Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

Agoriphobia/Panic Attacks/Anxiety for 37 yrs! PLEASE RESPOND!!

Posted In: Mental conditions 17 Replies
  • Posted By: MagnoliaAngel
  • May 26, 2007
  • 03:33 PM

I have had Agoriphobia for 37 yrs. of my 51 yrs of my life. If any of you out there have this disorder can you please reply & tell me what If any medication or any kind of thearpy has helped you even a tiny bit, Im so sick of being stuck In my world that consist of my home & yard. It's seem to have gotten a lot worse the last couple of yrs & Im at the end of my rope. I have read sooo many self-help books & most probally tried just about every med....seems like, but Nothing or no one can seem to give me any answer's In this small town I live In. The Dr's here are all old school & just want to think Im making all of this up!LOL!! I wish...It's like im living In my own private ***l 24/7 & Im not able to be the grandma I would Love to be. I cry a lot & my self esteem Is gone!! I use to be care free & nothing bothered me, untill this hit me out of the blue...BAMM!!! I was raped at age 8 yrs old, & the boy had about 6 BIG butcher knives & said he was going to kill me if I didn't take off all my clothes, more knives I still have a Fear of knives to this DAY!! I was raised In an Alcoholic home with constant Fear of my mom killing me in my sleep. I saved me & my 2 younger sister's from her killing us all with a knife...I had to put both my sisters out the tiny B Room window as she was screaming Im going to kill all of ya'll. I finally got them to safety & got my self out last...then I grabed them by thier tiny hand's & ran down the st. crying to a neighbor's house, I still remember the point of the knife coming through the bath room door & how scared I was. My mom passed away In 2003, she was an alcoholic & lived In her own private ***l, now her spirt Is finally at peace & at rest, she was one of 14 kid's. My aunt Margie passed away 4 months after my mom & she was more like a Mom to me & we could always Laugh together...I think about her every day & miss her sooo bad. I also lost my Daddy 2...Barney he was also more of a Daddy to me than my real Daddy was. He passed away last June. I also had a very close friend die totally unexpected...we were best friend's for about 15 yrs...but I had pulled away from her because she was also an alcoholic..& I had quit drinking. I hate Alcohol. Im going to start back to group thearpy In acouple of week's at our local Mental health...I need to be around people again & make my self go. I have kept my self isolated because I also have bad social anxiety & don't like being around anyone I don't know! I hate Agoriphobia & all of the crazy symptoms that come along with it..It's like Im In a constant battle to just stay alive!! 24/7 ***l is what I call it. If ANY of you out there have this & have found anything that has helped you..PLEASE let me know, I am sick of being sick & having to make excuses for Not perticipating In LIFE....but my fear's are all Very REAL & VERY SCAREY!! I wouldn't wish this crap on anyone but the Devil!! Thank's for taking the time to read my post...Please reply...I need a friend to chat with who understands the ***l I live Every DAY! Thank's & God Bless!

Reply Flag this Discussion

17 Replies:

• I know you feel as if you aren't living your life, I too feel this way. I am only 20 but I know what social anxiety is like. I know how devastating it is. People don't realise what it is like to not be able to do simple things like going to the shops. I just wanted to say that you are not alone and you such an amazing person with what you have been through. You seem like you are a strong person and you will be able to beat this anxiety. Please go and talk to someone, however scary it may seem. I have been seeing a psychologist for over 4 years now and the first time I went I was red in the face from blushing, my body was blotchy from the anxiety, I was shaking, sweating and panicking and I could barely speak. But if you can find the right person to help you, it gets better this I can promise you. Please you have been through too much to go through anymore alone. You deserve to get help and to live the life you want. Every word you wrote in your post held so much meaning to me, it was as if you were reading my thoughts. The battle to stay alive is always so hard especially when you are alone. Thank you so much for your post because it has made me realise how much I want to help people who are going through what we are going through. I never had anyone who could relate to me, I was always told I was just 'too shy' and that it was a phase I would grow out of. But you are right, it is ***l, one I nearly killed myself over. I really admire your courage and strength so far and I know you will be able to live again. Kylie.
    Nymphete 21 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi Magnolia Angel,Firstly sorry to hear that you have had such a touch time.:(But Boy is there help out there. If you go to your GP he can fill in a medicare form and organise 12 visits to a psychologist for free or near free! they can really help. I'm a counsellor myself, as well as someone who suffers from anxiety, and I and they can help!Therapies like CBT, NLP can help they will know all about them.Reading books on the subject can help too.It can be fixed!Cheers,CRaig:)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I too suffer(ed) from panic attacks. I believe that suppressed feelings/memories in your subconcionce bring them out. I was able to free myself of these attacks by finding a research study through my local psychiatric hospital. The therapy was called cognitive behavioral therapy it had a program along with i that I learned to "desensitize" myself to the dreadful attacks. I also had been raped as a child and was referred to another therapist who helped me deal with that - im not sure what type of therapy that was but it was just as difficult making me relive the event then tape record it and listen to it over and over - somehow that helped me process what had happened and I was able to better cope with the situation. I still occasionally get attacks but when I do I learned how to work through them and let them wash over me and get on with what im doing. Ive been on zoloft, paxil, prozac, and now effexor er. i find for me the side effects of the effexor are less troublesome.
  • I know exactly what you are going through! I am only 30 and started having panic attacks when i was 18 after i had my daughter.I think I always had anxiety but didn't know what it was till I had had my first panic attack when I was 18 and I thought I was dying. So over the years it has got worse and now for the past 3 to 4 years I may have been out of my house 5 or6 times.I have 2 girls 6 and 11yrs and they want me to go places with them but I allways have to tell them no. It is so heart breaking. If I am home alone I have to make sure one of my neighbors are home or I will have a panic attack because I dont want to be totally alone.I fear ,fear.anyways just wanted to share a little of my life.The only med that will stop a panic attack in about 15 min is klonipin,an anti anxiety medwrite me back
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 22, 2007
    • 05:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too suffered for years with Panic and depressiion.I finally found a Dr. who prescribed Klonopin. I have not had a problem with Panic since. I know people are against taking these types of medications because they are addictive. But, I have been on a small dose for the last twenty years. I have never wanted or needed more.I also saw a psycologist who helped me very much.I take Cymbalta for depression and Klonopin and these drugs have saved my life.I lost two close friends to suicide. It was unbearable. Think what you will do to the people you leave behind. There is help out there. It is a difficult first step, but it is out there.I will pray for you. But, go talk to your Dr.... Please.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 23, 2007
    • 02:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi Magnolia Angel,Firstly sorry to hear that you have had such a touch time.:(But Boy is there help out there. If you go to your GP he can fill in a medicare form and organise 12 visits to a psychologist for free or near free! they can really help. I'm a counsellor myself, as well as someone who suffers from anxiety, and I and they can help!Therapies like CBT, NLP can help they will know all about them.Reading books on the subject can help too.It can be fixed!Cheers,CRaig:)This is great advice. I suffered from Panic disorder, general anxiety disorder and depression for years and was treated with various meds and therapies before finding a real solution with CBT. If you are self motivated you can do it through books and save a lot of money too. If not you can join a group which is what I did. We used a couple of books in my group but the one we started with called Been there, done that? Do This! by Sam Obitz, who suffered from various anxiety disorders himself, was both encouraging and easy to absorb. The thought countering exercise called a TEA form in that book helped me eliminate my panic attacks and general turn my whole life around. If you want lasting relief CBT is the way to go.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 28, 2008
    • 10:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • We used the book by Sam Obitz in my CBT group and it is really encouraging. The Tea forms work great if you work on them regularly and it seems to be lasting relief thus far (3-years in and counting).
  • im only 17 and ive had aniexty attacks wen i leave my mom i can go everywhere with my mom but wen shes not there n i go by myself i get aniexty attacks n i no how u guys feel cuz wen i leave my house i get them its weriid i hate it it feels like im going to faint or die or stop breathing and my heart races. i got aniexty attacks wen i moved away from my home town and i have no friends out here and i get aniexty in small places to but my house and where ever my mom is and the doctor wont give my pils for it i cant control it its takin my life over i use to be independent and go out with my friends and do everything and i always wanted to have fun without my mom and ever since i moved i dont like going on buses i dont wanna leave my hosue bcuz i get aniexty attacks err i hate it
    kimkewlie 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • hi magnolia angle my heart goes out to you i know what your going through i had panic attacks for years and are still getting them Ive always been a shy person.Im a married mum with 6 kids and dont go out much becouse of it But now Im trying to get help for it Ive just started seeing a therapist But am frieghtend togo. I feel i wont Be able to get over my shyness and panic Attacks my husband gives me support when needed.I was bullied at school really bad so its hard for me to make freinds or even talk to anyone because i panic so badly. Tina.
  • Have you tried Zoloft?
    SailorinAZ 10 Replies Flag this Response
  • This is great advice. I suffered from Panic disorder, general anxiety disorder and depression for years and was treated with various meds and therapies before finding a real solution with CBT. If you are self motivated you can do it through books and save a lot of money too. If not you can join a group which is what I did. We used a couple of books in my group but the one we started with called Been there, done that? Do This! by Sam Obitz, who suffered from various anxiety disorders himself, was both encouraging and easy to absorb. The thought countering exercise called a TEA form in that book helped me eliminate my panic attacks and general turn my whole life around. If you want lasting relief CBT is the way to go. I would tend to agree with this poster. The book by Obitz is really good and super-simple and the tea forms are very helpful but if you stop practicing them too soon the anxiety will start to come back. I will say they started helping me a lot quicker on the second go round with them and now I do them a few times a week to keep on top of my anxieties.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• dont know if we are allowed to give out email addresses but my sister suffered for years hers is helen_yamba@hotmail.comshe may be able to help if you have net on
    angelene 13 Replies Flag this Response
  • I would tend to agree with this poster. The book by Obitz is really good and super-simple and the tea forms are very helpful but if you stop practicing them too soon the anxiety will start to come back. I will say they started helping me a lot quicker on the second go round with them and now I do them a few times a week to keep on top of my anxieties.Count me as a proponent of the TEA form exercise in the book by Sam Obitz. I was given the book for Christmas and started doing the TEA's soon after and they are helping me get going again. The book was inspiring but I still didn't think they would help me, but here I am now recommending them because they really do work if you work on them.
  • Agoraphobia often results from having had a panic attack in a public place, associating such places with panic, and wanting to avoid having another attack, away from a place where you can't get immediate help, or where you feel safe, which is usually at home. The idea is to learn, and become proficient in the techniques for coping with panic, then, little by little, and with support from a friend, family member, or therapist, (at first) start going out again, confident in the knowledge that you can cope with any attack. Section 27 on phobia, at ezy build, below, refers. View the techniques for control of anxiety/panic attacks, in section 8, at ezy build, below. Begin, on this first occasion, only, by holding your breath for 5, or 10 seconds: this will give you the confidence to realise that YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR BREATHING, but not pass out, or die (your autonomic nervous system resumes breathing, if you become unconscious). Understand panic attacks, and what triggers them, in your life (if it is unresolved anxiety, or stress, see sections 6, or 42, respectively). The paper bag method works for most people: try it. If you are fairly suggestible, the following are reliable: http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/Your last alternative is psychotherapy, to address its fundamental cause: read section 1, and examine the http://1-800-therapist.com/ website, and use the locators, and phone book. I used to suffer from panic attacks, until I questioned what had changed in my life, at, or just before that time, to trigger them. For some people, this is enough. These days, I have instilled the habit of, whenever a situation occurs where panic is likely, I visualise a large, "STOP!" sign, as vividly as possible, followed by repeating to myself: "stay calm" in my mind. You could try the same method. It usually takes 30 - 40 repetitions, for most people, to establish a new habit. I also suggest that you learn, then practise the controlled breathing technique, until competent, then employ it, at the very first sign of a panic attack. Practice one of the relaxation methods on pages 2, 11, 2c, or 2i, daily, and when needed. Also, give the EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. There is also a version for use in public places, (if you like, you can claim to have a headache, as you massage/lightly tap your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind). Section 53, and pages 2, 2.q and 2.o at http://www.ezy-build.net.nz/~shaneris also refer: "Even though I sometimes suffer from panic attacks, I deeply and completely accept myself." Note: the controlled breathing only helps with the symptoms (as do medications/herbal remedies): you need to address the underlying cause, and this requires some form of therapy, and Cognitive Behavio(u)ral Therapy has proved effective. Advice from a published psychiatrist on controlled breathing. (1.) Get a clock, or watch with a second timer. (2.) Practise for 5 minutes, 4 times daily, until proficient. (3.) Take a small breath in, and hold it, for 6 seconds. (4.) Think to yourself: "RELAX", just before breathing out. (5.) Try to feel a sense of releasing tension, as you breathe out. (6.) Breathe in for 3 seconds, then out, for 3 seconds. Try to make your breathing very smooth, and light, as you breathe in through your nose, and out through your mouth, or nose. (7.) For the next minute, continue to breathe in, and out, every 3 seconds. (8.) Go back to step 3, at the end of the minute, and proceed through to step 7, doing this for 5 minutes. Use this at the very first sign of a panic attack starting, or any time you feel anxious, or tense. Because many people can't access/afford professional therapy, I include the EFT, and EMDR variant for them to try, free of charge. Cognitive Behavio(u)ral Therapy is generally available in most areas, but EMDR (see section 33) may well be worth trying, and is becoming more widespread. (The following is a variant of EMDR therapy, which has been used successfully for those people suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, insomnia, and anxiety: it is easily learned, quick to use, yet can be very effective. It is easy to be dismissive of such a seemingly unusual technique, but give it a good tryout, for at least a few weeks, to see if it is effective in your case). Prior to using either of the methods in the above paragraph, first sit comfortably, and take a deep breath. Then, without moving your head, move your eyes from the left, to the right, and back again, taking around a second to do so (say: "a thousand and one": this takes approximately a second).Repeat this procedure (without the words, although you can count, subvocally, if you like) 20 times: "A thousand and one; a thousand and two... " and so on, to a thousand and twenty. Then close your eyes and relax. Become aware of any tension or discomfort you feel. Then open your eyes, and take another deep breath, and repeat step one, closing your eyes, and relaxing afterwards, in the same manner. Then, repeat the procedure one last time. Some people may find that this is all they need do. With experience, you may find that you can practise this in public, with your eyes closed, which greatly widens the window of opportunity for its use, and avoids attracting unwanted attention. I have found that the 2 - 3 minutes spent using the EMDR markedly reduces distractions to the relaxation process, and is repaid many times over.I also use it prior to my chosen relaxation technique, after lights out, at night. For more about Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing therapy, showing recommendations by those who have used it, including a professional psychotherapist with more than 20 years of experience in that field, see sections 33 - 34, at ezy-build. She was skeptical, at first, and I remained unconvinced, until trying it, and now I use it twice daily, including after lights out, at night. It may also help to minimise, or eliminate caffeine products from your life (coffee can be a trigger) and sugar. Xylitol, or Stevia is preferable, (health food stores) or fruit sugar (fructose, such as "Fruisana", from supermarket sugar aisles) or even a little honey. Minimise/eliminate consumption of highly processed foods, particularly grain products, such as white bread, donuts, cake, cookies/biscuits, or anything with sugar. Opt for more wholefoods, non-starchy vegetables, and fruit. Social phobia is addressed in section 9, at ezy build: view the comprehensive post first. See section 52, on alcohol, and section 6 on anxiety (view page N first). Chatsites and forums are to be found in those sections, and there is also http://www.therapy247.com & www.careplace.com and Groups at Myspace, Google, and Yahoo.
    shaneris 46 Replies Flag this Response
  • One word: Klonopin! Changed my life =)
  • Klonopin seemed great to me for a long time but eventually it stopped working for me and I now realize it made my problems worse. I am in the 11th week of a 15-week course of CBT and I am finally starting to get over the hump and see the value of confronting the problem at its root cause rather than medicating the symptoms. The TEA form exercise is tough to do initially but now that I get how to do them I am reaping the rewards which are many. Prior to trying CBT I was told I would have to be on several meds for the rest of my life, but I no longer think that will be the case. Time will eventually tell but thanks to all who posted encouraging words here, they really do help people like me who are trying to get where you guys are.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 9, 2009
    • 02:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had Agoriphobia for 37 yrs. of my 51 yrs of my life. If any of you out there have this disorder can you please reply & tell me what If any medication or any kind of thearpy has helped you even a tiny bit, Im so sick of being stuck In my world that consist of my home & yard. It's seem to have gotten a lot worse the last couple of yrs & Im at the end of my rope. I have read sooo many self-help books & most probally tried just about every med....seems like, but Nothing or no one can seem to give me any answer's In this small town I live In. The Dr's here are all old school & just want to think Im making all of this up!LOL!! I wish...It's like im living In my own private ***l 24/7 & Im not able to be the grandma I would Love to be. I cry a lot & my self esteem Is gone!! I use to be care free & nothing bothered me, untill this hit me out of the blue...BAMM!!! I was raped at age 8 yrs old, & the boy had about 6 BIG butcher knives & said he was going to kill me if I didn't take off all my clothes, more knives I still have a Fear of knives to this DAY!! I was raised In an Alcoholic home with constant Fear of my mom killing me in my sleep. I saved me & my 2 younger sister's from her killing us all with a knife...I had to put both my sisters out the tiny B Room window as she was screaming Im going to kill all of ya'll. I finally got them to safety & got my self out last...then I grabed them by thier tiny hand's & ran down the st. crying to a neighbor's house, I still remember the point of the knife coming through the bath room door & how scared I was. My mom passed away In 2003, she was an alcoholic & lived In her own private ***l, now her spirt Is finally at peace & at rest, she was one of 14 kid's. My aunt Margie passed away 4 months after my mom & she was more like a Mom to me & we could always Laugh together...I think about her every day & miss her sooo bad. I also lost my Daddy 2...Barney he was also more of a Daddy to me than my real Daddy was. He passed away last June. I also had a very close friend die totally unexpected...we were best friend's for about 15 yrs...but I had pulled away from her because she was also an alcoholic..& I had quit drinking. I hate Alcohol. Im going to start back to group thearpy In acouple of week's at our local Mental health...I need to be around people again & make my self go. I have kept my self isolated because I also have bad social anxiety & don't like being around anyone I don't know! I hate Agoriphobia & all of the crazy symptoms that come along with it..It's like Im In a constant battle to just stay alive!! 24/7 ***l is what I call it. If ANY of you out there have this & have found anything that has helped you..PLEASE let me know, I am sick of being sick & having to make excuses for Not perticipating In LIFE....but my fear's are all Very REAL & VERY SCAREY!! I wouldn't wish this crap on anyone but the Devil!! Thank's for taking the time to read my post...Please reply...I need a friend to chat with who understands the ***l I live Every DAY! Thank's & God Bless![
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement