Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Severe Coughing Attacks- Any Diagnosis???

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: shopclk
  • July 24, 2007
  • 02:41 PM

Summary of my Mystery Coughing Illness….

I have been experiencing severe coughing attacks where I am choking, incontinent, and sometimes vomiting. I will have one every morning when I wake up and then more throughout the day. It seems like I have them when I change positions a lot – from sitting to standing or bending over or rolling over. I have triggered one from yawning! I also used to sleep on my stomach and can’t do that anymore because of this problem.

I can go for hours without a fit or one can occur within ten minutes. Sometimes it occurs from eating. I just had a new symptom – my neck and glands are swollen.

I am out of work right now because of this - its difficult to work when you are incontinent. If anyone has any insight I would really appreciate it!

Here is the timeline of what has been done with the medical establishment:

7/5(Thu) – Started out with an irritating dry cough (had been about a week by then) and went to see family doctor. Lung/chest clear. No congestion anywhere. Currently treating with OTC daytime and nighttime cold and cough medicine. He prescribed and anti biotic in case it developed into anything else since I was going on vacation.

7/7 Called doctor because woke up to a severe coughing attack – choking, incontinent.
Put me on a steroid dose pack and started the Zithromax. (BTW – didn’t go on vacation…)

7/11 Called doctor and made an appointment. No change. Although the steroids seemed to help, still having coughing attacks. Lungs/chest still clear, no congestion. Sent me to allergy and pulmonary doctors.

7/13 – Saw Allergy doctor – took me off Enalapril ACE inhibitor High blood pressure medicine) – can cause these coughing attacks. I did try to taper down and had a really bad night. The allergy doctor’s second guess is that it is a sinus infection.

7/17 – Saw Pulmonary doctor – tested me for whooping cough (negative) and scheduled a cat scan of the chest tomorrow.

7/20 – New symptoms of Neck swelling -

7/24 I just spoke with the allergy doctor and let him know that stopping the Enalapril didn’t help and now he is putting me on an antibiotic- to treat the sinus infection he suspects. told the allergy doctor about the neck swelling.- he has prescribed Levaquin - says this sopports his sinus infection theory.

I don’t think anyone knows what is really wrong. When I used to get sinus infections – I would have severe headaches and this doesn’t seem to be occurring.

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement