Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Painful skin and no answers!!!

Posted In: Skin conditions 297 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 17, 2006
  • 05:12 PM

I am so trying to find out why I have skin pain. I do not experience the pain all the time. I maybe have it 3 or 4 times a month. The skin is so sensitive to the touch and to clothing it is sometimes unbearable. It does not burn or itch nor does it discolor and I have no other noticable symptoms with it. The doctors look at me like I am out of my tree!!! Is there anyone else with this out there and may know what it is?

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • Same here. If my husband rubs my back, it feels like he is using sandpaper. I don't know what it is. I also have burning under the skin, like my veins are burning. I just found out I have PCOS and insulin resistance syndrome. I wonder if this has anything to do with it. ?Sorry there are no more answers, I was hoping while reading your post that someone may have found the problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 19, 2006
    • 03:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Well, I'm not crazy after all. I have had this since I was about 10 years old. People think I'm crazy when I try to describe it. It comes on periodically for no apparent reason, striking in my arms, legs, or torso, but only in one area at a time, and will last a couple of days or so. It goes away as mysteriously as it comes. To describe the feeling is just about impossible. It's somewhere between a painful and a burning feeling, especially to the touch, although clothing aggravates it too. Does this sound like what you feel?
    canadasnowsnake 1 Replies
    • October 23, 2006
    • 00:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Oh my god!!! This is exactly what I have two!!! What the heck is it? There is a gal that answered me and says she endes up having an insulin deal.I just wish I knew what it was. My doctor thinks I am crazy I feel.All I know is it is so painful to the touch at times I cannnot stand it!! At least we are not alone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 26, 2006
    • 00:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You're definitely not alone - you are describing my sypmtoms as well!I've only had this going on for the past year. Started with senstivity on my upper chest. Then a spot on my right arm became painful to the touch. I went to the doctor, who said his wife gets that all the time, and he prescribed Hydrocortisone Valerate. I used it, but don't think it ever really did much. Sensitivity went away on its own. For the past month, though, it has affected my upper back. It was mild, but now, it hurts for anything to touch it. Going to try the Hydrocortisone again, see if it does anything at all this time.My guess as to the cause - stress?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 31, 2006
    • 06:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I have been previously misdiagnosed as having a trapped nerve for pain in my lower back and leg. X-rays did not detect any problems and so I had a course of physiotherapy. I was also misdiagnosed a year later as having a stomach ulcer due to pain in the lower back and abdominal area. This resulted in being put on a course of medication that only stopped once a very unpleasant non-sedative endoscopy proved that I didn't have an ulcer. I currently have pain in my right armpit and down the triceps; a small area on my left inner thigh; over my kidney on the right and the stomach area. It feels like bad sunburn but without any kind of rash or marks and I also feel generally unwell. I am taking regular paracetamol to get by and am waiting for the pain to go, as it seems to disappear as mysteriously as it starts. The episodes generally last from a few weeks to a couple of months and are several months apart. I would love to know what this is and if anything can be done, but am reluctant to go to the GP again. If anyone has any answers please let me know. At least I know it is not in my mind, it is hard when you don't have any outwardly visible symptoms to show someone!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 3, 2006
    • 02:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You're most certainly not alone. I developed this bizarre burning "under the skin" sensation on my belly next to the navel. It is extremely painful - as clothing irritates it to no end, yet there is no rash, nothing. Pressing down does not hurt, so there is no actual stomach pain associated with it, it's literally just under the skin layer. My wife thinks I am going mad, and because we're in Greece doesn't know how to describe it to a doctor (who are typically blase as it is) if I cannot describe it myself. It has been like this for 8 days now, and it's highly worrying. I recently had an x-ray because I have a complicated digestive problem, but these are by no means related, I am sure of it. One is a stomach pain, the other is a skin, or just under the skin, issue.Someone said try not wearing jeans and a belt for a few days, so I will try this now and see if it helps - but I doubt it. I will report my findings back here. Things like this make me wanna scream, as they are so random that no-one can really help. A chemist said it could be herpes, but I fail to see how that can be anywhere related! I am using a cortisone cream called propiogenta, and an anti-bacterial called Bactroban, neither of which has helped a stitch so far.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2006
    • 07:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I'm not sure if this helps, but I have posted some stuff on another similar thread "Skin Sensitive to Touch" about this. In my case I think it is Fibromyalgia and it may be worth looking into. I am still researching about it to try to get as much info. as possible before possibly going back to a GP. Sites additional to those I found earlier are: http://www.immunesupport.com/ , http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/frames.html and http://www.ei-resource.org/ Hope this helps in some way.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2006
    • 10:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey, I just found this by a google search.I'm 50 and this has been slowly coming on for several weeks. Dr. doesn't know what to say. Has anyone found anything that can treat this symptom?Thanks,BarryPortland, Or
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 8, 2006
    • 03:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am so trying to find out why I have skin pain. I do not experience the pain all the time. I maybe have it 3 or 4 times a month. The skin is so sensitive to the touch and to clothing it is sometimes unbearable. It does not burn or itch nor does it discolor and I have no other noticable symptoms with it. The doctors look at me like I am out of my tree!!! Is there anyone else with this out there and may know what it is?I have had the same thing for several years. It occurs about every two or three months and is usually covers the area around my left upper thigh and lower abdomen. The painful area can travel around so that it's in a different area hours later. The skin hurts to touch and my clothes bother me. It rarely lasts more that two days.I started searching this forum because I'm experiencing a new pain in my left underarm. I did not make the connection until I saw this thread. I wonder if it has a similar cause.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 8, 2006
    • 11:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My email address is Iamalexus@aol.comPlease email me if you know anything else about this. I am going to go to the doctor tomorrow morning but I am absolutely freaking out.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 10, 2006
    • 07:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have experienced a strange feeling on the outer part of my left thigh. For years there was this area between my knee and hip, on the upper-outer area of my left thgh. It's about a foot long and 5 inches wide. I used to scratch this area and it felt like it just need more scratching. Recently it has started bothering me on it's own. It can act up if I cough or move a certain way. Most of the time it just feels "numbish-hurtish", but other times there's a sharp, almost unbearable "strike" of pain in the area that feels like a board full of red hot nails just slammed into my thigh. Luckily, so far, this kind of pain has only struck a few times and lasted a second or two. It is TOTALLY UNBEARABLE. Got any clues? Seems like if I stand for a long time that my thigh starts to get the numb-pain sensation
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 13, 2006
    • 10:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi, I have the same thing and was wondering what it was. I found some information on the internet and I think this might be what it is. COMPLEX REGIONAL PAIN SYNDROME (CRPS)Look it up and see if all of your symptoms fit. It sounds like what I have.Bev
    bzahara 1 Replies
    • December 18, 2006
    • 06:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i just recently went to the doctor and told him i was experiencing intense skin pain... like a sunburn. i showed him where and, because there is absolutely no rash\marks\discoloration, etc. he seemed unconvinced. He said something about stress and suggested hydrocortisone cream. has anyone had a more successful diagnosis\idea from a doctor??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2007
    • 03:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Could be Fibromyalgia or Lyme disease. Esp without a rash.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 22, 2007
    • 00:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • For me this pain was caused by a sensitivity to red dye used in clothing/towels, etc. I threw away all my red clothes and now the pain never comes anymore
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 24, 2007
    • 02:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like shingles. It starts for example in the foot or leg where even a drop of water is excruciating!! Then a few days later you may notice a pock mark on your abdomen. It may start on your face and the next day be gone. Shingles virus lives dormant in the spinal cord (all my info may not be discribed totally accurately from a medical point) and when it becomes active travels down your nervous system and comes out to the skin. It feels like your skin has been totally ripped off your body. At first sometimes you may get flu like symptoms. Or a pock mark. When this first started on me about 20 years ago the pock marks were only like a pin ****k and may be only one or two. Now I may get a dozen or so...Not everyone is the same so don't let anyone tell you differently keep checking. The HSV1 and HSV11 virus count in blood work can help to determine. There are so many strains and the chicken pox virus everyone has its that not everyone gets it charged up later in life. Stress is a stressor is activating the virus. Valtrax is suppose to help even tho it is prescribe strickly for herpes virus- its still HSV eg; Herpes Zoster virus. n Also I asked my doctor for a prescription to B12 shot so it would be cheaper for me. There has been a study finding b12 keeps your autoimmune system healther and shingles outbreaks less frequent.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 11:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have the same problem and the sore spot moves around--it's crazy
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 1, 2007
    • 03:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • pj5 hit it right on the head. Its caused by the herpes virus. You can have the virus and not have sypmtoms such as ulcers or sores but the sensitive skin is another reaction.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2007
    • 02:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Fibro and Lyme are connected. Get tested for Lyme,.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 4, 2007
    • 10:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • A warm, wet compress for about five minutes, followed by an application of Caladryl Clear to the skin, and a couple of Tylenol orally, allieviated the shingle-like pain on my thigh, (which I get periodically). I did this twice during the night and it made me comfortable enough to sleep through the night. The symptoms disappeared by morning. Most often, when I get this type of pain, it's at the onset of a virus or cold. On one occassion, I associated the pain on my leg with a spider bite I had gotten. The area, was about six inches in diameter surrounding the bite and it was very sensitive and painful. (Nothing was visible other than the tiny bite in the center, and I know for sure this was not a tick bite.) Once the pain on the leg subsided, I started with a terrible headache, aches in my joints, followed by vomiting and diahrea. All symptoms were gone within 3-4 days.Try the Caladryl - it helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 04:01 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement