Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Unpredictable acute leg pain, background pain.

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 14 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 27, 2007
  • 06:15 PM

The good thing out of this is that I have a full recollection of the events prior to having this "condition."

I have otherwise been the picture of health and have no known allergies or persistant illness. I am a male, 27 years old.

Feb 2007, I dropped eating factory processed meat from my diet stemming from a personal disgust at low industry standards.

March 2007, I haven't ate any meat for a month. I awake one morning with a small area of my bright buttock numb/sore. No exterior damage is visible and it is only a numb sensation that I feel. I think nothing of it and carry on as it was not inconviniencing me in any way.

A few days later the numbness starts spreading to my entire right buttock. I start growing concerned but still take no action. 2-3 more days after that the the numbness is replaced with a small acute pain only if I physically exert myself on that leg.

As each day passes it gets only worse, my entire leg at different times of day has such a acute pain that I have a hard time walking in "regular" form, getting out of a car seat, wiping my **s (not a joke), and sleeping sideways. If I roll in bed I get an intense pain and I actually cannot do anything but yell in pain. I tried working out using an elliptical machine (cardio machine, a low impact "running" exercise machine") this only seemed to aggravate the pain to become a constant pain instead of a unpredictable intermittent pain.

I am still currently in pain, the pain has no spread beyond its established area. I have also found that the pain is there EVERY night. I changed sleeping habits and the pain always comes on during the evening hours regardless of whether I am sleeping our not. The pain is not as acute during the day time but can be brought on immediately if I exert myself.

I had a fever during this condition and took pain killers for the fever, a side effect was that it COMPLETELY relieved the leg pain. I was able to sleep on my side, roll around, get up and down from seats, and yes even wipe my **s with absolutely NO discomfort at all. However, my personal views towards medicine is that I prefer not to take any at all because I do not want my body to become dependant on them and to also lower the effectiveness of treatment by medicine.

What is your advice that I can possibly look over. I am open to suggestions as I do not want to remember 2007 as being the year which I was completely crippled.

Reply Flag this Discussion

14 Replies:

• Could be many things. Gout can be that painful. Try this for a month, see what happens? Totally avoid all bread (including pizza etc), red meat, and chicken. Tinned tuna you can have. Diary and eggs are okay and good for B12 - if you are not allergic to them. Avoid alcohol as it contains yeast. Take plenty cooked veggies, cabbage and butternut. Get an homeopathic remedy for gout at a health shop, we have one here called "Gichtin" that works well. Certain calcium supplements also help for cramps, best one in ZA is called "Calsuba".First thing every morning you should probably take a urinary alkalinizer. We get a good one over here called Citro-Soda, containing sodium bicarbonate, tartaric acid, citric acid and sodium citrate. It's safe over the long term. Only beware, taking more than indicated can make one feel awful. Never eat hot spices, especially curry. Drink more fluids - not carbonated, and no Ceylon tea or coffee.Maybe see www.westonaprice.org/askdoctor/ - look for GOUT there, it explains about uric acid and helping the kidneys with vitamin A etc. And this famous doctor says we should drink quite a lot of water and also salt: www.phenomenews.com/nov2005/0a.htm - try to get Trocomare salt by Dr A. Vogel of Switzerland, in the place of "smooth flowing" salt.Take Vitamin-B12 (complex), Omega-3 (salmon oil or flax seed oil) and of Vitamin-C 1000 mg (slow release). The best Omega-3 is kept in a fridge in the health shop, not in caps. See www.cancertutor.com/Cancer/Budwig.html for details. A traditional Chinese doctor is another great idea, see www.acufinder.com to locate one.
    Curly Stooge 319 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the response, I am curious though what If I have no pain in my toes, and there is nothing visible indicating any type of condition.I also drink zero alcohol if that helps. Let me know if I should still pursue the GOUT path.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • With my family the Gout decides where it will be - thumb, toe, one upper leg only etc. They don't drink alcohol either. In your but there is a muscle and a joint, so it's Gout or Arthritis, both having usually the same causes and treatments. Gout can be so severe that people can't tolerate a bed sheet on the area. There are also nerves, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatica - but neither Gout nor Sciatica explains the fever, hence the water cure and supplements, in case it is viral or bacterial. Some forms of Rickettsia (tick fever) can become Reactive Arthritis, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_arthritis - so it seems one needs careful blood tests, for that whole range of tick bacteria. I don't know about Lyme disease, sorry.
  • Thanks for another response Curly. I may have been unclear on the fever. It was just an isolated incident and I got over it in two days. The pain in my right buttock continued though. The thing about the fever was that the pain killers I took also had the effect of taking away any pain I had in my right buttock as well.Another thing I should mention is that when I laugh or cough I receive a sharp pain in my right buttock as well. If that helps you more with my post that would be great. Thanks again for responding.
  • Sounds like gout in the muscle. Following the above procedure for some days will help for all inflammation. Only way is to try and see.
  • Sounds alot like sciatica to me. The sciatic nerve runs deep in the buttock area, often causing excruciating "nervy" pain. This pain sometimes radiates down the back or side of a leg, often reaching the outer ankle area. Sciatica is helped tremendously by acupuncture - this was what first brought me to become an acupuncturist. I had severe sciatic pain and had a friend recommend acupuncture to me. My pain was a 9/10, and I had no relief from any meds, so I decided to try it. Well, after just two treatments the pain was GONE! Please look into this - it can really help! Visit www.acufinder.com to find a practitioner near you. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Sounds like sciatica to me also. Try laying on a hard surface, bend both knees and press the soles of your feet together comfortably. (A small pillow on either side is ok). Called the frog-leg position. Wiggle around until you feel like your pelvis is flat against the floor. Stay as long as you can. Do as often as you can. Look up some other exercises.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • Sciatica nerve impingement, will cause also, "foot drag/drop", and burning sensations in your leg(s), a Dr of Chiropractic Medicine can and willl alleviate these symptoms quickly in 2-3 painless adjustments on the disc that is affected. worked for me and others.
  • Ok guys, here is a follow up, I am 99% sure it is Sciatica, more specifically piriformis syndrome. Anyhow, I went to the acupuncture and chiropractor. I feel better after each visit, but my pain still was present despite being at a lower level. I then started stretching 2-3 times a day for 10 minutes. This actually appears to have the greatest affect as I feel better EVERY day and when I didn't go to a chiro or acupuncture for a week and did nothing but stretching I am almost over this condition or at least have it in a completely tolerable condition at least.I will update again when I have a full recovery.
  • Great to hear you are feeling better. Please go easy with the stretches, and don't strain yourself as this can make things worse. Sounds like you are on the right track!DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Did you try the frog-leg maneuver? I read about it in "Prevention" along with some other exercises for sciatica. Instant relief for me.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I am very relieved you saw a chiropractor. From your description I was thinking possibly sciatic pain, but I didn't have enough information, and I was worried you might mean something else. But I think you have the diagnosis right since you are getting relief. I had nerve pain in the front of my leg, and it was no fun, but I have relief now also. Keep up those stretching exercises. They are very important to keep our musculoskeletal systems properly balanced.
  • Could be many things. Gout can be that painful. Try this for a month, see what happens? Totally avoid all bread (including pizza etc), red meat, and chicken. Tinned tuna you can have. Diary and eggs are okay and good for B12 - if you are not allergic to them. Avoid alcohol as it contains yeast. Take plenty cooked veggies, cabbage and butternut. Get an homeopathic remedy for gout at a health shop, we have one here called "Gichtin" that works well. Certain calcium supplements also help for cramps, best one in ZA is called "Calsuba".First thing every morning you should probably take a urinary alkalinizer. We get a good one over here called Citro-Soda, containing sodium bicarbonate, tartaric acid, citric acid and sodium citrate. It's safe over the long term. Only beware, taking more than indicated can make one feel awful. Never eat hot spices, especially curry. Drink more fluids - not carbonated, and no Ceylon tea or coffee.Maybe see www.westonaprice.org/askdoctor/ - look for GOUT there, it explains about uric acid and helping the kidneys with vitamin A etc. And this famous doctor says we should drink quite a lot of water and also salt: www.phenomenews.com/nov2005/0a.htm - try to get Trocomare salt by Dr A. Vogel of Switzerland, in the place of "smooth flowing" salt.Take Vitamin-B12 (complex), Omega-3 (salmon oil or flax seed oil) and of Vitamin-C 1000 mg (slow release). The best Omega-3 is kept in a fridge in the health shop, not in caps. See www.cancertutor.com/Cancer/Budwig.html for details. A traditional Chinese doctor is another great idea, see www.acufinder.com to locate one.Ceylon tea good for healthy lifestyle. I start day with ceylon tea
    dimuth 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I really dont understand how giving up meat. could lead to these symptoms.Your problem is more likely caused by a back injuryThanks for another response Curly. I may have been unclear on the fever. It was just an isolated incident and I got over it in two days. The pain in my right buttock continued though. The thing about the fever was that the pain killers I took also had the effect of taking away any pain I had in my right buttock as well.Another thing I should mention is that when I laugh or cough I receive a sharp pain in my right buttock as well. If that helps you more with my post that would be great. Thanks again for responding.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement