Discussions By Condition: Urinary conditions

Constant UTI's

Posted In: Urinary conditions 139 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 11, 2006
  • 00:54 AM

Does any one have any info or can share a personal experience about constant UTI's? Every single time I have intercourse, I develop a UTI, even abstaining from sex, I still get them, at the very least one per month, they are so bad now that they usually spread to my kidneys afer a day or two and i'm on antibotics more then I'm off them but it is only a temporary fix until the next time. I constantly drink water and urniate at least 15-20 times a day. I drink cranberry juice and take cranberry supplements daily. Nothing seems to help. The doctors dont' seem to want to tell me anything but that I must be doing something wrong. This doesn't seem normal to me, up until the last two years I never had one before and was able to be sexually active without any problems. I would love to hear if anyone has experienced the same thing and what treatment or preventation you have used. Thanks!

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • I have the same problem, and so far I haven't figured it out. Sometimes I get kidney infections with no prior symptoms of any sort, and no bladder symptoms at all.Investigate a little. If you get an infection make a note of when and if you had sex/your period/ and what you did sexually that may have irritated the problem. Are you using different soaps? Bubble bath? Did you run out of toilet paper? We you using dirty towels/underwear?Figure these out first.I haven't found any patterns, except for possible period related infections, but it's not consitent-----------You should get a cystoscopy or sure, and an ultrasound or your kidney/urinary tract. Perhaps something will show up. It's important that you do these, and don't put them off. It's not good for your kidneys to let this continue
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Does any one have any info or can share a personal experience about constant UTI's? Every single time I have intercourse, I develop a UTI, even abstaining from sex, I still get them, at the very least one per month, they are so bad now that they usually spread to my kidneys afer a day or two and i'm on antibotics more then I'm off them but it is only a temporary fix until the next time. I constantly drink water and urniate at least 15-20 times a day. I drink cranberry juice and take cranberry supplements daily. Nothing seems to help. The doctors dont' seem to want to tell me anything but that I must be doing something wrong. This doesn't seem normal to me, up until the last two years I never had one before and was able to be sexually active without any problems. I would love to hear if anyone has experienced the same thing and what treatment or preventation you have used. Thanks!wow see my post i am having the same problem. this has been going on since january, my docs have said they guess i will always have these. i am in constant pain, have pain during intercourse, but i hardly urinate more than 3 times a day. i have tried the juice, the supplements, the weeks worth of antibiotics, and i have been seen 15 times since january for the same thing. i have no idea what to do to prevent them, i think my docs are nuts.
    stephrena 1 Replies
    • October 2, 2006
    • 05:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello Ladies. Just wanted to offer some suggestions from my personal afflictons with UTIs, some of them you've probably heard a million times, but I had to figure it out myself because my doctors were useless. If they had their way I would be on antibiotics for life. In my experience there are three general ways I can get one---chemical related, sex related, and bacteria related. Chemical Related: I have gotten severe UTIs from body wash. It was the only possible culprit. Don't use highly perfumed products like soaps, body washes, scented or colored toilet paper and scented tampons. I don't know about scented pads, but if you use them, maybe you should stop. I would never recommend douching, scented or not. Since some mild unscented soaps sometimes don't do the job quite as well as the harsher ones, use a wash cloth if you don't already. Sex-related: First of all, a UTI is also referred to "The Honeymooners Disease" just so you know. 'Bang-Bang' sex is a sure fire way to get one--every time. Also, if it's not 'Bang-Bang', I can still get one by a fully penetrated penis that pushes in deeper. It's almost like it touches something it shouldn't and I can tell the instant it happens. It is SO important to urinate after sex, and for some women, before sex too. I've gotten them like this a lot, and this is usually one of the first thing a doctor recommends--but mine didn't. I get up within 5 minutes and come back for pillow talk. Sometimes it can take awhile, but I will sit there forever if I have to (and keep him waiting) to prevent the horror that most certainly will follow. One doctor I had prescribed an antibiotic to be taken after sex (1 pill after sex), basically as a UTI preventative. This is not a good practice since you will develop resistance and it will not help you when you get a full blown UTI. If I get caught up somehow and have hard sex or someone touches the thing, I will take a pill. Antibiotics are another issue. I refuse to take Bactrim because it doesn't seem to fully rid the problem and gives me the kind of yeast infection where you can't leave your house. The only one I will take is Macrobid because it works best for me and doesn't give me a yeast infection. This is the same one I rarely take as the 'preventative'. It is expensive if you don't have insurance but It works for me and I will fight any doctor who would rather me have Bactrim. Bacteria-related: E-coli attaching to your urethra is the other source of the problem. I probably have had only a few UTIs directly from this category. Don't get me wrong---when you don't urinate after sex, it is the bacteria that ultimately causes the problem but sex is the initiator just to be clear. Anyway, never let a man play with your butt with his penis and then play with your clitoris or penetrate your vagina. Keeping regular sex and anal sex separate goes without saying. Since some of you get them from sex, I've probably covered the reason--hard sex, too deep sex, not peeing, or bacteria from sex. But since you get them without sex too, it has to be the perfumed products or bacteria (e-coli) related. I would practice front to back wiping if you don't already. Only wear cotton panties (I know has probably been drilled in your head) but it's true for me. My butt sweats if I don't wear cotton, so cotton it is. Never sit around in a wet bathing suit, panties, shorts or whatever---same principle as cotton underwear, wet mixing with wet. I think it's good that your drinking cranberry juice as long as it's from the health-food store. Anything like OceanSpray doesn't count because it's all sugar , which is definitely hurting more than helping. Since you've been on antibiotics on and of for so long, you need to get on some acidophilus to get good bacteria back into your female parts to maintain the health of them. The kicker is they won't help until your off antibiotics for a minute because it kills the good guys too. Get it from the refridgerator section of the health food store. Get a brand that has Bifidus in it too and one that states the active ingredients per capsule, something like 5 billlion acidophilus, 4.5 billion bifidus, etc...These are probiotics, which are good for you in other ways too. I think I've covered everything and if not I'll post again. I hope I've offered something you can use because I know the agony of chronis UTIs. These days, I get about one per year, down from every shower and every sexual encounter (for one reason or another). Good Luck and keep looking for solutions if I didn't help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 21, 2006
    • 00:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Does any one have any info or can share a personal experience about constant UTI's? Every single time I have intercourse, I develop a UTI, even abstaining from sex, I still get them, at the very least one per month, they are so bad now that they usually spread to my kidneys afer a day or two and i'm on antibotics more then I'm off them but it is only a temporary fix until the next time. I constantly drink water and urniate at least 15-20 times a day. I drink cranberry juice and take cranberry supplements daily. Nothing seems to help. The doctors dont' seem to want to tell me anything but that I must be doing something wrong. This doesn't seem normal to me, up until the last two years I never had one before and was able to be sexually active without any problems. I would love to hear if anyone has experienced the same thing and what treatment or preventation you have used. Thanks! Try looking into sexually transmitted diseases, yeast infections, kidney infections, etc. They are all related, accept the yeast infection. When a woman goes on antibiotics, you generally end up with a yeast infection from them. Try monistat or another cream at your local drugstore first. If that doesn't help, have your physician test you for kidney infection, bladder infection and UTI. Also go to your OBGYN for testing on the STD's. Good luck and I hope you're feeling better soon.
    DesireeS 4 Replies
    • October 24, 2006
    • 00:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • UTIs are complete agony! I've been ingesting antibiotics, pyridium, and gallons of cranberry juice for months now but nothing seems to rid me of this persistent infection. I just recently found out that my mother and grandmother used get a lot of UTIs when they were my age so it seems a narrow urethra runs in the family. The only advice I can give is to pee immediatly after intercourse and keep yourself as clean as possible. Wiping front to back and avoiding 'Bang Bang' sex are also good suggestions however I have yet to find a sure fire way to kill these nasty bacterium. Thus, any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated because, as anyone who as been through this knows, there's nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night with burning pain and realizing you have no more pyridium! So hang in there all and keep drinking those fluids... I feel your pain!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 27, 2006
    • 02:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • If you are using a jelly or cream during sex, make sure it's water based. The oil or petroleum based traps good/bad bacteria that grows into an infection. Do not douche. That's the worse thing you could do. Also, as the others suggest about the "bang bang" sex, urinating, and the colognes/perfumes. I suffered with UTI's and a yeast infection that lasted forever it seemed. I followed several suggestions for prevention which I finally narrowed to the massage oils and vaginal moisturizers.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 29, 2006
    • 01:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too suffer from these uti's if i dont have an infection i have constant pressure of the bladder , even though i dont have the burning affect i can do a wee and feel like i need to do a wee minutes later, i am not an avid drinker of fluid and was very interested to see some one said not the ocean spray cranberrythanks so much for that ,its the cheapest and now i know whyits full of sugar (so i read).I have had countless doctors appointments to do a pee in a jarand yep sure enough if its not a unrine infection its vaginitisor thrush. i no longer have regular periods either i am 45 years old we havetried me going on the pill and i dont even need to be on it my husbandhas had the chop so to speak. this has been going on for quite some time now almost two yearsand still i have no results, even visiting a naturopath now and nothing happening. I have promised myself to drink more water and see if that helpsbut i dont like my chances, anyway i hope we all find a wonderfulcure , greetings from australia where ever you all may be.:confused:
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2006
    • 10:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • "When a woman goes on antibiotics, you generally end up with a yeast infection from them."I have been on antibiotics twice now in the last 3 weeks because of my teeth. The first time when they pulled a couple, the second time when they did deep cleaning lower jaw and the third time will be end of this month when they do deep cleaning upper jaw. I'm 53 and that's more antibiotics than I have ever taken in my entire life and hope I don't develop a yeast infection. :)
    birdie 40 Replies
    • November 2, 2006
    • 10:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It is actually somewhat encouraging to see that other women have my exact same symptoms, I have been suffering since January 06 (since my c-section) I am positive the initial culprit was from the catheter that they put in. I have at least on a month since then and its usually after my period (any one else?) I am hopefully going to figure it out. Antibiotics are ugly, horrible and a short term fix for a long term problem I want to figure out the source. Just a side note, if you are on antibiotics be sure to go to Wild Oats or a natural store and speak with some one about getting your gut back in order...it is essential other wise you will be dealing with a much bigger beast, YEAST!!j4pc6h
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 5, 2006
    • 02:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm not too sure if you've found an answer yet, but I've had constant UTI's ever since I can remember, I'm 21 now and they seem to just keep getting worse and more frequent. I've seen multiple Urologist and they think they've finally found what I have. It's called Interstitial Cystitis, it's an inflamatory disease in the bladder lining. I still have to take another test to be sure, but no one has ever even given me a name or any diagnosis. From my understanding doctors don't know what causes it or why you get it, but it can "flare up" with certain food and drinks, even cranberry juice, because of the acidity in it. I would definitely do some research on it, because this is the only lead that I've found so far, and I makes me feel a little better that the doctor is actually doing more than just saying it's nothing or another UTI. Hope it helps!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2006
    • 06:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have interstitial cystitis (IC). It is very painful and I have been suffering with it for 10 years. I get my bladder stretched every 6 months to help relieve the pain and frequent urination. There is a difference though in IC and UTIs. UTIs test positive when strip tested...if it comes out negative and you swear you have a UTI it is your IC acting up. I too get frequent UTI's. Just about every time I have sex. I have tried everything. I live on antibiotics and then I get yeast infections. I live in pain 24/7 and the discouraging thing is absolutely nothing helps. I wipe right, I pee right, I have one sexual partner who has also been treated just in case he was passed something....and still no relief. If it isn't UTI..it is IC. Unfortunately I don't think there is a cure and it is something we just have to live with!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2006
    • 00:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• have you got your diabetic test done? Because if you have diabetes, you are prone to UTI'S and they lead to phynelonephritis (affect the kidney)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2006
    • 09:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I feel your pain. I also have several UTI's a year (4-5)...I know have a 16 year old daughter that has been having them every month for the past 5 months either during or right after her period, they have done ultra sounds, IVP and have said that there is nothing anatomically wrong and that some women are just prone to get them. Bactrim doesn't even touch her symptoms. So far Macrobid has been helping. I've given her the low down on wiping properly, drinking more water, less soda, stop wearing of thong underwear, and we started taking a daily cranberry pill. I hate the fact that she is just a teenager and she is starting this painful problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it gets better for her. Any advice would be helpful.Thank youbeachbound@cfl.rr.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 13, 2006
    • 01:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Does any one have any info or can share a personal experience about constant UTI's? Every single time I have intercourse, I develop a UTI, even abstaining from sex, I still get them, at the very least one per month, they are so bad now that they usually spread to my kidneys afer a day or two and i'm on antibotics more then I'm off them but it is only a temporary fix until the next time. I constantly drink water and urniate at least 15-20 times a day. I drink cranberry juice and take cranberry supplements daily. Nothing seems to help. The doctors dont' seem to want to tell me anything but that I must be doing something wrong. This doesn't seem normal to me, up until the last two years I never had one before and was able to be sexually active without any problems. I would love to hear if anyone has experienced the same thing and what treatment or preventation you have used. Thanks!HI, I am a male, I'm not a doctor but have a fair bit of knowledge as I have had some urinary problems myself and studied up on them for my own info.You dont make clear whether you are M or F but I believe you are female. Also you do not provide your age which would provide a starting point for any investigation. The fact that you did not get these infections until 2 years ago tells me something has changed in your body, this could be a simple as the fact you are 2 years older. If you are 25 that would not be significant but if you are 40 it could well be. Constant infections are an indicator of some form of bladder problem, most commonly a voiding one, IE; your bladder is not fully emptying each time you urinate. Unfortunately through time this creates a very easy environment for bacteria to form.Thus if your bladder is only half emptying each time, it is likely you would get frequent infections. What you need to do is get your GP to refer you to the hospital where they will test your urinary system, identify any infections and if necessary perform a procedure called a Cystoscopy which involves a small telescope being inserted inside your bladder to check everything. The procedure is simple and is normally carried out in day surgery, it does not require an overnight stay. It is important you get all this checked very soon as urinary problems can become dangerous if the kidneys become affected and infected. I wish you good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 26, 2006
    • 01:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • A commonly misdiagnosed condition which could derive from mostly prostatic enlargement, internal cystic sphincteric spasm, retroflow, and other lesser causes. Infection is inlikely in the male to become symptomatic in such a short time after intercourse and is likely casuing anxiety and antibiotic misuse for you and your partner. Your first step is to perform an urethrogram or voiding cystogram at your local GP/MD/Urologist. Hope that helps.South African MD.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 27, 2006
    • 01:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • you know i have taken antibiotics for UTI's for a couple years now as well as for other things. But now all the sudden I am experiencing the Yeast infections. In fact i cant seem to get rid of it. I never even got any kind of infections until after the first time i had sex. Then i was hit with a UTI and a vaginal infection at the same time. Ever since I swear a portal has been opened in my body for infections to just come right in and make themselves at home. I keep getting UTI's, yeast infections, Sinusitis.....will it ever end! The sad part is that you NEED antibiotics to get rid of this crap yet its the antibitoics that cause some of it too. I tell ya the more problems I have and the more i read posts like this really makes me wonder what women ever did to deserve all this. We have to put up so much crap! No wonder we are so strong!
    angelluvbug82 23 Replies
    • December 28, 2006
    • 08:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi there, after reading your problem i notice nobody has mentioned the possibility of kidney stones, i too have suffered recurrent UTI's and have now been diagnosed as having a large stone in my left kidney.(its proving to be a pain to get rid of!) This is caused by recurring infections in my case, so is worth you raising the possibility with your GP sooner rather than later.Hope this helps!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2007
    • 11:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had constant UTIs since I can remember, like 5. probably since birth! They suck! I used to sit in class and cry because the pain was so bad, but was too embarrased to goto the nurse. My doctors think I am crazy too! Its even in my medical charts, and they always ask dumb Qs like if I use condoms, or go pee after sex. and I just wanna yell "I've had these chronically since birth, what does sex have to do with it?" Being on Depo and not having a period has helped me. When I started getting my period I would have a UTI constant one after another it seemed, like one before my period, one during and one after kind of thing. So thats helped me a lot. But Also being on depo have a lot of negative side effects. but you work through it.
    LiquidScissors 5 Replies
    • January 11, 2007
    • 03:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Does any one have any info or can share a personal experience about constant UTI's? Every single time I have intercourse, I develop a UTI, even abstaining from sex, I still get them, at the very least one per month, they are so bad now that they usually spread to my kidneys afer a day or two and i'm on antibotics more then I'm off them but it is only a temporary fix until the next time. I constantly drink water and urniate at least 15-20 times a day. I drink cranberry juice and take cranberry supplements daily. Nothing seems to help. The doctors dont' seem to want to tell me anything but that I must be doing something wrong. This doesn't seem normal to me, up until the last two years I never had one before and was able to be sexually active without any problems. I would love to hear if anyone has experienced the same thing and what treatment or preventation you have used. Thanks!I started suffering from the same thing about 3 months ago. Terribly painful, as you, I get them everytime I have sex,(same partner), but will eventually get them regardless. Antibiotics then give me yeast infection. I feel like Im plagued for life. Speaking of which, new symptom should up today. Pus, lots of pus in urine.Yip Peeeee
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 21, 2007
    • 07:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • having suffered at various times with Uti's all of the suggestions above were good. One thing not mentioned, I learned from a elderly lady at a health club that no doctor has ever mentioned: that is to make sure you COMPLETELY EMPTY YOUR BLADDER when you pee. Sometimes, we are in ahurry, think we are finished but if you wait a bit longer and push, some extra comes out. when it isn't flushed completely, it lingers in urinal tract and forms bacteria which eventually can work it's way up causing uti's. Also, I was recently prescribed 10 days Leviquin antibiotic, which seems to have no side effects.. A nice change and i hope will work. Pee before and after sex and no butt mixed in. Also, lack of fluid intake, hence lack of pee flow seems to be a culprit... so now i am drinking DISTILLED WATER as much as possible. It's wonderful. To end the nightmare, I'm opting for a CANDIDA Cleanse next to rid the bad bacteria and start a probiotic. i have been drinking the Ocean Spray 100% juice which I think has no sucrose, just fruit juice. A regular diet of that has helped. Good luck to all. I'm now concerned about permanent Kidney damage as a result of these infections.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2007
    • 04:53 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement