Discussions By Condition: Back conditions

sciatica nightmare

Posted In: Back conditions 60 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 31, 2006
  • 06:22 AM

I have been dealing with sciatica for 3 years. It never goes away. I am in pain every hour of every day.I take 5 percocets and 3 valium and lyrica everyday. Every month my DR gives me a new pill to try, but it never works.Some days i feel like i'm loosing my mind. I'm lucky if I get 3 or 4 hours of sleep a day. I have tried everything from injections to pt to traction and botox ,triger point injections , deep tissue massage, rizotomy, caudle epidurals, you name it i've had it. I use an electric stimulater every 8 hours. I've had 5 emg's and 3 mri's and my Dr keeps telling me there is nothing she can do for me! I have been denied ssi 4 times. there are days when I can't even get out of bed. I have fallen down my steps several times. If anyone has any sugestions PLEASE let me know if there is any thing else I can try. I'll try anything if it would give me some ability to function normally. I have a 4 year old that I can't even take to the park and have fun with him.. I am only 30 years old and I can't imagine what this is going to be like when I get older.

Reply Flag this Discussion

60 Replies:

• I know your pain. I have only had it since nov. 2005. I have the pain everyday too.I have gone to a chiro too, but she is no help.My job does not help, I am a housekeeper, that makes about 24 beds aday. When I get home from work, I can only found one relief. I lay on my couch, on my stomach, it takes the pressure off. So sorry for your pain helppainhelp
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 9, 2006
    • 11:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Anyone would like to email me about their sciatica pains, email me at DelawareDi@aol.com In the subject, put SCIATICA
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 13, 2006
    • 10:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Dear Catwoman.... I know how you feel. I have had sciatica since I was very young. Sometimes my leg just gives way beneath me. The pain is awful. It also seems to get worse with damp weather.There were times when I had it everyday, I had every scan and xray known to mankind and the doctors could find nothing.I used to belong to a dance school from an early age and I am guessing that this may have contributed to it.I found a brilliant product at the Ideal Home Show in London last year. It's called the BackLife and it's an exercise machine that gives you the treatment in 12 minute doses. You basically lie on the floor with your legs on the machine and it gently exercises your lower back. It has certainly helped me and apparently they use them for chronic back pain treatment in a lot of hospitals now because they are so good.The price is around £240 (free p&p tho) but if you suffer as badly as you say you do I think it's a small price to pay. Mine has improved dramatically since I started using this machine.I wasn't a member of this forum until I saw your plea and I had to join just so I could tell you about this.The url is: http://www.backlife.com/ Best of all... they deliver very quickly!Hope this helps,Tori
    tori276 1 Replies
    • September 25, 2006
    • 09:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • ToriThank you ... I will give it a try. to me you can not put a price on feeling some what human again. I am so glad you joined the forum to tell me about this product. Most people wouldn't have bothered.Thanks again.. I'll post later to let you know how it workedCatwoman:)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 28, 2006
    • 10:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • laminectomy was very good for me,forty years ago!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 1, 2007
    • 05:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had sciatica type pain since 1999. My pain is deep in the right buttock and goes all the way down my leg. I am now experiencing very sharp pains on the right side of the right knee. At this time I am seeing a neurosurgeon in Nashville, TN who is suppose to be excellent. I have had an MRI, Myleogram and Thursday (01/04/07) I will have the last test which is the EMG. After this I will see my doctor and he will give me the news about what he thinks we should do. I have tried everything too to relieve the pain and over the past 3 or 4 months it has become unbearable. Someone is GOING to do something.... I was also diagnosed with a "Tarlov Cyst" in the S2 level of my spine. Anyone out there have that little sucker. My neurosurgeon said they are nothing, but I am just wondering why there is a Tarlov Cyst support group out on the internet. They don't seem like they are nothing. Well, I would appreciate any suggestions. I also have a doctor that was trying to get my insurance to pay for a SCS but that is when I found the tarlov cyst and decided to go to a neurosurgeon and let him check everything out before we start putting anything electrical in my body. Thank you. nanjo
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 2, 2007
    • 04:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It was a horrible bout of sciatica that brought me to be an acupuncturist...years ago I had an acute sciatica episode. Doctors couldn't help me and a friend suggested acupuncture. I tried it and two treatments later I was completely pain free!!!!! Acupuncture can get deep into the sciatic nerve and release the pressure and pain. I have worked with many patients now and even chronic conditions show improvement. I urge anyone with sciatic pain to try acupuncture and find a qualified practitioner (not a Western MD). To find one near you go to www.acufinder.com and type in your zip code. Please be patient and give it at least 6 treatments - for chronic conditions it will take longer to see relief...it doesn't help everyone, but most people I've treated have shown amazing improvements.Hope this helps!Doctor of Oriental Medicine
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 2, 2007
    • 05:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Im a Massage Therapist for many years and currently studying to be an Acupuncture Physician. Part of our training is to do a clinic shift every week (for 3 more years) and we get patients there that have sciatica and leg/lumbar issues and THEY GET RELIEF FROM THE ACUPUNCTURE TREAMENTS!!! It is so inspiring to see how much the treatments help them and they look forward to their appointments with us. You don't hear that in Western Medicine too often!!:D Many times they have tried EVERYTHING ELSE and FINALLY came to us. One of our clients was a professional athlete and got injured and long story short-chronic sciatica and leg and hip pain. After years of searching and much PAIN THERAPY that had very little effect- she came to discover acupuncture and THAT WORKED FOR HER. Do yourself a favor and at least check into it. It would probably NOT disappoint you and the only thing you have to lose is YOUR PAIN. HEALTH AND WHOLENESS ARE YOUR NATURAL STATE!! Return to it!Best wishes~Namaste'
    1111healer 106 Replies
    • January 2, 2007
    • 08:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had sciatica type pain since 1999. My pain is deep in the right buttock and goes all the way down my leg. I am now experiencing very sharp pains on the right side of the right knee. At this time I am seeing a neurosurgeon in Nashville, TN who is suppose to be excellent. I have had an MRI, Myleogram and Thursday (01/04/07) I will have the last test which is the EMG. After this I will see my doctor and he will give me the news about what he thinks we should do. I have tried everything too to relieve the pain and over the past 3 or 4 months it has become unbearable. Someone is GOING to do something.... I was also diagnosed with a "Tarlov Cyst" in the S2 level of my spine. Anyone out there have that little sucker. My neurosurgeon said they are nothing, but I am just wondering why there is a Tarlov Cyst support group out on the internet. They don't seem like they are nothing. Well, I would appreciate any suggestions. I also have a doctor that was trying to get my insurance to pay for a SCS but that is when I found the tarlov cyst and decided to go to a neurosurgeon and let him check everything out before we start putting anything electrical in my body. Thank you. nanjo Nanjo, I can tell you from all my extensive research that Tarlov Cysts can and do cause pain. I found an excellent Web site and support group: http://www.tarlovcyst.net/introduction.htm There are some great doctors at Johns Hopkins and Georgetown who specialize in those suffering from Tarlov Cysts. I have tons of Tarlov Cysts and they are causing my leg/foot numbness and tingling and my bladder problems. I am in the process of seeing doctors. The neurologist I went to see was not a help at all, so I am seeking out another one. My orthopedic surgeon is the one who has been the most help so far. The problem is finding a doctor who is knowledgeable on Tarlov Cysts (or willing to do some research) and who is willing to recognize that they can be symtomatic. Read and surf the site above. Also Google Tarlov Cysts. There is quite a bit of information out there. You may email me if you like: jayemteach@aol.com Best wishes and let me know how you are doing. Janet
    Janet S 10 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 02:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been dealing with sciatica for 3 years. It never goes away. I am in pain every hour of every day.I take 5 percocets and 3 valium and lyrica everyday. Every month my DR gives me a new pill to try, but it never works.Some days i feel like i'm loosing my mind. I'm lucky if I get 3 or 4 hours of sleep a day. I have tried everything from injections to pt to traction and botox ,triger point injections , deep tissue massage, rizotomy, caudle epidurals, you name it i've had it. I use an electric stimulater every 8 hours. I've had 5 emg's and 3 mri's and my Dr keeps telling me there is nothing she can do for me! I have been denied ssi 4 times. there are days when I can't even get out of bed. I have fallen down my steps several times. If anyone has any sugestions PLEASE let me know if there is any thing else I can try. I'll try anything if it would give me some ability to function normally. I have a 4 year old that I can't even take to the park and have fun with him.. I am only 30 years old and I can't imagine what this is going to be like when I get older. Have you tried accupunchure?
    bettyadrien 5 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 03:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello,I read what everyone is posting about their pain. I Haven't been to my doctor yet, but i'm going next weds.About a week ago, I started having terrible leg pain in my right leg at night when I go to bed. Actually, it starts in my lower back, deep in the right buttocks, and all the way down my right leg. It is hard to describe, but it's kind of like a burning, intense aching that moves up and down my leg when i am trying to sleep. It feels like my leg is in a vise and is being squeezed real tight.I heard of sciatic nerve some time ago, but at that time, it happened only once in a while. Now it happens every night. I have to take 2 or 3 pain pills, darvocets to be able to get through the night. I have never felt a pain like this before.I read where this has something to do with a nerve being pinched and a herniated dic.Does this sound like the pain that you all are feeling?I too am a housekeeper, I work in a hospital and am always making beds or lifting soiled linen in big bags. I have done this job for almost 10 years, and I'm 59 years old.I read in this foram about the accupunture. I would be will to try it if it takes away the pain. Would my insurance cover something like that.?Thanks for letting me vent, and if anyone has any other ideas about pain relief, let me know. My email is linda3038@aol.com if anyone wants to write me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Sounds like you have a sciatica nerve problem for sure.My husband has it for a number of years, and he has never been better because he has seen a ciropractor last year, he is all finished his treatments, but keeps seeing him onces a month.his sciatica acts up onces in awile when he does a certain chore, but nothing like before.
    bettyadrien 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • In my opinion acupuncture is a much more effective treatment than chiropractic or other manual therapies. It really is able to reach deep in the sciatic nerve, under all that mass of gluteus muscle. Please try this form of treatment if you have sciatica or any other low back pain. I have helped countless patients with this - it works:) Concerning health insurance: many more insurance companies are covering acupuncture. Please check with your provider and see if they cover this. If not, you can still try to petition them to help you for say 4-6 treatments. If you have an enlightened doctor who could give you a written referral for acupuncture treatments, then that may really help your cause. I charge a very reasonable rate for my acupuncture treatments, but I know in some areas it is prohibitively expensive. Still, you might be able to find a practitioner who offers a sliding scale or a reduced rate for limited income. Please look into this and talk to a practitioner if you have a limited income. Please visit www.acufinder.com to find qualified practitioners all over the world. This is simply the best treatment for sciatica! Best wishes.DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you everyone for responding. I thought it was the sciatica, but wasn't quite sure until some of you replied. Now I know it is. How do they look at that to see the damage? Do they do an MRI?I would be willing to try about anything to help the pain. I have heard some poeple warn again using a chiropractor. because they can cause more damage to your spineI would defenitly try accupunture. I looked on that website to see if any are in my area, and there are a couple of them. Have any of you had surgery for it? I wonder how many wine coolers I would have to drink, not to feel the pain...lol:D sorry, just trying to be funny
    Lindy59 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Please do not listen to anything Shula or Acuann tell you. My sister just passed away because Shula and Acuann told her that her doctor was wrong and she did not have a serious condition. Acuann even told her to get acupuncture to get healed. These people are going to be investigated for practicing medicine without a license. Shula and Acuann are specifically wanted in connection with my sisters homocide. Thats right homocide. If she would have listened to her doctor instead of these internet quacks she would still be here today. Rest assured I will do everything in my power to put these two behind bars and shut this website down for good.
  • I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I'm sorry for your loss. Maybe my coming to this site was a mistake, I was just trying to get information.I'm going to go to my own doctor to sww what she wants me to do.I wouldn't put my life in the hands of anyone here. Thank you for the warning though, I do appriciate it.My prayers are with you. Lindy
  • :eek:Hi, all.I seem to suddenly find myself with a textbook case of sciatica brought on by, most likely, a herniated disc, caused by a simple and seemingly insignificant rotation whilst turning around - and I literally heard my lower back go 'crunch' and it floored me right there. It has been about six days now and from what I have read there is not much to look forward to. I cannot describe the pain the first night - there are no words - except that I came to understand how a person could easily prefer amputation or suicide. Only one other pain was this bad - an intense migraine brought on by a viral infection to the head - so intense that I would black out, halucinate and literally 'saw stars', but although I thought at the time that death was on the cards, it wasn't and the pain lasted only a little over a day. With sciatica, however, it just goes on and on and on and no amount of pills quells it to any reasonable degree - a person can go insane very quickly - so my deepest sympathies to all of you out there who are suffering any form of chronic pain - unfortunately sympathy offers no real help so I will do all that seems left to do - pray for us all. The only non-prescription medication that so far has had any even slight success has been Voltaren (diclofenac potassium), and thanks go to my neighbour who suggested it.
    bentasaurus 1 Replies
    • October 21, 2007
    • 06:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • in answer to your sciatica nerve problem. I am 67 years old and had the problem for 10 years, before i was told to go and seea chiropractor, i am so sorry i didn't go a long time ago.sciatica nerve problem is a very painful, but i don't have to tell you that.I started to see the chiro twicw a week for two weeks in the beginning, then it was onces a week for a couple of months, now i just go for a check up onces a month. my sciatica problem has better to a 95%. and that is a miracle to me. the onlt time it acts up a little is when i do some hard physical work. Chiropractor is the best and only solution.Get a good one. hope this helps you. let me know.
    bettyadrien 5 Replies
    • October 22, 2007
    • 02:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been living with sciatic pain for almost 4 years now and the pain is so bad that I can't sit down or stand up for more than 30 minutes without been in severe pain and discomfort and this is with pain medication. I take Norco 4 times a day for pain. I am attending college in Oregon and I am unable to get my work done. When I am laying down in bed I have to be on some pain medication other wise I get an upset stomach and feel terrible from the pain. I don't know what to do anymore. I just had my second laminectomy/diskectomy with no success and the pain is so bad that I am no longer able to get my homework done let alone have a part time job to pay for my living expenses. I used to be able to sit down for a couple of hours after taking a couple of tramadol or vicadin but the pain medication hardly does anything anymore. And I can't even feel the medication if I am sitting up for longer than 30 minutes. The pain becomes overwhelming and makes me feel very sick. I am only 22 years old and I have been through so much pain. I feel for everyone who has suffered from sciatic or back pain. I wish the best for everyone and if I ever get some relief from the pain I will dedicate my life to treating people with chronic pain and do lots of research. For me, having a doctor who can empathize with me during this arduous time in my life is indispensable. I want to provide that kind of quality care to everyone. Take care and best of luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 29, 2008
    • 03:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been living with sciatic pain for almost 4 years now and the pain is so bad that I can't sit down or stand up for more than 30 minutes without been in severe pain and discomfort and this is with pain medication. I take Norco 4 times a day for pain. I am attending college in Oregon and I am unable to get my work done. When I am laying down in bed I have to be on some pain medication other wise I get an upset stomach and feel terrible from the pain. I don't know what to do anymore. I just had my second laminectomy/diskectomy with no success and the pain is so bad that I am no longer able to get my homework done let alone have a part time job to pay for my living expenses. I used to be able to sit down for a couple of hours after taking a couple of tramadol or vicadin but the pain medication hardly does anything anymore. And I can't even feel the medication if I am sitting up for longer than 30 minutes. The pain becomes overwhelming and makes me feel very sick. I am only 22 years old and I have been through so much pain. I feel for everyone who has suffered from sciatic or back pain. I wish the best for everyone and if I ever get some relief from the pain I will dedicate my life to treating people with chronic pain and do lots of research. For me, having a doctor who can empathize with me during this arduous time in my life is indispensable. I want to provide that kind of quality care to everyone. Take care and best of luck! Do you live in Eugene or Portland or Corvallis OR? If you live in Portland there is an EXCELLENT acupuncture school there and you can get very affordable treatments in their clinic. Again, acupuncture works for sciatica. It is what lead me to become a Doctor of Oriental Medicine. I had severe acute sciatica over 13 years ago, and had only TWO acupuncture treatments and my pain was 100% GONE...Please try this...try to find a practitioner who offers a sliding scale fee. This would be money well spent IMO. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement