Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

a living nightmare

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: gabbmt
  • April 11, 2007
  • 03:38 AM

my dtr had a complete body lift, breast lift,lipo in her back, chin, and abd, with an arm lift too.she had this surgery in mexico from a dr. other friends had gone to with great results. she is 33. she had a 10 hr surgery and flew home to tx within 14 hrs of surgery.she was told to expect shortness of breathe from the surgery, and recovery time is norm of 6 wks. she was home ten days when her sob became increasingly worse.we phoned the dr. and he said that should not be happening at this time post surgery. i carried her to the er dept with her lips blue and her fingertips blue. she was immediately scanned and had a 13 mm pulmonary embolism in the branch of the pulmonary artery,the dr, staff had never seen one this big, and they fully expected her heart to explode with a pulse rate of 150 no bp could be obtained.she was given a clot buster to break up the pe and had a filter placed in her vena cava. then we had to worry about all her incisions bleeding out. her incisions had never started to heal due to the pe, so a hematoma formed behind the abd insicion , it became infected and it opened up exposing all the stitches and leaking a great amount. we went to a wound care center and the dr there opened it up and all this ugly fluid ran out and it smelled awful, a huge amt of skin was already necrotic. he referred us to a trauma surgeon and he had to remove 2 inches of her abd skin and tissue, the infection had already started to eat into her abd muscles. she had 4 kinds of bacteria, staph,mrsa,e coli and psuedmonous. she was in the hosp 11 days receiving antibioctics . 3 different ones every 4 hrs. since getting out the wound dr has had to debride another huge amt of tissue and it still has bacteria in it.we may have to go to a larger wound clinic or even have more surgically removed. i am, scared to death that she is going to get sepsis and die. tell me what you know about sepsis and abd injuries?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement