Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

help...rabies question

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 7 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 28, 2007
  • 01:56 AM

Hi I found this on the internet and thought it sounded like a good place to ask this question...we found a cat that is very friendly at our barn. I was petting him and everything...I feel rather stupid now...the cat seemed to be "feral" but as I said he was very friendly and everything. He seemed hungry so we brought him home just for the night and we're keeping him in a cat carrier away from us and our other pets. It just occurred to me, though, that he could have the potential for rabies. I don't think he has it, but I've heard that very friendly animals could have it. He only showed agression toward our dog when he got too close to the carrier. When he was rubbing his face against my hand he may have gotten a small amount of saliva on my skin but he didn't bite or scratch me and the only "wound" I have on my hands is a very minor scratch that has basically healed. My questions are
1. Does it sound like this cat has rabies?
and 2. Do you think I am at risk enough for it that I should get vaccinated?
and 3. If I rubbed my face or anything is it possible for the virus to be transferred from my hands into my mouth?
I washed my hands and face very throroughly as soon as I thought about the possibility of the virus. I can't believe I was so stupid...anyway, thanks for whatever help you give me in this matter. I'm really scared but I want to know if there's really anything to be scared of.

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• If you have the animal in question physically detained (or in a cage or whatever) then have IT tested for rabies. Usually if there is a suspect case of rabies, doctors will give the shots for it regardless of a blood test confirming it. You do not want to have to get treatment for rabies as it involves getting injections on 3 different occasions directly into your stomach. The animal does not sound like it has rabies however as it's a stray, you need to have it tested.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • animals with rabies do not survive very long.that will be one way to tell.it will be difficult to distinguish rabies generated behaviour from the guardedness of an animal that has been looking out for itself.had the animal been behaving in the unusual,irrational way that would suggest rabies,i do not think youwould have failed to wish to avoid it.you would know,as all animals know:the behaviour states plainly;"keep away!"if the behaviour deteriorates or becomes more marked,that may be diagnostic.the "examination"for such an animal involves removing its brain.you may not be keen on this.my opinion is that though there is a theoretical risk,you would have to be very unlucky to have met this animal in the relatively short period between infection and death. (this is the reason that rabies spreads so slowly,---each infected animal has to bite and transmit the virus before it dies.,in the short period involved,this usually does not happen.this is a fact which is working here in your favour.)
  • Hi I found this on the internet and thought it sounded like a good place to ask this question...we found a cat that is very friendly at our barn. I was petting him and everything...I feel rather stupid now...the cat seemed to be "feral" but as I said he was very friendly and everything. He seemed hungry so we brought him home just for the night and we're keeping him in a cat carrier away from us and our other pets. It just occurred to me, though, that he could have the potential for rabies. I don't think he has it, but I've heard that very friendly animals could have it. He only showed agression toward our dog when he got too close to the carrier. When he was rubbing his face against my hand he may have gotten a small amount of saliva on my skin but he didn't bite or scratch me and the only "wound" I have on my hands is a very minor scratch that has basically healed. My questions are1. Does it sound like this cat has rabies?and 2. Do you think I am at risk enough for it that I should get vaccinated?and 3. If I rubbed my face or anything is it possible for the virus to be transferred from my hands into my mouth?I washed my hands and face very throroughly as soon as I thought about the possibility of the virus. I can't believe I was so stupid...anyway, thanks for whatever help you give me in this matter. I'm really scared but I want to know if there's really anything to be scared of.hi i want to to know rabies shots have not been given the stomach for well 0ver 16 years i had to take them because a friendly kitten i pick up in the woods at a walk and as we came in the house i let here down she turn on me and scratched me the front door was still open she run out i talk to my family doc there ask me for kitten to test and testing means most of time puting animale down , in my case i had to take them 6 of them in arm no sweat and if you read on rabies animales if you quaratine them and there will show sign with in days of behavior talk to your doc the shot are not bad salivia can be a problem if cat has rabies because that can give it to you if you got in mouth , dont worry been trough it is not bad shots iam a nurse also dont ask anyone here that is not medicaly qualilified as your doc he will give you best answer and vet if you have the animale good luck god bless you
  • http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/hogndog/faces_021.gif Well, in my opinion, there is nothing to worry about. Sure, having shots done is a must, but for a quick fix, take a bowl of water and set it where the kitty can drink. Animals with rabbies will absolutely freak out around water, and i'm sure you have heard that but have probably forgotten. "yes"?
    hogndog 426 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the replies, y'all.Yes, I have read that animals freak out around water, and being as this cat drank a LOT of water later, I don't think he has rabies. Once I calmed down enough to think about it logically, the cat is 1. not acting sick 2. not afraid of water and 3. unlikely to get rabies anyway, since the animals that usually transmit it come out during the summer and it's JUST beginning to warm up where I live. I think that the risk is too low to go in and get shots. Thanks very much for the replies!!!:)
  • hi i want to to know rabies shots have not been given the stomach for well 0ver 16 years i had to take them because a friendly kitten i pick up in the woods at a walk and as we came in the house i let here down she turn on me and scratched me the front door was still open she run out i talk to my family doc there ask me for kitten to test and testing means most of time puting animale down , in my case i had to take them 6 of them in arm no sweat and if you read on rabies animales if you quaratine them and there will show sign with in days of behavior talk to your doc the shot are not bad salivia can be a problem if cat has rabies because that can give it to you if you got in mouth , dont worry been trough it is not bad shots iam a nurse also dont ask anyone here that is not medicaly qualilified as your doc he will give you best answer and vet if you have the animale good luck god bless youHello, I was bit by my dog on my upper right knee and I had the Rabies Vaccine Shot they gave me 4 shots but sad to say I did'nt Take the last shot because I dont have money.... I dont know what to do..and its been years since the last 4 shots they gave me... and I still dont know if i need the last shot for rabbies....
  • stop worrying,four shots ,old chap.if you had rabies you would be well dead by now.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement