Discussions By Condition: General well-being

acute headache - w/ facial nubness/tingling

Posted In: General well-being 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 11, 2006
  • 05:02 AM

:o Last SATURDAY WHILE AT WORK I EXPERIENCED ACUTE HEADPAIN ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY HEAD - THE PAIN DISAPPEARED AS QUICKLY AS IT CAME ON BUT WAS FOLLOWED BY NUMBNESS AND TINGLING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY FACE - A SENSATION THAT STAYED UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING . I WENT TO THE DR. , WHOM SCHEDULED A MRI / CAT SCAN TO BE DONE THAT DAY - THE TESTS I WAS TOLD CAME BACK WITH NORMAL RESULTS . THE DR TOLD ME THAT HER FINAL DIAGNOSES WAS THAT I HAD EXPERIENCED SOMETHING CALLED AN ATYIPICAL MIGRAIANE !! I AM NOT CONVINCED THAT IT WAS A MIGARIANE - AS THE HEAD PAIN WAS ACUTE AND LASTED ONLY A COUPLE MINUTES 2 - 3 MINUTES I WOULD SAY . AT THE SAME TIME I EXPERIENCED WEAKNESS IN MY LEFT ARM AS A RESULT OF THIS EPISODE , THE WEAKNESS DISIPATED BY THE NEXT DAY, AS DID THE NUMBNESS . MY QUESTION IS , COULD SOMETHING HAVE BEEN MISSED ON THE MRI / CAT SCAN ? ARE ANEUYSUM'S DIAGNOSED WITH MRI / CAT SCAN ? AND IF I HAD A : TIA : WOULD IT SHOW ANYTHING ON THE MRI / CAT SCAN ? THANK - YOU

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• let me know if you get any answers to this. i have experienced the same symptoms. and it was pretty scary feeling
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 23, 2006
    • 01:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • :p maryflo thanks for replying to my post , I will certainly inform you if find anymore info . on what it was that happened to me . Someone at work told me that if it was a T.I.A.. that there;s a possibilty that nothing would show - up on the MRI , or if did it could be months before it would appear . I am still leaning on my personal diagnosis of T.I.A. I was having a stress - free day ( despite being at work ) when this headache /numbness occured . I have since tried to make some lifestyle changes , just in case it was a T.I.A. The Dr's seem too distant anymore , if you call the office to inquire on your health situation , you are shunned , it's like the Dr's are just available to order the tests , but not to resolve the issue at hand . I have low blood pressure , don't suffer from heart problem's , have normal blood sugar , so a Stroke was that furthest from my mind until I had this little scare . What was your response when similiar symptoms struck you , did you see your Dr. . I was told recently that if I have the headache / numbness again that I need to stop what I'm doing and see the Dr. or E.R. right away so the can see it as it occurs , as my Mom told me that my face looked a little drooped , of course I don't anticipate it happening again . I look forward to hearing from you .
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 23, 2006
    • 04:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • To me it sounds more like a migraine. Yes, they can hit and go, hit and go like that.....I have them, I use to have the regular migraines with pain, then they stopped and got ocular migraines that just affected my vision some, past year the pain migraines came back on one side above my left eye only. Last week I had the hit and leave kind....migraines can do multiple things to you...even cause paralysis. I don't have the nausea with mine either just the pain. I am now on the medicine to prevent migraines so have them much less any more.Usually with a TIA you act just like a person that has had a stroke....unable to speak correctly, high blood pressure, weakness on one side (which also can be in the migraine). Good Luck, hope this helped some
    agypsygrl 79 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 02:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds to me like a T.I.A. These can be just isolated incidences or may be harbringer of something more severe. People can have these "T.I.A's" repeatedly before having a major stroke. Sometimes, all they ever have are the "mini strokes" or T.I.A's. My dad was in this situation a few years back where he had a T.I.A and my mom took him to the hospital. He sat 4 hours on a gurney IN THE HALLWAY and finally decided to just go back home. I came over that evening and saw him and about screamed!! His eye was drooping and watery and his face on his left side looked like he just had a shot of novacaine and his speech was slurred. My mom was in denial and thought he was "just real tired". I recognized the signs for what they were and immediately took him (to a different hospital). He was admitted and right away they said he was having a stroke. Problem was, once a full blown stroke begins, there's very little to do BUT WAIT TIL IT"S OVER AND ASSESS THE DAMAGE!!! That's what we did. Lucky for him, he bounced back almost 100% over 5 months with Healthsouth rehab, speech and other therapies and my massage background and walking him and workin on taut muscles:D he was back to work and feeling more like his old self. (Plus the fact that he never drank or smoked or weakened his system--helped!!). Although I dare say, he still seems to tire more easily since that happened. See, when he first went into the hospital, he had an "attack" at work (dizziness, visual disturbance, slurred speech) they called and took him to the hospital. If the nurses/Doctors there was slightly observant, they could have seen he was having a T.I.A and gave him baby aspirin and possibly that would have been the end of it. Nothing was done except let him SIT on a gurney for 4 HOURS IN THE HALLWAY. So he went back home and later that day INDEED DID HAVE A CEREBRAL VASCULAR ACCIDENT or STROKE. You may want to start a daily practice of baby aspirin (to help keep blood thin). Because T.I.A's MAY be precursors to STROKES. Now he is on Coumadin for rest of his life and has to watch what he does so to not have a reoccurance. Hope this helps. Good Luck and Health~
    1111healer 106 Replies
    • January 28, 2007
    • 10:39 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement