Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Hives, Rash, and more almost 6 years and no answers!!!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 12 Replies
  • Posted By: Kerrie11378
  • April 15, 2007
  • 02:54 AM

Ok. For the past six years I have been to too many doctors to even count and no one can give me an aswer. It started in June of 2002 and at that time I had hives, large itchy red, over most of my body. Went to the hospital after going into shock. They gave me steroids, I got better. Followed up with allergist. Each time I would start hives again she gave me medrol pack (steroids) Was on 14 doses in that first year. Decided I needed new doctor. Tried a dermotologist. He said fungal infection and gave me cream. Did not work. Hives got better. When they came back, went to new allergist. Got tested for over 180 things. Not allergic to any of them. Did bloodwork. Found out that I am factor V leiden (clot easily), have pcos (ovary cysts). Nothing that would cause the hives, said doctors. Now on metformin for cysts as I was starting to loose hair from too much testosterone and can't take birth control with the factor v. Still no diagnosis for the hives. Hives go away and come back again. Try a dermotologist again. No help, tries to give me more steroids...no thanks I already gained 60 pounds from all the other steroids. Now a week ago friday I get new hives. Not the same type. These are not raised and do not hurt. These are all over and come and go. The other ones would appear and last for weeks. These come out on arm then go away, then legs and go away. no part of the body has been spared except palms and souls of feet. Face is extremely flushed constantly. Dermo gives me zyrtec and Atarax but she thinks its strep infec. of the skin orders blood work. Curbs the rash. It comes out each hour before I take next does of meds. Third day on meds develop extreme abdominal pain (this is last tues). Call dermo she says see internist. I see him he tells me its diverticulitis and not related to the rash. He calls for results of blood work dermo ordered. High white and red cell count. High anticardiolipids. He says means nothing. He gives me cipro for div. infection. So now here I am over a week with this new rash and still no answers AGAIN! I would offer my first born for an answer at this point. I have a hard time believing the abdominal pain is not linked with the hives. I refuse to take more steroids and just get rid of the rash (hives) and do it all again next time they appear. Someone out there must have something similar to this, please help!!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• Are you taking Aleve or any ibuprofen as well as aspirin? My husband suffered for 2 years with a rash that would not stop. He went to our doctor, another doctor, several dermatologists, applied creams, salves, took medicine, you name it. Finally, thank God, a friend told us that her sister's naturopath told her not to combine ibuprofen and aspirin in any way. My husband stopped. The rashes stopped! The rashes that bled from his scratching at night, that drove him crazy during the day...every day...every night, were gone. Aleve will cause rashes and hives. Combining ibuprofen and aspirin will, too. Doctors don't tell us this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Also went from doc to doc, did all kinds of blood tests.....finally found a doc who ordered very detailed testing (not covered by my insurance), she found the culprit! It's different for every person. For myself, I had a parasite infestation. As soon as we took care of that, rashes disappeared. (Local docs had tested for parasites and all tests came up negative...that's because their tests are less comprehensive, cuz that's all the insurance pays for). When dh developed hives and rashes and the local docs could not find a cure, other than creams and more creams....that didn't entirely eradicate the problem...only pushed it underwater until next time....so dh got tested by same doc who had helped me...turns out dh had a severe allergy to gluten and casein and food coloring. By the way, are you a blood type o ? If you want to try the doc who helped me post an email address.
  • Thanks for the info. I have been tested for gluten, food coloring and just about everything else, except parasite? Could that last 6 years?? I am definitely going to ask my internist about that one. I am type a positive. As for the other response, I do take asprin daily for the facotr v since I had the clot. I never noticed if the hives come out after I've taken aleve or something like it. Thanks for the info I am def. going to keep an eye on that. Kerrie113 at aol if anyone has anymore help or would want to email me info privately...THANKS
  • If you want to try the doc who helped me post an email address. Please let me know who your doctor is and how to contact their office. Thank you!
  • PLEASE POST DOCTOR.............. i have rash for 8 years..... i truley believe i do have parasites..please help me. I live in CA i will do anything to cure myself. I will fly out anywhere for treatment.
  • PLEASE visit www.ahummingbirdsguide.com all sx are there...HUNDREDS on this site having similar symptoms...PLEASE read where I've posted.....I'm not saying you have it...just saying it's worth a look.mommy cat
    mommy cat 1,654 Replies Flag this Response
  • Have you tried Neem Oil? I too have been hunting around trying to figure out what's wrong with me. I started to 1 or 2 hives on my hands they'd itch like crazy, now I have them on my legs. I've been paraniod thinking they were scabies or something, but if I had then that would mean my husband had them. I recently started trying Neem Oil, it kills the mites and parasites on plants and i did some research and found that it's used for psoriasis and eczema and is effective for skin parasites as well for example scabies. The paranoid, panicky person in me is willing to try anything, so I hunted online and bought some anti-itch neem based oil. I swear this has to be some sort of parasite, anways, symptoms have subsided significantly with the Neem oil, but I can't stand the smell, nothing on earth could make it smell good, I'd still like to keep my friends, so I use it at night so only my husband has to deal with the stench. It made a huge difference, I don't itch as much, the hives have started to go away and others have finally started to heal (thank God, i was starting to look diseased). I'm still getting the occasional hive, but I suspect it's because I'm lazy and didn't try applying the oil from the neck down. Will be trying this tactic this evening and hope the everything goes away by Friday. Keep thinking it's scabies because it was worse on my knees but when I looked at the photos online the wee papules on my hands were no where near as bad as what I saw on the web. I read they affect the hands and knees but I dunno DH has no symptoms at all. aaaahhh!!! I bought a bottle of the pure neem oil but have been avoiding it because of the smell....:( Well...if just putting the anti-itch lotion on all over doesn't fully eradicate everything...we'll see how pure neem oil goes...move over Peppie le PU! Hope this thought helps!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2008
    • 06:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the information. I actually have finally found a doctor that was willing to listen to me. He sent me to Columbia Presb. in NYC for a biopsy of the hives. It turns out to be discoid (or skin) lupus. I have been on Plaquenil for about two months now and have not had any signs of a single rash or hive!!!
    Kerrie11378 1 Replies
    • February 18, 2008
    • 02:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had chronic hives for about a year now. Tests and drugs...still itchy. I have been doing research on food intolerance. Read Food Allergies and Food Intolerance book. Useful info ... but not enough. Elimination diet and still itchy. But continued to look and just came across a food intolernce web site. I am going to try to limit salicyclates. Everything I was eating was causing itching. I followed guidelines for food elimination and still was itchy. If I do have a food intolerance to salicylates...then the guidelines to eliminate foods included several foods that contain salicylates.Wish me luck http://www.salicylatesensitivity.com/ Click around the site and look for food list.
  • Also went from doc to doc, did all kinds of blood tests.....finally found a doc who ordered very detailed testing (not covered by my insurance), she found the culprit! It's different for every person. For myself, I had a parasite infestation. As soon as we took care of that, rashes disappeared. (Local docs had tested for parasites and all tests came up negative...that's because their tests are less comprehensive, cuz that's all the insurance pays for). When dh developed hives and rashes and the local docs could not find a cure, other than creams and more creams....that didn't entirely eradicate the problem...only pushed it underwater until next time....so dh got tested by same doc who had helped me...turns out dh had a severe allergy to gluten and casein and food coloring. By the way, are you a blood type o ? If you want to try the doc who helped me post an email address.spunklinn@aol.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 20, 2010
    • 02:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had hives for years. My daughter suggested I stop using aspartame. I gave up Diet Dr. Pepper and my hives have virtually disappeared. They are much much less of a problem now.
    lilac7779 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Been having hives for over a yr been seen and jumped around from doc to doc. Been to the ER and they put me on Steroids as well, it was great but with slowly coming off the steroids my vision was missed up so I just stopped because I could not see and was also scared about gaining weight, I feel that is the only cure is steroids and I will not take them! Been on several different meds and I just feel sick after taking them or sleepy and my hives are still there just slimes the itch. I just took ibuprofen and aspirin together if this is the medical cure for my hives I would not know how to think you! I am willing to try anything at this point there non-attractive, itchy and hurt all the time. I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to speak out.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2011
    • 05:05 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement