Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Social Anxiety?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 12 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 10, 2007
  • 07:20 PM

I don't quite know if I have social anxiety or not, but every time my mom takes me to the mall or any other public place, I start to feel really sick and shake on the way there. While I walk through the place, I feel perfectly fine, until I see someone, who I don't know, looking at me. Then I start to really act odd, sweat, shake, turn red, and feel really scared for pretty much no reason it feels like. My parents say I'm pefectly fine, but I think there's something wrong if I do that.

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• Are your parents doctors/psychiatrists?
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • August 11, 2007
    • 09:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't quite know if I have social anxiety or not, but every time my mom takes me to the mall or any other public place, I start to feel really sick and shake on the way there. While I walk through the place, I feel perfectly fine, until I see someone, who I don't know, looking at me. Then I start to really act odd, sweat, shake, turn red, and feel really scared for pretty much no reason it feels like. My parents say I'm pefectly fine, but I think there's something wrong if I do that. Sounds like anixety to me. I have social aniexty. Even though I haven't been officially 'diagnosed' with it, I know thats what it is. I looked social anxiety up online & I fit the entire description! I don't think I'm *that* severe but I do not like crowded places. I cannot go to ball games (that has a big crowd) I went to a baseball game one time and I had to leave after 20 mins. Right after getting there I started getting shakey, sweaty & felt like I was going to pass out. The longer I stayed the worse I felt. I immediately felt better once I got to the parking lot & away from everyone. I also do not like to eat out in public, feels like everyone is staring at me. So when I do go out to eat, I go before the restaurants get crowded. Because it is really starting to take a toll on my life (and my kids & husband) I am seriously thinking about getting meds for it. One of the causes of Social Anxiety is having a sheltered life as a child. That is the reason why I think I have such a difficult time 'getting out'. I was sheltered as a child. Not on purpose but b/c of where I lived ("BFE") there was nowhere to go or do and my parents weren't exactly rich, so we didn't get to go many places & see new things very much. I was a teenager when I finally got to leave the 'familiar'. Another problem I have is talking on the phone to people I don't know. I'm finally at the point where I don't have to have my husband call & make my appts. for me. lol. :) I do believe social anxiety is what you have and definitely talk to your Dr. about it. For me it is getting worse and will be talking with my Dr. soon about trying some meds for it. Good luck!;)
    FireDiva 15 Replies
    • August 11, 2007
    • 05:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Are your parents doctors/psychiatrists?nope, they're not.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 11, 2007
    • 10:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like anixety to me. I have social aniexty. Even though I haven't been officially 'diagnosed' with it, I know thats what it is. I looked social anxiety up online & I fit the entire description! I don't think I'm *that* severe but I do not like crowded places. I cannot go to ball games (that has a big crowd) I went to a baseball game one time and I had to leave after 20 mins. Right after getting there I started getting shakey, sweaty & felt like I was going to pass out. The longer I stayed the worse I felt. I immediately felt better once I got to the parking lot & away from everyone. I also do not like to eat out in public, feels like everyone is staring at me. So when I do go out to eat, I go before the restaurants get crowded. Because it is really starting to take a toll on my life (and my kids & husband) I am seriously thinking about getting meds for it. One of the causes of Social Anxiety is having a sheltered life as a child. That is the reason why I think I have such a difficult time 'getting out'. I was sheltered as a child. Not on purpose but b/c of where I lived ("BFE") there was nowhere to go or do and my parents weren't exactly rich, so we didn't get to go many places & see new things very much. I was a teenager when I finally got to leave the 'familiar'. Another problem I have is talking on the phone to people I don't know. I'm finally at the point where I don't have to have my husband call & make my appts. for me. lol. :) I do believe social anxiety is what you have and definitely talk to your Dr. about it. For me it is getting worse and will be talking with my Dr. soon about trying some meds for it. Good luck!;) Yeah... I don't really know my doctor because the only doctor I went to was one when I was 4-7 years old, and that doctor is meant for little kids in that age group, and I haven't been to one in years. So I'd have to go to some doctor I don't know, which is a problem for me b/c of what I just explained. I'm still a teen, and it sounds my parents sound like yours, so I can't really go to places (not like I want to)... Thanks for answering!Also, I don't think my parents will take me to a doctor for anything to do with social anxiety b/c they don't really pay attention to the way I act around others. They have offered me therapy, just so that I can stop telling them that I don't want to go to public places b/c there are people there.Good luck to you also! :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 11, 2007
    • 11:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You are experiencing anxiety (acute anxiety), and if you go to your doctor about this he'll tell you this too. Although he may refer you to a psychiatrist in addition.Basically, you're paranoid. The next time you experience this feeling, think this: Is there any logical reason why people would stare at me at this precise moment? More than likely, there isn't. Everyone stares at everyone. Its usually a two-five second stare, and if it exceeds that then maybe you've got toilet roll attached to your shoe. Personally I cant ease my anxiety with this method as I look a little unusual and people stare at me constantly anyway.Logical analysis of the circumstances is the only way to get rid of the anxiety - the majority of which is caused by the bearer being preoccupied with trying not to embarrass themselves.How are you around your friends and family?
    The Melody of Rain 7 Replies
    • August 12, 2007
    • 00:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have SA as well as BPD and Clinical Depression. I am not a doctor; however, your symptoms seem extremely similar to some of the ones associated with SA. You may want to check out: http://www.socialanxietyfriends.com , it has been extremely, informative and helped me feel as though I am not as alone as I previously felt. The network of people has been wonderfully caring and supportive, because they too understand how hard it can be to cope with SA. Some people have never had to personally experience a mental disorder so they find it difficult to understand and acknowledge that your feelings, emotions, and physical episodes are valid; however they ARE valid if YOU feel they are. It is regretful to hear your parents are not more open to the possibility that you may have Social Anxiety; maybe educating them on what you learn (via the internet, books, forums etc.) will encourage them to be more supportive and permit you and your parents to openly discuss the possibility of seeking a doctor that may help you; if that is something you would be open to. Good Luck and Best Wishes.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 12, 2007
    • 01:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You are experiencing anxiety (acute anxiety), and if you go to your doctor about this he'll tell you this too. Although he may refer you to a psychiatrist in addition.Basically, you're paranoid. The next time you experience this feeling, think this: Is there any logical reason why people would stare at me at this precise moment? More than likely, there isn't. Everyone stares at everyone. Its usually a two-five second stare, and if it exceeds that then maybe you've got toilet roll attached to your shoe. Personally I cant ease my anxiety with this method as I look a little unusual and people stare at me constantly anyway.Logical analysis of the circumstances is the only way to get rid of the anxiety - the majority of which is caused by the bearer being preoccupied with trying not to embarrass themselves.How are you around your friends and family?I actually worry often anywhere I go about being embarrassed. I also don't like being around my relatives b/c I don't visit them much; they're like complete strangers to me. So every time I visit them, I just stay quiet and hidden.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 12, 2007
    • 09:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I actually worry often anywhere I go about being embarrassed. I also don't like being around my relatives b/c I don't visit them much; they're like complete strangers to me. So every time I visit them, I just stay quiet and hidden.I am & have always been a shy person. Never want to draw any attention to myself... even if it was/is good attention. When meeting new people they will often get the wrong impression of me at first (before they really get to know me) & think that I'm just a stuck up/too good to speak to them, kind of person. And that is certainly not the way I am, I'm just quiet so I don't end up embarrassing myself by saying something stupid. I absolutely hate being the shy person that I am & have tried to 'come out of my shell' but it's not easy. Thats another reason why I'm considering meds, I need more help to deal with the anxiety b/c I can't get over it on my own. Telling myself to relax & pretending I'm fine, isn't working. One of the main reasons why I haven't been to the Dr. about my anxiety & getting put on meds, is the fear I have of that. I'm afraid the meds will make me do something I normally wouldn't or cause health problems. I hear all those bad stories about some meds having bad side effects etc. :rolleyes:I hope your parents start listening to you soon & take you seriously. Maybe print up some information about Social anxiety & let them know you strongly believe you have it and would like to talk to a Dr. about it and see what he says. Maybe if they hear it from a Dr. that you have an anxiety issue, they'll be more supportive.;) The sooner the better to get the anxiety under control. I wish I would've done something years ago about it. Unfortunitely, I never even heard of social anxiety years ago.
    FireDiva 15 Replies
    • August 13, 2007
    • 01:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • How are/were you in shcool? What are your grades like? Do you sometimes fell like you want to juststart jumping around the room for no real reason, but affraid to?Other times do you feel down with no explination as to why? The reason I ask these questions is whenI was a teen I went through the exact same thing as you do and my parents also shrugged it off. Actually I went through that for many years. I am 29 now and was diagnosed with ADD about three years ago. The SA symptoms I was experiancing was actually one of the many symptoms of ADD. Now that I have been treated for three years my SA symptoms have just about vanished. Ocassionally I will want to crawl in to my shell in a public place, but not very often. Like I said I went through the same exact thing that you are going through, but now, out at a club, I'm out on the dance floor making a fool of myself like everyone else, and it does not bother me. So research ADD and take your parents up on the therapy. Therapy could be the start of your relief.
    RandyL72 1 Replies
    • August 14, 2007
    • 00:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It sounds like social anxiety disorder. I have it & have for a long time. I was off medication for about a year when it got really bad again. I'm on 50 mg of Zoloft a day, & it's helped a lot! Talk to your parents. What you're experiencing is not normal & no way to live. Ask them to take you to a doctor. Do not be ashamed, a lot of people have this disorder.There are some books I could recommend like: Triumph Over Shyness & The Confident Women by Joyce Meyer (I'm sorry, I don't know if you are male or female). Good luck & make a decision to try to get help, & refuse to let this take over your life!
    aquajay 6 Replies
    • August 18, 2007
    • 11:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It does sound anxiety related. It could be panic attacks you are experiencing as the "episodes" you describe while in the car you get certain symptoms then feel better only to start to have symptoms again once you have got to the mall. In general yes it would be social anxiety. You are lucky though because there are alot of treatment options out there for you and the sooner you seek help the sooner you will be better. There are medications that help some people and also therapy you can go to to counter these feelings. You are not alone and everyone at some point in their life experiences some type of anxiety issues. You are very smart that you realized early on as something was wrong.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2007
    • 02:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I would get your hormone levels tested. Hormones are directly related to how we feel. I have had social anxiety all my life, was on 10 different anti-depressants, but they all wore off. Recently I found an over the counter supplement called, "Estroven" which balances out your hormones. It took away ALL my depression and anxiety. It was a MIRACLE. You can buy it at most drugstores. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2007
    • 05:04 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement