Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Spontaneous Panic Disorder?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 9 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 17, 2007
  • 03:36 AM

I went to the doctor... two months ago or so, with wheezing, and just all around weirdness. Mostly just freaked out because I'm a smoker.. so the whole wheezing and feeling out of it was sort of a concern. The wheezing was cleared up with discongestants, but the weird feeling didn't clear up at all. I then quit smoking, and up until now it's been around two months since my last ciggerette. Now it seems I get heavy feeling / tingling limbs, (glove / stocking pattern), the periods of being.. out of it, confused, and all that have increased in length and duration. Now it seems like there might be some loss of coordination. I also seem to get palpitations that continue as I do.. nothing at all. Chest pain, and slight shortness of breath also occur. I've been to the ER about this once, just because I thought maybe I was on my way to a heart attack, but chest X-ray, and EKG came out normal. I followed up with my physician who looked at me for about.. two seconds, then sent me out the door with Xanax and Atenolol, (both apparently for anxiety). I've been to another physician and he said he didn't necessarily agree, but just kind of said.. come back in a month.

Sorry for the long description, but I didn't want to leave anything out that might shed some light on anything. If it is panic disorder, then I'm fine with it. I'm just skeptical because.. being 22 you'd think this would have arisen sooner, and not just with a slew of symptoms. I'm not under stress, or becoming really terrified, unless of course.. lots of these symptoms show up at once, but.. at that point who wouldn't be? Any thoughts, or ideas as to what I can do, what I could look into, or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• I am 21 and just began having panic attacks also. Though I am not on any medication for it. I refused medication. I have developed insomnia as a part of my anxiety. Anyway, panic attacks generally do feel like a heart attack. I thought I was dying the first time I had one. If they aren't troubling you anymore and you are on the anxiety medication then I would say the medication is working, don't you think? Well I wish you good luck and hope that you don't have anymore attacks if that is what they are.
    darkgift 19 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am 21 and just began having panic attacks also. Though I am not on any medication for it. I refused medication. I have developed insomnia as a part of my anxiety. Anyway, panic attacks generally do feel like a heart attack. I thought I was dying the first time I had one. If they aren't troubling you anymore and you are on the anxiety medication then I would say the medication is working, don't you think? Well I wish you good luck and hope that you don't have anymore attacks if that is what they are.Well the problem is that I'm still on Xanax, and it's still happening. The thing that bothers me however, is that I'm not really stressed about anything in particular or anything. Is it common for these to happen multiple times a day, or sometimes most of the day with no apparant cause?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • You need to see if you can relate these episodes to eating/ drinking. It just might be a sugar imbalance.
  • good luck to you if it is panic disorder(panic attacks) ive struggled for years with these and eventually developed agoraphobia along with it. i have done as much research as possible and never found a text book solution to help with the disorder. it took me years before i ever even got a diagnosis - i was put through unnecesary testing before finally being diagnosed. at that time the disorder really was unheard of and treatments really did not exist. there are alot more options out there now. first realize that a "panic attack" is the bodies flight/fright response kicking on but there is no apparent reason for it to happen. you are not in a life/death situation and the bodies survival mode is kicking on. the xanax never worked for me and i actually found the most benefits from anti-depressant drugs that are also used for panic attacks/social anxiety (paxil, effexor, etc) side effects can be a problem with those but you will have to see if it can help you - it will not eliminate your symptoms though. i went through extensive counciling(cognitive behavior therapy) that really helped me get these under control. i truley believe had i countered my behavior and avoidance earlier my attacks would have not gotton so out of control. i still get attacks but i can control them now - i no longer think im dying or having a heart attack - i know it will pass and i understand what is happening.you may not have this - research the bodies flight/fright response and look into it. you will learn what happens when this kicks on and it can explain your symptoms. another thought im an ex-smoker myself and developed bronchial asthma from it. everytime id go to the dr.s (symptoms of shortness of breath,tightness, lips would feel numb) they would see history of panic attacks and blow me off - here i had bronchial asthma.
  • Your symptoms sound similar to iron deficiency or magnesium deficiency. Iron levels are easy to check through blood tests but not magnesium. The tests for magnesium are not accurate and can show you as having a normal magnesium level but you could still be low. Try magnesium for a month and see if it helps.
  • Well if it is still going on then I suggest you go back to your doctor and ask to be weaned off the medication. You should discuss with him any concerns you have and talk about natural therapies. I personally use vitamin B supplements along with potent omega 3 fish oils and green tea everyday. I also follow a rigorous exercise program. I lift heavy for one hour 4 days a week. I run for 30 minutes and do yoga and swim for another 40 minutes the remaining 3 days. This routine works for me and a friend of mine who also suffered from severe anxiety. Omega 3 fatty acids promote serotonin production as well as increases the efficiency of other nuerotransmitters. It is so effective that in some bipolar patients a high dose of this can relieve mania and depression. Not only this but you can't overdose on this. Vitamin B supplements increase serotonin levels as well which are known to alleviate stress, lead to better cognitive function, and is the nuerotransmitter directly effect by most anti-depressents. For example SSRI's (Serotonin re-uptake inhibitors). Exercise increases GABA (a neurotransmitter that regulates all other neurotransmitters) and Endorphines (the body's natural anti-pain and anti-inflamitory agent (which is more potent than any pain medication). Exercise also helps all other bodily functions as long as you don't over do it, which is hard to do as long as you eat correctly. If you decide to try this keep me posted on how you feel please.
  • 22 is not an unusual age for panic disorder to show up, in fact its quite common at that age
  • I'll have to check into the deficiencies. Just curious, would a multi-vitamin not take care of that? I've heard that their effectiveness is a bit sketchy but I've always at least assumed it would keep you from getting a deficiency in most areas.As far as the exercise, and diet I've been trying that route without any success BUT, it's only been a few days so I'm definitely not counting it out yet. I've also been trying to regulate my sugar some, and lately it does seem like increasing my sugar level quickly when this happens it goes away faster, but it might just be a fluke. Either way I'll keep you posted on anything else that arises, but that's where I'm at up until now. Thanks for all your suggestions so far!
  • i am 17 and i have had spantaneous panic disorder for 2 years. I have a tight feeling in my chest when i have an attack...however the thought of an attack is always on my mind which brings them on more frequently which is why the tightness and generally strange feeling is there for most of the day. i also get short cold bursts through my body. an actual attack for me includes these however i lose sensation in my arms jaw and feey...my eyes start to shake and i sometimes pass out.i dont know if this is similar to yours but if it is then i hope you know that you are not the only one suffering from this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 22, 2008
    • 11:31 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement