Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Doctors are baffled as to why I have persistant spots and flashes in my vision..

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: foreveryoung
  • April 16, 2007
  • 05:37 PM

Hi I am a 26 year old healthy mom of three. 4 years ago I started seeing black flashes in my vision periodically. They were exactly like what happens after someone takes your picture, only they would occur out of nowhere. They would last a few seconds and always cause me to have an anxiety attack. So I went to the eye doctor and they determined my eyes were fine and put me on some anxiety medicine for a year. It happened few and far between so I was able to cope. About 2 years later they started happening more frequently, on a daily basis. Not only did I see the black flashes, but sometimes white cloudy flashes, and at times I have a bad episode that looks like a million flashing veins in one eye. These episodes are terrifying and last about 10 minutes gradually getting better. One second I can see and the next all I see are these veins. Now my eyes are so light sensitive, I have light blue eyes to begin with, that any change in light will usually triger these spots or flashes. Going in the house from the sun outside will cause it. Walking into a dept. store will cause it. Not to mention they still happen randomly when I am watching t.v, reading anything. I see these flashes 100's of times a day and the bad episodes once every couple monthes, thank goodness it's not more frequent. I have been to the eye doctor, the Cleveland Clinic, my family doctor, a neurologist and everyone is clueless. My eyes have been dilated and determined there is no retinal tear or detachment. I have had a CT and MRI and nothing showed up. They can only conclude I have persistant visual aura. So they put me on a beta blocker preventitive migrane medicine and I see no change whatsoever. Is there any other possiblities as to what is going on? Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated as I am so frustrated the doctors can't seem to help me. I should also say I have recently had my thyroid tested and sugar tested. Both came back okay. The doctor only said the B12 was low, only 206 out of a 200-900 range. I also have periodic tingling sensations in my fingertips and face which the doctor and neurologists can't figure out and only say it's no big deal. Please help if you can as it would be the answer to my prayers. My life has changed so much. I can't work now and can rarely drive because of these flashes . My kids need me to get better as they are all still young. Thank you so much for taking the time to read!:)

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement