Discussions By Condition: Fibromyalgia

FIBRO: Here's what helped and changed my life

Posted In: Fibromyalgia 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 26, 2007
  • 11:04 PM

I got diagnosed with Fibro in 2000.

What helped and changed my life was finding out that I never had Fibromyalgia! For over 30 years I've been suffering from undiagnosed hypothyroidism, specifically Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I got diagnosed in 2003 with it but was under treated and some symptoms of "Fibro" continued. Now after finding a good internist and an even better endocrinologist, I am finally being properly treated for the hypothyrodism.

My endocrinologist and internist both concur that I never had Fibromyalgia and host of other ailments I've been erroneously diagnosed with over the years.

Finding out that I suffered needlessly angered me.

Finally, I will have relief. My recovery will take 6 to 12 months to feel "normal" because I haven't been treated with the correct dose of medication for 4 years and I've had it for so long without being medicated.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• I got diagnosed with Fibro in 2000.What helped and changed my life was finding out that I never had Fibromyalgia! For over 30 years I've been suffering from undiagnosed hypothyroidism, specifically Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I got diagnosed in 2003 with it but was under treated and some symptoms of "Fibro" continued. Now after finding a good internist and an even better endocrinologist, I am finally being properly treated for the hypothyrodism.My endocrinologist and internist both concur that I never had Fibromyalgia and host of other ailments I've been erroneously diagnosed with over the years. Finding out that I suffered needlessly angered me.Finally, I will have relief. My recovery will take 6 to 12 months to feel "normal" because I haven't been treated with the correct dose of medication for 4 years and I've had it for so long without being medicated.How did they miss the thyroid issue? Were your results normal?
    sugarlady4444 1 Replies
    • January 2, 2008
    • 11:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The doctors never did the proper testing. They only used the Total T4 test to determine if I had thyroid disease. They needed to use the TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2008
    • 08:58 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement