3 1/2 most days but a couple extra if I had a few pains on some days. The third week was limited to 3 a day. The fourth week was 2 1/2 with a couple extra. This continued until my final week when I took one each morning and that was it. On my first day without it, I did notice it was gone. But no real withdrawal effects. I was on 5/325's all that time. I have to admit that my addiction was mostly psychological because I had made Vicodin my friend for 2 1/2 years, beginning when I was in great pain. It made it possible for me to get the pain down to a tolerable level. But intellectually, I did not want to remain dependant on it. I had to really want to get off of it. I would suggest you do it with a doctor's assistance, or if you don't have a doctor, get help from a trusted friend for support and accountability. I feel really proud of myself because I didn't want to depend upon it forever. I wish you the best of luck.
    Vickie in Phoenix 4 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement