Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

Dysthymia & relationships

Posted In: Mental conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 22, 2007
  • 11:01 PM

I have been in a 4 month relationship with a man diagnosed with dysthymia. It was vey wonderful in the beginning, as most new relationships are and it seemed, to me at least, that we were settling into a long-term relationship.

I know he was getting depressed over the past few weeks and suddenly he just broke it off. I knew that it was the depression and I don't know what to do. He stated that it would happen eventually, that he just doesn't want to do it.

As you might guess, I am devastated, a complete mess. At this point I don't even know how to help myself nevermind him.

How do relationships survive dysthymia? Is there any hope we could survive this?

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• I'm still trying to figure this out. I almost feel as if I'm suppose to be just as unhappy to let my girlfriend know I understand. She broke the news to me about her condition and frankly I'm not sure how to react. I completely understand that she will never be happy or feel real joy or be completely in love with me, even if we had a wedding day. She loves me, but can never be IN love which describes joy and happiness. The simple joy of making her happy is taken away from me. I feel bad I cant.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • November 23, 2014
    • 11:54 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement