Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

help...rabies question

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 28, 2007
  • 01:56 AM

Hi I found this on the internet and thought it sounded like a good place to ask this question...we found a cat that is very friendly at our barn. I was petting him and everything...I feel rather stupid now...the cat seemed to be "feral" but as I said he was very friendly and everything. He seemed hungry so we brought him home just for the night and we're keeping him in a cat carrier away from us and our other pets. It just occurred to me, though, that he could have the potential for rabies. I don't think he has it, but I've heard that very friendly animals could have it. He only showed agression toward our dog when he got too close to the carrier. When he was rubbing his face against my hand he may have gotten a small amount of saliva on my skin but he didn't bite or scratch me and the only "wound" I have on my hands is a very minor scratch that has basically healed. My questions are
1. Does it sound like this cat has rabies?
and 2. Do you think I am at risk enough for it that I should get vaccinated?
and 3. If I rubbed my face or anything is it possible for the virus to be transferred from my hands into my mouth?
I washed my hands and face very throroughly as soon as I thought about the possibility of the virus. I can't believe I was so stupid...anyway, thanks for whatever help you give me in this matter. I'm really scared but I want to know if there's really anything to be scared of.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement