Discussions By Condition: Uterus conditions

Prolapsed Uterus

Posted In: Uterus conditions 38 Replies
  • Posted By: My2Boys
  • April 18, 2007
  • 02:26 AM

I gave birth to my second child this past December. After he was born, I hemmorhaged for 16 hours before the hospital realized there was a problem (only after I started passing softball size blood clots and passed out from blood loss)

Well, I ended up in emergency surgery to find out that I had several problems. 1 was that I had a "lazy uterus", meaning it wouldn't continue to contract after the birth to go back into shape. 2 was I had an internal tear that was bleeding and 3 was that a piece of the placenta was still stuck to the side of my uterus, which just made the blood flow from that piece.

Okay...my recovery from surgery was rough because I had lost so much blood and it felt like months before I had ANY energy.

At my 6 week appt, I found out that I have a prolapsed uterus. I am almost considering getting a second opinion from a new OB/GYN on everything that happened to me because I'm pretty sure that he is lying to me about what happened in the hospital (they had me so drugged up I don't remember a ton of it)

However, I wanted some opinions from ladies who have dealt with a prolapse. Was yours caused by an injury? Did you have to have a hysterectomy?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Reply Flag this Discussion

38 Replies:

• I am sorry to hear about your birth trauma, and please be patient with your recovery. Believe it or not, Traditional Chinese Medicine has successfully been treating uterine prolapse for hundreds of years. Please take some time if you can before resorting to surgery again, and find an acupuncturist who is also a certified herbalist who can help get you back on track. There is a classic Chinese formula called Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang which is used for different kinds of prolapse (uterine, rectal, anal, vaginal). 6 weeks is not long at all considering all that you went through. I hemmorrhaged during my delivery, and took over 9 months to get back to feeling somewhat normal after my emergency Csection. There are many paths towards healing, and I really think an Oriental Medical practitioner would help you immensely. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am so sorry to hear about your condition. I also have a prolapsed uterus and mine is so bad that I am having a hysterectomy in 5 days. I didn't notice until my son was about 3 months old and my fiancee and I began having sex again. I just wanted to tell you some of the things going on with me and was wondering if you have experienced any of these other problems that go along with this. I haven't had sex in 2 yrs because intercourse is so painful, it never was before, it felt like a dagger was inside of me. Another thing I noticed that was not normal was that when I had my next pap smear I about flew of the table because it hurt me so bad which never happened before. So I presented these issues to my gyno and there were no answers, she said she could find nothing abnormal with my body...at first intercourse was painful and then it just got unbearable. I went to a different gyno who told me to let him know when I felt discomfort...I did less than an inch from the opening. So he tried a procedure to see if a hysterectomy would benefit me and take care of my pain. I went in and he inserted each of the uterine ligaments, the nerves to the uterus lie there also, with 5cc of Lidocaine and then I had to have sex within 2-4 hrs after that. Well I was terrified because I hadn't had sex in 2 yrs because of the pain. It was like magic I had sex without pain. My doc said that because my uterus was so prolapsed I was having these difficulties and since the procedure worked I am now scheduled to have a hysterectomy, I am keeping my ovaries. So I was just wondering if you had any of these problems too?? Good Luck!!!!!!!:)
    ao71081 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. My new little guy has been sick! :( Well, I had a pap at my 6 week appt after my son was born and that did not hurt at all. However, because of the prolapse, I have been terrified to even try to have sex w/ my husband. He has been amazingly patient but I seriously would love to get back to my wife/husband relationship. My problem is that my prolapse is low enough that I feel like I'm sitting on something all the time and if I cough or sneeze or even lift anything heavy, I can feel it drop down.:eek: I will be going in for a follow up on my prolapse next month. I don't want anymore kids so I would be okay w/ a hyster if I could keep my ovaries so I don't have to go through menopause yet (I'm only 31). I hope that your hyster goes good. Please let me know how you are doing and if it helps you!
    My2Boys 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi My2Boys,Sorry to hear the kiddos are sick. Thanks for wishing me luck. Today is my first day home from the hospital since my hystorectomy I had it Wednesday and was in the hospital only 2 nights. I got lucky and I got to keep my ovaries...I fell the same way you do I myself am only 25 and was not ready for menopause yet. The staples are out and I am just a bit uncomfortable especially when the pain medicine wears off. But I am going to just take it easy. I wish you luck on your next appointment and I hope they get everything figured out for you.
    ao71081 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • I too have prolapsed uterus and am discussing a hysterectomy with my gyno. When mine was discovered 5 yrs ago, that doctor told me it is not unusual for women to go through this, especially after having babies. She told me at 46 yrs old, I was in very good shape for having had 5 babies. The gyno wanted to do a hysterectomy, but at the time, I had no insurance and no money, couldn't afford one. I have been wearing a pessory since then. It really does help during the day, it holds you up so you do not feel that pressure. I had an exam a week and 1/2 ago and the doctor found "tons of polyps" and we discussed a hysterectomy. I am post menopausal, will not have any more kids and would love to not deal with the pessory any longer. She wanted to do a D&C first. I was in such shock about the words, "possible cancer" that I agreed to the D&C. After thinking about it and talking with 2 freinds who have been through this also, I told her no D&C. Seems unnecessary to have both procedures and being put under twice. I have a consultation with her on Wednesday. Deb
    darlindeb25 122 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am so glad that i found this post.I too have uterine prolapse, i am 31 and have 3 children my youngest is 17 months old. I found out about my prolapse when i switched my ob because i had some problems with him (whole diffrent story) anyways i felt like something was falling out, had alot of pressure even more when i was on my period. sex is very painful. so i went to a new doctor that i actually know from when i was a teenager i went to him a few times because i was a patient of another doctor in his office. so i do trust him. anyways he told me that i have uterine prolapse we decided to go the hyster. route. i just wanted to hold off for a while until my daughter was a little older and weaned. my insurance changed so i had to go see a new doctor. the prolapse is getting bad i can actually see something when i look down there. i know something is not right. so this new doctor tells me that nothing is wrong i do not have uterine prolapse and that i am way to young to have it anyways,and that all woman look like that down there. am i crazy. is it normal to feel like something is falling out? it is really diffrent down there from before i had my daughter.i am going to go to a diffrent doctor and see what they say but it sure is nice to see that i am not the only 31 year old that has it and that maybe that doctor doesnt know what he is talking about.sorry for the rambling i am very tired but i really wanted to post on this subject. please let me know what you think :confused: -jay
    janesbaby 27 Replies Flag this Response
  • Yes Jay, it is very possible for you to have it too. The first doctor that diagnosed it with me was young and pregnant at the time, she told me she herself was already suffering from prolasped uterus and it is very common. There is another very good website for you to checkout--http://www.hystersisters.com/ . A prolapsed uterus can only worsen and cause other problems too. I am now facing all those problems, too which my first GYN never mentioned to me. Keep searching.
    darlindeb25 122 Replies Flag this Response
  • Yes, uterine prolapse is more common than many docs think, but it is NOT irreversible...please just consider trying acupuncture and Chinese herbs before resorting to surgery. Especially if your prolapse just occurred after childbirth - it can be very helpful if caught and treated in the earlier stages. Best wishesDOM
  • I am so glad that i found this post.I too have uterine prolapse, i am 31 and have 3 children my youngest is 17 months old. I found out about my prolapse when i switched my ob because i had some problems with him (whole diffrent story) anyways i felt like something was falling out, had alot of pressure even more when i was on my period. sex is very painful. so i went to a new doctor that i actually know from when i was a teenager i went to him a few times because i was a patient of another doctor in his office. so i do trust him. anyways he told me that i have uterine prolapse we decided to go the hyster. route. i just wanted to hold off for a while until my daughter was a little older and weaned. my insurance changed so i had to go see a new doctor. the prolapse is getting bad i can actually see something when i look down there. i know something is not right. so this new doctor tells me that nothing is wrong i do not have uterine prolapse and that i am way to young to have it anyways,and that all woman look like that down there. am i crazy. is it normal to feel like something is falling out? it is really diffrent down there from before i had my daughter.i am going to go to a diffrent doctor and see what they say but it sure is nice to see that i am not the only 31 year old that has it and that maybe that doctor doesnt know what he is talking about.sorry for the rambling i am very tired but i really wanted to post on this subject. please let me know what you think :confused: -jay Hi I just wanted to tell you that my mom suffered from a prolapsed uterus after she had my brother and she put up with it for years. She would always tell me she felt like something was trying to push it's way out of her and like a constant pressure down there. One day I was having some female issues so I was asking her what it was like and how could I tell if I had one or not. She told me hers had dropped so bad that she could see it. She had already been diagnosed with this but she did not want to have a hysterectomy b/c she was not ready to go through 'the change.' She finally talked to a doctor b/c it was gradually getting worse and her bladder ended up prolapsing too. She finally had a hysterectomy and bladder repair about 5 years ago and she has been so much better since. If you feel something is wrong; pursue it b/c you know your body better than anyone. I hope this helps you out. Thoughts & Prayers! God Bless!:)
    BrideToBe78 7 Replies Flag this Response
  • DOM, I am VERY interested in finding out herbal rememdies for my prolapsed uterus. I just found it this evening my uterus is prolapsed. I have been trying to get pregnant with my second child for 3 months now. I went to check my cervix to see if I had ovulated (I haven't checked it for over 2 years since I was trying to get pg with my son so I know where the cervix is supposed to be.) and low and behold there was my cervix at the opening of my vagina. I will be calling my ob/gyn for an app. ASAP but I am NOT wanting to have surgery to repair this. I had to have an emergency c-section to have my son and I had surgery in January of this year to remove an ectopic pregnancy.Can you please help me?!Jana
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello All ,just Wanted To Add My Experience To Offer Some Foos For Thought.I Also Had A Prolasped Uterus 15 Years Ago ,i Didn't Want A Hysterectomy ,as I Am A Nurse And I Understand As Well As A Having Taken Care Of Many Women Who Have Weakned Pelvic Wall Problems After A Hysterectomy.i Chose To Have My Uterus Suspened And I'm So Glad That I Did .i've Had No Problems Since The Repair .has Anyone Offered A Option To Having A Hysterctomy? The Doc's Always Encourage The Hyster,get Informed It's Your Body ,once The Uterus Is Gone Is Gone .and By The Way It's Not Just A Baby Machine .ithas Alot Of Other Functions .good Luck ,just Do Whats Best For You And What You Can Live With .
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2008
    • 06:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi,I googled this term and came to this site. My mom recently went to the doctor and was told about this condition(however she described it to me and I found the condition name, not sure on whether her dr. mentioned the term and she just forgot). But her dr. scheduled a followup appt with a gyn..which is tomorrow. However, my mom complained of unusual sensation in her abdomen/stomach area over the weekend. She said that it didn't hurt but just felt strange...I think she mentioned that her abdomen seemed to be swollen and when applying pressure there was a strange sensation...not painful but maybe on the verge. I'm just wondering if this might be an additional symptom of this diagnosis...I just hope it's not something else. My mother has a daycare, she's in her late 50s and is menopause and does pick up the kids a lot....which I know she has complained that they are heavy. So please share if you have felt symptoms that remotely sound like this? I'm just looking for more info between now and the time she is meeting with the gyn. Also...what are the options and what should she be asking her dr...I suggested she request an x-ray to rule out other possibilities...is that something you requested or had done as part of your examination?Thanks~
  • Hi Tell your mom to go to doctor ASAP. I had same symtoms except I felt something was coming out of me it was my cervix. I was misdiganosed and told it was a prolaspe uterus. Went to another doctor and immedietly he said I was bleeding into my uterus and cervix and they did a emergency D&C. I had not had a period in 14 months but I was bleeding inside. I can not seem to find anything about this problem I don't go back to the doctor until next week. All they told my husband that they did biopsy and there was no blood coming back into uterus after the D&C. All the info I can find on this points to uterine cancer. I'm 47 years old and everyone kept telling me I was to young for menapause. The doctor did tell my husband that I was post-menapausal.
    sillysyl 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • my uterus come out from my vegina please tell treatmentI am so sorry to hear about your condition. I also have a prolapsed uterus and mine is so bad that I am having a hysterectomy in 5 days. I didn't notice until my son was about 3 months old and my fiancee and I began having sex again. I just wanted to tell you some of the things going on with me and was wondering if you have experienced any of these other problems that go along with this. I haven't had sex in 2 yrs because intercourse is so painful, it never was before, it felt like a dagger was inside of me. Another thing I noticed that was not normal was that when I had my next pap smear I about flew of the table because it hurt me so bad which never happened before. So I presented these issues to my gyno and there were no answers, she said she could find nothing abnormal with my body...at first intercourse was painful and then it just got unbearable. I went to a different gyno who told me to let him know when I felt discomfort...I did less than an inch from the opening. So he tried a procedure to see if a hysterectomy would benefit me and take care of my pain. I went in and he inserted each of the uterine ligaments, the nerves to the uterus lie there also, with 5cc of Lidocaine and then I had to have sex within 2-4 hrs after that. Well I was terrified because I hadn't had sex in 2 yrs because of the pain. It was like magic I had sex without pain. My doc said that because my uterus was so prolapsed I was having these difficulties and since the procedure worked I am now scheduled to have a hysterectomy, I am keeping my ovaries. So I was just wondering if you had any of these problems too?? Good Luck!!!!!!!:)
  • I just read through all the posts regarding prolapse. I am new as of today to this topic. I went in for what I thought was a UTI and was diagnosed with this. I am 34 and have had 7 children in 14 years and trust my OBGYN completely. Secondary to having my uterus removed, I am needing my bladder and rectum tacked. I am scheduled to have the surgery in 2 weeks. I have never encountered any health issues in my 34 years and I am hoping having surgery will provide me good results. I have been reading posts most of the evening and have heard both good and bad results. Any information or insight you might have would be helpful. Thanks - H
  • I just read through all the posts regarding prolapse. I am new as of today to this topic. I went in for what I thought was a UTI and was diagnosed with this. I am 34 and have had 7 children in 14 years and trust my OBGYN completely. Secondary to having my uterus removed, I am needing my bladder and rectum tacked. I am scheduled to have the surgery in 2 weeks. I have never encountered any health issues in my 34 years and I am hoping having surgery will provide me good results. I have been reading posts most of the evening and have heard both good and bad results. Any information or insight you might have would be helpful. Thanks - H I would just suggest trying acupuncture first before surgery...also, a second opinion may be helpful. Best wishesDOM
  • Out of no where 3 days ago I discovered a bulge in my vagina ( right @ opening ) It felt hard as a rock. I panicked & asked my boyfriend to feel the difference from one side to the next. He could not tell ( I dont know how he couldnt ) It feels s though I am sitting on something & some pressure too. I am 43 & have a 14yr. old daughter & a 23 month old son. ( I know BIG age gap )haha I no longer can go to the gyno I have went to for 20 yrs. due to an insurance change. I am going to a new Dr. in 3 days to see what he says. I have been all over the web when I found this site & it has been so helpful! Thanks so much & wish me luck :-)
  • hello, first of all im sorry to hear whats happening to you, im sorry i dont really have an answer for prolapsed uterus i know is not good and must be very painful to go through, but honestly i hope this dose not sound selfish of me but im happy you post this and its good to know theres other pph suvivors out there like yourself, i felt so alone in this too I experienced postpartum hemorrhage also with my first baby last april, i guess turns out my uterus was not contracting enough either, and the placenta was forced out then hemorrhaged, 2 weeks later turns out there was retained placenta left inside so i had to have an d&c, later on i had another ultrasound tho i had 2 scars inside my uterus, even tho i did not go through as bad as yourself i could seriously understand how your feelings is scary as ***l, i suggest in your case talking to another doctor and for sure ask your records and go through them, im so sorry reading your topic almost makes me want to cry, your in my prayers girl
    cats19 1 Replies
    • September 10, 2008
    • 03:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • in 4 days i am going in to have a posterior vaginal repair and a prolene sling placed on my bladder.i had my daughter 17 weeks ago and a week after her birth i noticed a lump in my vagina which came down all the way to the opening. i went and saw my Ob and she diagnosed me with a bladder prolapse and sent me off for physio. Didn't work!i made an appointment with a Urogynocologist (specialises in these types of things) and he diagnosed me with a serve prolapsed uterus and a weaking of the "tap" and neck of my bladder.he suggested that i could leave as is, or have surgery and correct it, but i would have to have c-sections for any future births.i agreed to the surgery and am now heading in on monday to have mesh placed at the back of my vagina, to support my uterus, tightening of the ligurement and tentons holding the uterus and a mesh sling around my bladder to support it.there is no way herbal remedies/accupunture would fix this!the ligurements and tendons that hold your uterus in place are stretch and this has allowed the uterus to drop.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 11, 2008
    • 01:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have been diagnosed with a total prolapsed uterus. I have been to a Gyno urologist and suggested reconstruction surgery. Unfortunately no pessery was able to help. I refuse to have any surgury unless absolutely neccessary. I find it hard to believe that in this day in age there isn't another solution to this problem. Why not glue things back in place? Or customize pesseries. No two human bodies are exactly the same. From what I have read, once a person has surgery, you must take it easy, no lifting or pulling or risk having more complications as a result. I for one am very active. I always felt there is nothing I can't do, so you might as well put me in a wheel chair. This is one of the reasons for not having reconstruction. I rather go on with my life as I am than have to limit my abilities. Crazy Glue is sounding better every day. Ha ha!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 24, 2008
    • 01:23 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement