Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Anxiety or something else??

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 10 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 31, 2007
  • 07:57 PM

Hello all I have been having chest pain/ jaw pain/ arm pain and shortness of breath for the past 2 years.It seems to be getting progressivly worse. I am at my wits end because the ER doesn't really look to closely at me because I am a 23 year old female with no family history and no HB pressure or high colesterol. I have had an EKG done and a heart gas (I think thats the name to check the oxygen level of my heart) as well as many other chest X-rays and physical evaluations. I have been to about 8 different doctors and it is very expernsive for me because I have no medical insurance. I also feel like I am chocking sometimes and feel like I can't breath. Anyone have any insight??

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

• Does anyone have any insight at all??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello, it seems like it's anxiety, that is, if your exams didn't showed up anything concerning... You should see a psychiatrist then.
  • If you haven't already, you should probably have full stress testing done to completely rule out heart problems. Do you have chest pressure, chest pain, or breastbone pain? If you have jaw, arm, and breastbone pain, well those "can" be a signs of an abscess tooth. I had the same symptoms (the arm only hurt once in a while) and after 2 1/2 years of agony found that I had a neucrotic tooth. I had CT scans, Xrays, MRIs - nothing showed the abscess. My dentist just took a chance & drilled into the tooth closest to the jaw pain. The pain is much improved, but I'm still having trouble with hoarseness/coughing/chestpain - thus my presence on this forum.:( Are you on any meds? If so check them for side effects. I know anxiety causes chest pain/pressure. Do you notice you clench your jaw (another anxiety symptom)? Anxiety symptoms are usually quite vague - you can't point to a spot and say "It hurts right HERE!". So it would be common for a person with anxiety to say "My chest hurts", but they might have a hard time describing or pinpointing the pain (does that make sense?). You mentioned you don't have insurance. There are many government funded mental health clinics that charge on a sliding scale basis. Anxiety or not, I think it's always helpful to have some help while you are trying to deal. Good Luck!
    Jean Marie 38 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello all I have been having chest pain/ jaw pain/ arm pain and shortness of breath for the past 2 years.It seems to be getting progressivly worse. I am at my wits end because the ER doesn't really look to closely at me because I am a 23 year old female with no family history and no HB pressure or high colesterol. I have had an EKG done and a heart gas (I think thats the name to check the oxygen level of my heart) as well as many other chest X-rays and physical evaluations. I have been to about 8 different doctors and it is very expernsive for me because I have no medical insurance. I also feel like I am chocking sometimes and feel like I can't breath. Anyone have any insight??What did the 8 different medical doctors say? It sounds to me like you are having panic attacks. Many people have some or all of the symptoms you described when they are having a panic attack. Therapy and anti-anxiety medication will help you get control of these symptoms. Check out a community mental health center in your area because they are usually affordable. (I work for one, see this all the time)
  • A friend of mine was medicated for all the strangest things, before one doctor thought of? Asthma!
    Curly Stooge 319 Replies Flag this Response
  • have your thyroid checked, and lyme test
  • Also please be aware of this: www.westonaprice.org/soy/complaints.html whole page (!) and http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm .. There is a lot of soy in commercial bread and many other products.Testing for thyroid function is highly dubious when found negative. You may want to read "The Effects of Fluoride on the Thyroid Gland" at http://rense.com/general57/FLUR.HTM .. We get "Dabur" Ayurvedic toothpaste here, from India - works well, nice flavours, no evil Colgate effects.
    Curly Stooge 319 Replies Flag this Response
  • Its a PANIC ATTACK, I had it many times and was rushed to the ER, until my doctor diagnosed as PANIC ATTACKS, and was treated. PANIC ATTACKS are soooo scary it realy feels like you are having a HEART ATTACK, and you are about to die. It is a feeling one can NOT explain unless you experienced it. I feel sorry for you, I know what you are feeling.However it CAN and should be treated.It usaully comes from long term STRESS (i.e. Unemployed).... You need to use a thing I call REFRAME IT, WHEN IT COMES TO A STRESS FUL SITUATION OR THOUGHT, TRY TO MAKE IT POSSITIVE. it needs lots of practice, but it works. go for stress management etc... focus on the good, (i.e. you can see, walk etc) Try to avoid CAFFIENE I find that it triggers the attack.Take the B vitamins complex and Vitamin C (in high dosages) + a good multi vitamin, doing so might help you to get off the medication.Be WellJBNJ
  • Anxiety would often cause a variety of physical symptoms, so seeing a psychiatrist for a conversation would be good.Many people praise cognitive behavioral therapy instead of taking any medications for anxiety.
    KnowSUMthings 153 Replies
    • January 21, 2009
    • 01:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sometimes "panic attacks" may be caused by a heart "condition" (usually not serious) called mitral valve prolapse. So the are not not necessarily caused by a psychological problem. I had such symptoms once, and mine were caused by gall bladder disease. Here's a good article you might look at: http://www.med.upenn.edu/ctsa/panic_symptoms.html
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • January 21, 2009
    • 05:02 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement