Discussions By Condition: Cardiovascular disease

Heart Attack - vs- Panic Attacks (CONSTANT ATTACKS)

Posted In: Cardiovascular disease 30 Replies
  • Posted By: muzikman3161
  • July 2, 2007
  • 06:57 PM

July 2, 2007

I am a 45 year old who suffers from panic and anxiety attacks for the last several years. But these attacks have gotten worse and worse over the last several months due to my personal situation (unemployed, adopting a baby, lawsuit, selling my house). To say I am under pressure is an understatement.

I had not had a full blown panic attack since March but 3 weeks ago (June 10) I had the worse chest pain I had had in the last 20 years. The pain went from my outside left rid all the way into the middle of my chest. I couldn't breathe for a few seconds and the pain was VERY sharp. It stopped after several seconds but my heart was pounding.

Since that date the pains have been coming more and more frequently and closer together. Where as before they would happen every few months, now they seem to happen every day. This morning I had another bad one. While food shopping I got a sharp pain in my left chest that went again to the middle of my chest. Again, trouble breathing and the pain last for a few minutes. It is now 3 1/2 hours since that happened and there is still discomfort and pain in those same areas

Last week I went to St Francis Heart Hospital in Nassau County, NY (one of the best heart hospitals in the area). They gave me a battery of tests, echo, EKG, a stress test before and after my echo test, blood tests, chest x-rays, etc. ALL tests came back negative. They told me that the only other thing they could do is an angiogram to test for any blockage but this is risky. For the record, this is my second ECK in 2 weeks. I also had some test to determine blood flow in my caryatid arteries and heart - again, all negative.

As I said, I am 45 years old, my blood pressure is about 110/85, and my cholesterol level is 112. I do not have any history of heart trouble in my family (my dad left us when I was 1 year old so I have no idea about his history although I know he is still alive). I do not smoke cigarettes but do smoke one cigar per day when the weather is good. Never did drugs and drink about one glass of red wine per day.

My fear is that there is something very wrong with me and the doctors are missing it, even though I went to four hospitals and they all told me the same thing. I know panic attacks happen at anytime for no apparent reason. What concerns me is that they are now happening almost every day, the pain is getting worse and the pain seems to stay with me more than just a few minutes. It seems to last for hours at a time (like today).

Any advice, suggestions, contacts, etc. that you can provide would be VERY appreciative.

Thanks,
Ben
muzikman3161@yahoo.com

Reply Flag this Discussion

30 Replies:

• Drink a cup of hot water with a teaspoon of cayenne pepper whenever you feel one coming on.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • About 10 month ago, I had a similar thing happen, where I was getting almost daily panic attacks that lasted for hours each time. i was 28 at the time... also very healthy, no risk factors, etc. I also went to the hospital several times and received the same kinds of tests as you did. All were negative. For me-- what worked was going on Lexapro for 6 months. 10 mg a day for 2 months, then 5 mg a day for 2 months, then 2.5 mg a day (half a 5mg pill) for 1 month. I have been off of it for 4 months and (knock on wood) have not had any panic attacks since. Also- had no withdrawl symptoms, no issues with lexapro, no weight gain, no sexual side effects, nothing. I just mention that since on this site there are many people that will tell you that they had bad effects of other anti-anxiety or anti-depressents. PS. I took Xanax for 1 week (before being put on lexapro) and that was horrible... literally was only taking half a pill each night and it would make me pass out for 10 hours... I could not function taking it, since I do not have time to sleep for 10 hours each day. In addition, I was foggy and half dazed even when awake. it is very, very strong (or at least it was for me). lexapro is an anti-depressent (that is used for anti-anxiety as well). I have never had depression, but this med worked better for me than Xanax which is an actual anti-anxiety.
    New MKE User 15 Replies Flag this Response
  • July 2, 2007 I am a 45 year old who suffers from panic and anxiety attacks for the last several years. But these attacks have gotten worse and worse over the last several months due to my personal situation (unemployed, adopting a baby, lawsuit, selling my house). To say I am under pressure is an understatement. I had not had a full blown panic attack since March but 3 weeks ago (June 10) I had the worse chest pain I had had in the last 20 years. The pain went from my outside left rid all the way into the middle of my chest. I couldn't breathe for a few seconds and the pain was VERY sharp. It stopped after several seconds but my heart was pounding. Since that date the pains have been coming more and more frequently and closer together. Where as before they would happen every few months, now they seem to happen every day. This morning I had another bad one. While food shopping I got a sharp pain in my left chest that went again to the middle of my chest. Again, trouble breathing and the pain last for a few minutes. It is now 3 1/2 hours since that happened and there is still discomfort and pain in those same areas Last week I went to St Francis Heart Hospital in Nassau County, NY (one of the best heart hospitals in the area). They gave me a battery of tests, echo, EKG, a stress test before and after my echo test, blood tests, chest x-rays, etc. ALL tests came back negative. They told me that the only other thing they could do is an angiogram to test for any blockage but this is risky. For the record, this is my second ECK in 2 weeks. I also had some test to determine blood flow in my caryatid arteries and heart - again, all negative. As I said, I am 45 years old, my blood pressure is about 110/85, and my cholesterol level is 112. I do not have any history of heart trouble in my family (my dad left us when I was 1 year old so I have no idea about his history although I know he is still alive). I do not smoke cigarettes but do smoke one cigar per day when the weather is good. Never did drugs and drink about one glass of red wine per day. My fear is that there is something very wrong with me and the doctors are missing it, even though I went to four hospitals and they all told me the same thing. I know panic attacks happen at anytime for no apparent reason. What concerns me is that they are now happening almost every day, the pain is getting worse and the pain seems to stay with me more than just a few minutes. It seems to last for hours at a time (like today).My suggestion is to find out what your family's history is. Then start digging in that direction.It may be anxiety, but it may be something else which the stress has brought on. I would especially look into autoimmune disorders because they're brought on by stressors.I have similar chest pain and had it for years. I was diagnosed with anxiety and panic attacks. That's been used as a "catch-all" when they can't find anything else wrong with you.What it turned out to be was hypothyroidism. My type is an autoimmune disease. Here I was suffering needlessly for 30 plus years. There is also hyperthyroidism and it can cause chest pain too. It's autoimmune too.Don't take a simple excuse if you feel this is something more serious. You know your body better than your doctors do.And when you do get diagnosed, don't rely on your doctors to know what's happening. They don't always get it. They almost killed me with under treatment and I'm not out of the woods yet.
  • Get treated with NAETRead a bit about the real diseases: Central Nervous System Dysfunctionhttp://www.healthy.net/scr/Article.asp?Id=982&xcntr=1
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies Flag this Response
  • July 2, 2007 I am a 45 year old who suffers from panic and anxiety attacks for the last several years. But these attacks have gotten worse and worse over the last several months due to my personal situation (unemployed, adopting a baby, lawsuit, selling my house). To say I am under pressure is an understatement. I had not had a full blown panic attack since March but 3 weeks ago (June 10) I had the worse chest pain I had had in the last 20 years. The pain went from my outside left rid all the way into the middle of my chest. I couldn't breathe for a few seconds and the pain was VERY sharp. It stopped after several seconds but my heart was pounding. Since that date the pains have been coming more and more frequently and closer together. Where as before they would happen every few months, now they seem to happen every day. This morning I had another bad one. While food shopping I got a sharp pain in my left chest that went again to the middle of my chest. Again, trouble breathing and the pain last for a few minutes. It is now 3 1/2 hours since that happened and there is still discomfort and pain in those same areas Last week I went to St Francis Heart Hospital in Nassau County, NY (one of the best heart hospitals in the area). They gave me a battery of tests, echo, EKG, a stress test before and after my echo test, blood tests, chest x-rays, etc. ALL tests came back negative. They told me that the only other thing they could do is an angiogram to test for any blockage but this is risky. For the record, this is my second ECK in 2 weeks. I also had some test to determine blood flow in my caryatid arteries and heart - again, all negative. As I said, I am 45 years old, my blood pressure is about 110/85, and my cholesterol level is 112. I do not have any history of heart trouble in my family (my dad left us when I was 1 year old so I have no idea about his history although I know he is still alive). I do not smoke cigarettes but do smoke one cigar per day when the weather is good. Never did drugs and drink about one glass of red wine per day. My fear is that there is something very wrong with me and the doctors are missing it, even though I went to four hospitals and they all told me the same thing. I know panic attacks happen at anytime for no apparent reason. What concerns me is that they are now happening almost every day, the pain is getting worse and the pain seems to stay with me more than just a few minutes. It seems to last for hours at a time (like today). Any advice, suggestions, contacts, etc. that you can provide would be VERY appreciative. Thanks,Benmuzikman3161@yahoo.comI also have suffered with panic disorder like you have. I can tell you the more you concentrate on dying and heart attacks the more you will suffer with panic and the symptoms that go with panic. You have had multiple tests done on your heart and they have come up negative. I would definately address the stress you are having in your life because that seems to be your trigger. I only say this because I did the same thing you did and it left my life paralized. I couldn't work, sleep, or enjoy anything. At my worst point in my life, I was so convinced the doctors were misdiagnosing my symptoms, I literally parked my car out in the emergency room parking lot so if I were to have a heart attack someone would find me. I finally looked at what I had become and what fear had reduced me to and I said this is enough. If I am going to die, my last days on earth will not be in a parking lot. I started to pray for help. I asked God to take my fears and hold them for me because I was losing my mind. At that moment when I finally trusted someone, the panic stopped. I went for seven years with no panic at all. I will tell you that panic will follow you the rest of your life but it is managable. Find out what your fears are and meet them face to face.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 15, 2007
    • 02:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • See about getting on anti-anxiety medication. If it doesn't help ask if you can rule out panic attacks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2007
    • 08:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Don't do this. This can cause tremendous heart burn is some people. Which in turn can make it much harder to determine if another illness is going on, and what is causing the original pain you took the cayenne for.It is best to not treat chest pain with a home remedy like this; at least until you get all the possible causes of chest pain ruled out.Read the pages on the website about self diagnosis and self treating. Unless you can see the patient yourself in person; it is best not to prescribe a home remedy to that person. Drink a cup of hot water with a teaspoon of cayenne pepper whenever you feel one coming on.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 08:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Please read this link (both of you):http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/diagnosis/self.htmHome remedies like Cayenne Pepper for severe chest pain ("worst ever" Kind of chest pain) that is getting worse over time are a bad idea. It is a safer thing to get checked out fully by doctors when you have severe chest pain, then to follow an idea like this that you are given over the internet.Such advice like taking CP for severe chest pain; like the link says above to do can lead to disasterous consequences. Even death. Don't follow the advice that other person gave you (below). You could end up sicker.Drink a cup of hot water with a teaspoon of cayenne pepper whenever you feel one coming on.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 08:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • heymy names dave and im olny 14 but have been having panic attacks for about 6 months maybe. they started off really bad but im doing much better, i havent had a panic attack until today, about 15 mins ago actually, before i used to worry about my symtoms so much. I still do but not so much, I still think theres something wrong with me. I have dissy spells were i cant focus, then i panic again. The thing that really annoys me is i love mountain biking so much, i ride most days. i feel out of breath sometimes but i no thats normal! Its just the problem is; i find it really hard to walk up stairs, i no that sounds strange but i walk up 2 flight of steps and my heart is pounding my legs are tingling and im out of breath (usally starting to panic beacause of my symtoms too) 20 seconds later i'll be feeling fine again. I just dont understand i i can ride all day without feeling anything like that but one flight of stairs leaves me puffing and panting! i was just wondering has anyone felt the same sorts of things?(sorry this is so long by the way)also sometimes i get a pressing feeling inmy chest it literally feels like someones poking a finger at my chest, ive never hear of anyone describe the symtom before at its the main reason i have panic attacks, if i have this feeling in my chest my body sort of jumps and i panic. the proding sort of feeling lasts between half a second to 20 seconds it feels like (this is probly more like 10 seconds but seems like forever). I get this symtom anywhere anytime, its usally when im worryied or anxious though, but it doesnt have to be. has any one experianced the same sorts of things as me, it would be nice to hear im not alone,Thanks alot
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 26, 2007
    • 06:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I think you should consider having the cardiac catheter done. I am forty and it was a breeze. It takes twenty minutes at the most. The actual time to look is more like five minutes. They have great new plugs for your femoral artery. I was up and around the next day. This will give you great peace of mind. Im doing a stress test next week on the treadmill have you done this?
    sagewy 13 Replies
    • October 28, 2007
    • 03:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Consider finding a good Oriental Medical practitioner to help with your symptoms. A good acupuncturist can tell if your syptoms are heart related, or more related to stress/liver function. Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine is very effective for both cardiovascular and anxiety disorders. When I mention this modality, it is always as an adjunct to Western medical treatment. I believe the two work very well together. Please look into it! Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • October 29, 2007
    • 03:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Does anyone get the left upper arm pain? This is how I know my panic attack is coming? The first time this happened I went straight to the hospital and they diagnosed me with everything but a heart attack. They said my heart muscle was fine, however I had possible blood pressure and my sugar was high (a symptom of Diabetes of'course) Since that time I have put both of these problems under control and they stay in the normal range whenever I get them checked. However, This arm pain will still come and I start thinkg---Heart Attack! There goes the panic attack all over again. I am still on 1/2 pill of Lopressor per day. I probably could shake the panic attacks if this left arm pain could go away. I noticed it only comes when I am stressed or busy! I know I am healthy.....what should I do?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 12, 2007
    • 07:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Does anyone get the left upper arm pain? This is how I know my panic attack is coming? The first time this happened I went straight to the hospital and they diagnosed me with everything but a heart attack. They said my heart muscle was fine, however I had possible blood pressure and my sugar was high (a symptom of Diabetes of'course) Since that time I have put both of these problems under control and they stay in the normal range whenever I get them checked. However, This arm pain will still come and I start thinkg---Heart Attack! There goes the panic attack all over again. I am still on 1/2 pill of Lopressor per day. I probably could shake the panic attacks if this left arm pain could go away. I noticed it only comes when I am stressed or busy! I know I am healthy.....what should I do?Visit a TCM professional- anxiety is Pancreas dysfunction- hence your blood sugar came out funny. You don't have to be diabetic- you could be on the edge, but you still have chances to reverse it.I had a rought episode of the arm pain and lack of dexterity in both hands and after going for TCM (Acupuncture and NAET) once...I started to feel better.My blood is now very normal and balanced. It took some research and discipline but I am young and happy again. I went from panic attacks to stress free - and I do have a very demanding and active lifestyle. I am hardy like a pansy :).
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies
    • December 13, 2007
    • 05:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Does anyone get the left upper arm pain? This is how I know my panic attack is coming? The first time this happened I went straight to the hospital and they diagnosed me with everything but a heart attack. They said my heart muscle was fine, however I had possible blood pressure and my sugar was high (a symptom of Diabetes of'course) Since that time I have put both of these problems under control and they stay in the normal range whenever I get them checked. However, This arm pain will still come and I start thinkg---Heart Attack! There goes the panic attack all over again. I am still on 1/2 pill of Lopressor per day. I probably could shake the panic attacks if this left arm pain could go away. I noticed it only comes when I am stressed or busy! I know I am healthy.....what should I do?I get the left arm pain as well. It goes right down from the left side of my chest down to my forearm and hand. It goes numb and feels very tight and I find a warm compress on it eases it. Try that along with deep breathing in a place you feel comfortable.I'm still suffering from severe panic attacks (that last up to 5/6 hours) and even the medication I'm temporarily on until I begin counselling (diazepam/valium) has made me paranoid! Whenever I feel a bit dizzy or my eyes feel like they're going to pop out of my head because of what feels like pressure in my brain I get paranoid but don't have a full blown attack due to the meds. It's a strange feeling because I know I "should" be having an attack but I'm not. I don't know if that makes sense.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 23, 2007
    • 02:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I get the left arm pain as well. It goes right down from the left side of my chest down to my forearm and hand. It goes numb and feels very tight and I find a warm compress on it eases it. Try that along with deep breathing in a place you feel comfortable.I'm still suffering from severe panic attacks (that last up to 5/6 hours) and even the medication I'm temporarily on until I begin counselling (diazepam/valium) has made me paranoid! Whenever I feel a bit dizzy or my eyes feel like they're going to pop out of my head because of what feels like pressure in my brain I get paranoid but don't have a full blown attack due to the meds. It's a strange feeling because I know I "should" be having an attack but I'm not. I don't know if that makes sense. It does make sense as the meds are just masking your condition. You sound like you have a lot going on, anxiety can be a signal that you are out of balance. Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine would really help you. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • December 24, 2007
    • 01:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • heymy names dave and im olny 14 but have been having panic attacks for about 6 months maybe. they started off really bad but im doing much better, i havent had a panic attack until today, about 15 mins ago actually, before i used to worry about my symtoms so much. I still do but not so much, I still think theres something wrong with me. I have dissy spells were i cant focus, then i panic again. The thing that really annoys me is i love mountain biking so much, i ride most days. i feel out of breath sometimes but i no thats normal! Its just the problem is; i find it really hard to walk up stairs, i no that sounds strange but i walk up 2 flight of steps and my heart is pounding my legs are tingling and im out of breath (usally starting to panic beacause of my symtoms too) 20 seconds later i'll be feeling fine again. I just dont understand i i can ride all day without feeling anything like that but one flight of stairs leaves me puffing and panting! i was just wondering has anyone felt the same sorts of things?(sorry this is so long by the way)also sometimes i get a pressing feeling inmy chest it literally feels like someones poking a finger at my chest, ive never hear of anyone describe the symtom before at its the main reason i have panic attacks, if i have this feeling in my chest my body sort of jumps and i panic. the proding sort of feeling lasts between half a second to 20 seconds it feels like (this is probly more like 10 seconds but seems like forever). I get this symtom anywhere anytime, its usally when im worryied or anxious though, but it doesnt have to be. has any one experianced the same sorts of things as me, it would be nice to hear im not alone,Thanks alotHiyyahh omg yeah iv been having panic attacks for about 5 month now it really gets to me but the thing you have to do is relax and when you said you feel out of breath of to flights o stairs so do i its probly just because you panic every time i get them i think my heart is going to stop or some thing because i usally get upper body and chest pain and alot of heartburn.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2008
    • 00:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • All right, you solicited the advice - here it is from a physician - free.If you are worried about the risks of cardiac cathetrization, obtain a 64 slice CT angiogram of your coronary arteries. Many radiologists and cardiologists contend that the negative predictive value for detecting CAD with 64 slice CT is as good as that with a traditional angiogram. If your CT is abnormal, then have the angiogram done by an interventional cardiologist who can stent a lesion if identified. If your CT is normal, then see a board certified psychiatrist for further evaluation...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 19, 2008
    • 11:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have suffered with panic disorder like you have. I can tell you the more you concentrate on dying and heart attacks the more you will suffer with panic and the symptoms that go with panic. You have had multiple tests done on your heart and they have come up negative. I would definately address the stress you are having in your life because that seems to be your trigger. I only say this because I did the same thing you did and it left my life paralized. I couldn't work, sleep, or enjoy anything. At my worst point in my life, I was so convinced the doctors were misdiagnosing my symptoms, I literally parked my car out in the emergency room parking lot so if I were to have a heart attack someone would find me. I finally looked at what I had become and what fear had reduced me to and I said this is enough. If I am going to die, my last days on earth will not be in a parking lot. I started to pray for help. I asked God to take my fears and hold them for me because I was losing my mind. At that moment when I finally trusted someone, the panic stopped. I went for seven years with no panic at all. I will tell you that panic will follow you the rest of your life but it is managable. Find out what your fears are and meet them face to face.This is EXACTLY right. I have suffered for the past 2 years. I started paxil a little over a year and a half ago and stopped taking it because of the sexual side effects and weight gain.. and the withdrawl was unberable ...So I've been about 4 months with out it .. once the withdrawl was other the attacks came back. Mostly because I could feel if i was feeling "weird" (dizzy, fuzzy? just like something was wrong) and this would always bring on the panic feeling/attack. I also have experienced a chest pain when I am nervous, I thought it could be my heart. I was really stressed out (me and husband were arguing)... but I found that a release of all this built up tension has ALWAYS made my panic feeling disapear. I'll just go sit down alone somewhere and cry it out. Afterwards the pain is gone, the panic is gone, and I just feel like the calm after the storm. Works for me. I dont want to take the drugs. It sounds a little crazy maybe? Crying it out. But it has always worked for me. Even before I started taking the paxil and xanax. I think it has to do with releasing that tension that you've build up over hours/days. Hope this helps someone.
  • An update for your information: I was correct I was not having "panic attacks"The Doctors were correct; I was not having a heart attack Diagnosis: Multiple Scelorios-experiencing "MS Hug" As a graduate psychology student I was not ashamed to be diagnosed with panic attacks. However, I knew the extreme pain I was experiencing was not simply a panic attack. I finally demanded a Lumbar puncture with a MS panel which came back supportive of MS, mulitple bands. I have had the other conditions ruled out. My body decided to cooperate and my pale optic nerve showed up during this latest "attack". There are many things I have learned which give chest pains and feel like a heart attack. Learning that it was a sign of MS was a new one for me!!!! I have had my gallbladder removed, my hiatal hernia looked at, treated fro esophagul (sp?) spasms, you name it,,,,,,, I had the test!! However, many Doctors are not aware of the MS hug. I began to suspect this by keeping at my research online. Good luck to you all and hang in there!
    sagewy 13 Replies Flag this Response
  • An update for your information: I was correct I was not having "panic attacks"The Doctors were correct; I was not having a heart attack Diagnosis: Multiple Scelorios-experiencing "MS Hug" As a graduate psychology student I was not ashamed to be diagnosed with panic attacks. However, I knew the extreme pain I was experiencing was not simply a panic attack. I finally demanded a Lumbar puncture with a MS panel which came back supportive of MS, mulitple bands. I have had the other conditions ruled out. My body decided to cooperate and my pale optic nerve showed up during this latest "attack". There are many things I have learned which give chest pains and feel like a heart attack. Learning that it was a sign of MS was a new one for me!!!! I have had my gallbladder removed, my hiatal hernia looked at, treated fro esophagul (sp?) spasms, you name it,,,,,,, I had the test!! However, many Doctors are not aware of the MS hug. I began to suspect this by keeping at my research online. Good luck to you all and hang in there! That is interesting, thank you for sharing your story. Have you considered trying acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine to help control your MS symptoms? When I was a graduating senior at my TCM graduate program, we had a patient who had severe MS, with muscle atrophy such that his upper thigh was about the size of a normal man's arm and he used a walker to walk. He was going to our student clinic twice a week, and after a month I barely recognized him - he was no longer in a walker, and had gained a lot of muscle mass. Acupuncture and dietary changes really made a difference (he was on an all juice diet with no red meat and lots of supplements) for this man. Just thought I'd mention it - something to consider. To find a qualified acupuncturist please visit www.nccaom.org or www.acufinder.com. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement