Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

neuropathy

Posted In: Nerve conditions 21 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 19, 2006
  • 03:23 AM

Does any one out there know of a way to reduce the burning sensation that my dad experiences at night?
what other symtoms do experience .
thanks pappma

Reply Flag this Discussion

21 Replies:

• Ask His Doctor About A Patch Called Lioderm. It Really Helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 19, 2006
    • 05:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I Wish I Could Give You An Answer, I Was Just Diagnosed With The Same Problem, Nuropathy And The Pain And Symptoms Are Horrible, Especially At Nite, Its Gotten To The Point Were I Am Now Taking Ambien A Sleeping Pill To Sleep At Nite Because Of My Legs. I Also Wear Long Tube Socks To Bed Because The Feeling Of The Blanket On My Leg Is So Painful,if U Get Any Answers Let Me No.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 19, 2006
    • 00:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Help, I have been suffering for about 2 years now. I'm a 34 year old female. I take Lyrica which helps with the cramping in the legs. This goes on all day long. I try not to take it while working but gets so bad that I take 75mg around 3pm then around 4:30 150mg this gets me so I can sleep at night. But once I get up to go to the bathroom my legs get restless again. Is there anything anyone can tell me?
    shellyszek 1 Replies
    • October 3, 2006
    • 01:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • ask your doctor @ a medicine called neurontin. it is a drug originally used for epelepsy but is also being used for the pain associated w/nerve pain.they start you out @ a lower dose increasing weekly,it has to build up in your system , until pain is under control.i just started on it and was upped in dosage today,although my pain is not yet under control while i'm awake, the pain is no longer waking me up all nite.i do know 2 people personally that it helped take away the pain.:)
    murfit 5 Replies
    • October 4, 2006
    • 00:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • ask your doctor @ a medicine called neurontin. it is a drug originally used for epelepsy but is also being used for the pain associated w/nerve pain.they start you out @ a lower dose increasing weekly,it has to build up in your system , until pain is under control.i just started on it and was upped in dosage today,although my pain is not yet under control while i'm awake, the pain is no longer waking me up all nite.i do know 2 people personally that it helped take away the pain.:)
    murfit 5 Replies
    • October 4, 2006
    • 00:25 AM
    Flag this Response
    murfit 5 Replies
    • October 4, 2006
    • 00:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I Wish I Could Give You An Answer, I Was Just Diagnosed With The Same Problem, Nuropathy And The Pain And Symptoms Are Horrible, Especially At Nite, Its Gotten To The Point Were I Am Now Taking Ambien A Sleeping Pill To Sleep At Nite Because Of My Legs. I Also Wear Long Tube Socks To Bed Because The Feeling Of The Blanket On My Leg Is So Painful,if U Get Any Answers Let Me No. see posting / murfit
    murfit 5 Replies
    • October 4, 2006
    • 00:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • see new posting/ murfit hope it helps
    murfit 5 Replies
    • October 4, 2006
    • 00:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the same problem with burning in my right leg. What helped me was elevating the leg on top of a pillow throughout the night. Let me know if it helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2006
    • 00:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi - my mom has Neuropathy and it is getting more severe with the pain. She has finally found something that helps a bit so she can sleep and also function a few hours during the day so she doesn't have to be in a wheel-chair all of the time. I just phoned her to get the info for you. Hopefully I wrote it down correctly for you. She takes 100 mg of something called tab-amitriplyline and one 75 mg of something called Pregabalin before bed - then in the morning she takes another 75 mg of Pregabalin. So 2X 75 mg of Pregabalin per day plus the one 100 mg of the amitriplyline. My mom says that it dulls the pain but the pain is there, it just makes it more tollerable. She also has ice-packs on her feet in bed and sometimes floats ice-packs in a foot bath to keep it cold.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2006
    • 06:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had Lyrica and it both killed the pain and also put me to sleep. Unfortunately I came down with a nasty itching rash so I quit. Still have the pain and the itch from the rash. Dis the lyrica cause It? I donno. John
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have been taking "Neurontin" for about two years.It has been a miracle drug for me. It blocks the painthat I have had for about 19 years. I still have somepain but nothing like I use to have. It is wonderful.Not habit forming nor a narcotic.Jen
  • The pain in my leg is severe at night and my doctor also prescribed amitriplyline. It is a medication used for depression but can also be used as a nerve blocker. I had told him that I was only sleeping sporadically throughout the night and never got more than 4-5 hours total. I take it about 1/2 before bedtime and since taking it I get a full 8 hours sleep (wake up once or twice during night to go to bathroom, but go right back to sleep). Of course getting to sleep it still a "pain" - pun intended. I have found that raising my leg on a pillow helps initially. The medication has been a wonder drug for me since I am now sleeping soundly, unfortunately I still have the pain all day. I am on Darvocet and Naproxen and sometimes they help, sometimes they don't. Unfortunately both have terrible side effects - constipation and heartburn.
  • I have burning pressure pain when I lay down to sleep. I get sore wherever my body is touching the bed/couch/chair, especially my back, shoulders, hips, thighs, and back end. For the first few months, sitting up or partially reclining relieved the pain enough for me to sleep. I've had this problem for 7 months now, and nothing relieves it anymore. Even driving my car or sitting in a chair makes me sore in a matter of minutes. I can usually sleep through the pain now, except this week I've had a flare-up and the pain is again too much to sleep through. Neurontin (gabapentin) did NOT help me. One night I was so desperate to sleep that I took a small dose of a muscle relaxant. It knocked me out for 24 hours! I don't take NSAIDs very often because of bleeding problems, and they don't seem to help this pain. I've had lots of blood tests and neurological tests, including ANA and other anti-antibodies, and an MRI and EMG and EEG. All they ever find is small red blood cells (thalassemia trait) and low platelets (due to an enlarged spleen which is due to portal vein hypertension despite a healthy liver). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    sleep_pain 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • has anyone ever recovered from neuropathy?i only seem to get worse - its starting in right side now.amitriptyline helped with the pains but larger doses made me 'angry':mad: gabapethin helps me walk a bit straighter.quinine bisulphate helps with crampy legs in bednow the embarasment is as bad as the pain.:( i feel sure theres a bust bit of bone in my neckbut my doc says it would have shown up on EMG i hadother doc recons they didn't test far enough up my arm
    numptyyoz 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Help, I have been suffering for about 2 years now. I'm a 34 year old female. I take Lyrica which helps with the cramping in the legs. This goes on all day long. I try not to take it while working but gets so bad that I take 75mg around 3pm then around 4:30 150mg this gets me so I can sleep at night. But once I get up to go to the bathroom my legs get restless again. Is there anything anyone can tell me? I had restless legs back in the late 90"s when even the doctors hadn't much knowledge...searchin the internet I came upon a doctor who had them and he had tried a number of medication...he decided that caffenine is bad so he quit all food and drinks containing caffenie and in matter of weeks he had no restless legs...I tried this and lo and behold no more restless legs...I do drink coffee in the morning and limit my intake to no more than 3 a day and hardly ever eat chocolate...I am a "tea totaler" so acohol was not a problem...hope this might help you....
    Ardis Moseman 1 Replies
    • August 10, 2007
    • 01:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • ask your doctor @ a medicine called neurontin. it is a drug originally used for epelepsy but is also being used for the pain associated w/nerve pain.they start you out @ a lower dose increasing weekly,it has to build up in your system , until pain is under control.i just started on it and was upped in dosage today,although my pain is not yet under control while i'm awake, the pain is no longer waking me up all nite.i do know 2 people personally that it helped take away the pain.:)Nurotin is addictive!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 9, 2009
    • 09:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This could be a vitamin/mineral deficiency...magnesium and potassium deficiencies can cause this. Also B1-thiamine deficiency can cause the burning and numbness and tingling.... The drugs are only going to treat the symptom, not the cause and could cause other problems!
  • If you can get a foot tent for the bed it can really help. Try touching you feet with your hands to see if they are too hot or too cold, for me both too hot and too cold feel the same, and it hurts. I am in Calif where we have medical marijuana, (don't laugh it can help), a little at night just before bed for a good night sleep, but if you smoke too much it will make the pain worse. (this last one should never be first choice).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 3, 2009
    • 00:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Does any one out there know of a way to reduce the burning sensation that my dad experiences at night?what other symtoms do experience . thanks pappma One helpful suggestion I got from a nurse, is to keep a ziplock bag of tube socks in the refrigerator and put them on right before bed. The softer the socks, the better it works.
    lost hope 4 Replies
    • November 20, 2009
    • 04:36 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement