Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Adderall Withdrawl/Dependence:I cant continue but I cant stop

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 29 Replies
  • Posted By: stpeta17
  • March 27, 2007
  • 00:19 PM

Hello. I am a miserable 21 year old female. About 7 months ago I started taking Adderall XR 30mg tablets. I do NOT have a prescription. My friend had a months worth of the prescription, didn't like it and was going to throw it away but instead I insisted I would take it and not to waste it (i lied and said i had a prescription). I took half a pill a day and within two weeks was up to 60-80mg a day. I now have to buy off street dealers and I take it every day. I screwed up and started taking this daily and now Im dependent on it. It doesn't give me euphoric feelings anymore like it did at first. Instead I have insomnia, anxiety, constant chest pain, depression, headaches, auditory delusions, slight hallucinations, and the list goes on, but however I feel like I cant function without it. I cant do anything without it, get out of bed, go to work, even to the bathroom at times!! and etc. I want to stop. More importantly I need to stop. But the side effects of withdrawl make it seem impossible to stop, especially right now with my new job. During withdrawl, I become almost "retarded". I cannot think, very slow mentally, moody, irrational, and most importantly EXTREMELY fatigued. All I want to do is sleep, with the occasional get up to go to the bathroom and eat everything in the kitchen. How long do these symptoms last? I just started a new job in which I love, and is very active. There is NO way Im going to be able to do this job and quit the drug and be that fatigued and lethargic. I become so weak and regular bodily movement becomes overbearing. Overdosing on Coffee is not going to even come remotely close to helping. (i already drink a lot with the adderall) I cant miss work, I just started there and I love it. I do NOT have insurance and have no money. Im behind on all my bills and I wont be getting medical insurance from my work for two months. Is there anything to help the withdrawl symptoms? Also Im scared of gaining weight if I quit. The only thing adderall has truly helped me with was by getting me to my ideal weight to model. Im also worried I will get in trouble, I know its illegal to take medication not prescribed. I can NOT go on like this, but with the withdrawl, I cant stop either. I have read that tapering off the drug helps, but I dont think I have the willpower. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or even if you can only answer one of the few questions would be much obliged.

Reply Flag this Discussion

29 Replies:

• if you don't have insurance, most states require emergency rooms to see you and treat you initially or you can look up free services through the health department in your state or through a religious organization. Most agencies aren't in the best areas, but they offer services with minimal inforamtion.Catholic Charities used to have a data base of the places they supported.please get counceling not just because you have the dependence now but to determine why you felt you needed it. Addictive behavior isn't usually a 1 time thing. It can be food, sugar, caffeine, excercise, you name it... haven't you seen Oprah?Anyway,I am glad you are seeking help. I am sure you will get through this, but please don't put off getting to the root of the problem. I remembered 21 reading your post. Believe me.. you can get through worse and life is better after 40! By then you will know what you want and have what is needed to get it!It may help you to excercise, drink water and cleanse your body. Alot of these chemicals store in your fat cells. You take care and don't give up!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm going to tell you this to help you but I hope you can kick the adderall someday. I DO have a prescription for it, and I've given several friends the same advice in getting a script...But first I have to make it perfectly clear that I HATE taking this stuff, but I CAN NOT stop, it'll jeopardize my entire education and potential career, and would have wasted 10s of thousands of dollars on school if i become a vegetable again, like i did when I went off it the first time...But here's what you do:Go to a physician. Tell them you have trouble concentrating. They will most likely perform a physical, so try to set up an appointment a week or two after your last fix, and drink a lot of water that day, because they will do a urinalysis and they will suspect you may be just feeding a habit. What you can say is that a friend did give you adderall before, and it really helped you get you work done and you could concentrate. Explain that you have a new job and you really need to be focused to keep it...they'll usually buy that.MAXIMUM dosage should be 30mg, but it's smarter to do it at 20..it'll balance you out.chances are, you'll get strattera if a physician writes the prescription, so ask specifically for the adderall, and They will most likely refer you to a pharmacologist//psychiatrist, and you will have to consult with him/her about every couple months for refills. It's usually a 5-10 minute visit..nothing too bad.
  • I am not sure what adderal is but i can sure tell you about opiate withdrawal. It is the hardest thing I have ever went through in my life. I told myself thousands of times that i would not take them, but i got so bad thaat i couldnt function without them. It has been 7 days nowwithout and i am still miserable. No energy at all It takes every bit of my energy to talk. literally. I tapered off too. I still crave them, so I know what you are going through. I wish you the best.
  • I have a prescription but at one time my body kept getting used to the dosage, and it wouldn't work anymore, and we'd have to increase it, so I switched to some different meds for awhile, slowly taking less and less until i was off it, But for awhile a few days or a week i was extremely tired and sluggish, I would wake up got to school, come home sleep till dinner, eat and then go to bed. I would suggest you just get it over with, and maybe try decreasing how much you are taking like i did to help your body adjust. other stimulant things such as caffeine may help, although that isn't all that much better at least it is legal to be addicted to caffeine, lol. Good luck.
    qwertyuiop123 453 Replies Flag this Response
  • I was trying to remember exactly how i came off of it and i'm pretty sure i went down about 20 milligrams, waited a week, 20 less and so on or something like that
    qwertyuiop123 453 Replies Flag this Response
  • Try acupuncture, several sessions.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • If you are taking that much Adderall and having withdrawal symptoms, you are addicted to Amphetemines. People with ADHD who take much smaller doses do not need more and more. It is calming to them. Adderall is an Amphetemine like Speed or Meth. There are free or low cost drug treatment programs either outpatient or inpatient in every state. Look in your phone book in the Social services area for mental health or Drug and Alcohol treatment. This is nothing to be ashamed about, it is treatable. Buying drugs on the street and withdrawal are dangerous, you can get help and not have to live like this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 25, 2009
    • 04:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • this is so true. I think i must be depentant on it or something because i can barely function without it and ive lost most of my jobs. like two and a half years ago i accidently got high off of my adderall XR i dank a little and took a couple hits of my boyfriends blunt i really havent been the same since i cant remember anything. and i really cant think at all i heard its called being burned out when people get severe brain damage. I took it one more time back in october of 2008 and ever since ive been even worse because now im impulsive and sometimes i twich uncontrolably its really embarrassing. i think this drugs i very dangerous. be careful.
  • Hello. I am a miserable 21 year old female. About 7 months ago I started taking Adderall XR 30mg tablets. I do NOT have a prescription. My friend had a months worth of the prescription, didn't like it and was going to throw it away but instead I insisted I would take it and not to waste it (i lied and said i had a prescription). I took half a pill a day and within two weeks was up to 60-80mg a day. I now have to buy off street dealers and I take it every day. I screwed up and started taking this daily and now Im dependent on it. It doesn't give me euphoric feelings anymore like it did at first. Instead I have insomnia, anxiety, constant chest pain, depression, headaches, auditory delusions, slight hallucinations, and the list goes on, but however I feel like I cant function without it. I cant do anything without it, get out of bed, go to work, even to the bathroom at times!! and etc. I want to stop. More importantly I need to stop. But the side effects of withdrawl make it seem impossible to stop, especially right now with my new job. During withdrawl, I become almost "retarded". I cannot think, very slow mentally, moody, irrational, and most importantly EXTREMELY fatigued. All I want to do is sleep, with the occasional get up to go to the bathroom and eat everything in the kitchen. How long do these symptoms last? I just started a new job in which I love, and is very active. There is NO way Im going to be able to do this job and quit the drug and be that fatigued and lethargic. I become so weak and regular bodily movement becomes overbearing. Overdosing on Coffee is not going to even come remotely close to helping. (i already drink a lot with the adderall) I cant miss work, I just started there and I love it. I do NOT have insurance and have no money. Im behind on all my bills and I wont be getting medical insurance from my work for two months. Is there anything to help the withdrawl symptoms? Also Im scared of gaining weight if I quit. The only thing adderall has truly helped me with was by getting me to my ideal weight to model. Im also worried I will get in trouble, I know its illegal to take medication not prescribed. I can NOT go on like this, but with the withdrawl, I cant stop either. I have read that tapering off the drug helps, but I dont think I have the willpower. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or even if you can only answer one of the few questions would be much obliged. Adderall is time release methamphetamine, not something to play with as it gets you in bad trouble fast. It doesn't cause an opioid type accomodation. Take a week vacation and detox your body from this horrid stuff. It will take most of that time to start feeling human again after you stop. Now you know why meth is a popular illegal drug. It is one of the worst for getting people feeling that they "can't live without it". If you keep getting more and increasing the dose it will destroy your life and take everything you have. The longer you go without stopping the harder it gets to stop. It can cause violent mood swings. If you can't get off it yourself you will need an in patient detox program. Welcome to the wonderful world of addiction. A doctor might prescribe an antidepressant to help you avoid some of the worst effects of stopping. Another alternative is contact an NA (Narcotics Anonymous) group. They will have experienced people who can give you support while getting off, and afterwards. The longer you go the harder it gets and the deeper the crash. Don't worry about gaining weight. That is a dumb justification. You may not realize it yet but you are now fighting for your life. This drug can age 20 years in year. Meth addiciton is a fatal addiction. There are some vitamins that can help normalize your body after you quit. If you are interested, just ask. I'll answer. Good luck.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies Flag this Response
  • adderall is time release methamphetamine, not something to play with as it gets you in bad trouble fast. It doesn't cause an opioid type accomodation. Take a week vacation and detox your body from this horrid stuff. It will take most of that time to start feeling human again after you stop. Now you know why meth is a popular illegal drug. It is one of the worst for getting people feeling that they "can't live without it". If you keep getting more and increasing the dose it will destroy your life and take everything you have. The longer you go without stopping the harder it gets to stop. It can cause violent mood swings. If you can't get off it yourself you will need an in patient detox program. Welcome to the wonderful world of addiction. A doctor might prescribe an antidepressant to help you avoid some of the worst effects of stopping. Another alternative is contact an na (narcotics anonymous) group. They will have experienced people who can give you support while getting off, and afterwards. The longer you go the harder it gets and the deeper the crash. Don't worry about gaining weight. That is a dumb justification. You may not realize it yet but you are now fighting for your life. This drug can age 20 years in year. Meth addiciton is a fatal addiction. There are some vitamins that can help normalize your body after you quit. If you are interested, just ask. I'll answer. Good luck.please tell me what vitamins can be taken to help normalize after quitting? Thanks .. I am insisting my son quits and quits now .. He is getting paranoid beyond reasoning.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 28, 2009
    • 07:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • adderall is time release methamphetamine, not something to play with as it gets you in bad trouble fast. It doesn't cause an opioid type accomodation. Take a week vacation and detox your body from this horrid stuff. It will take most of that time to start feeling human again after you stop. Now you know why meth is a popular illegal drug. It is one of the worst for getting people feeling that they "can't live without it". If you keep getting more and increasing the dose it will destroy your life and take everything you have. The longer you go without stopping the harder it gets to stop. It can cause violent mood swings. If you can't get off it yourself you will need an in patient detox program. Welcome to the wonderful world of addiction. A doctor might prescribe an antidepressant to help you avoid some of the worst effects of stopping. Another alternative is contact an na (narcotics anonymous) group. They will have experienced people who can give you support while getting off, and afterwards. The longer you go the harder it gets and the deeper the crash. Don't worry about gaining weight. That is a dumb justification. You may not realize it yet but you are now fighting for your life. This drug can age 20 years in year. Meth addiciton is a fatal addiction. There are some vitamins that can help normalize your body after you quit. If you are interested, just ask. I'll answer. Good luck.please let me know the vitamins that will help normalize after you quit. I am insisting my son stops immediately .. He is getting paranoid beyond reasoning
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 28, 2009
    • 07:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• adderall is time release methamphetamine, not something to play with as it gets you in bad trouble fast. It doesn't cause an opioid type accomodation. Take a week vacation and detox your body from this horrid stuff. It will take most of that time to start feeling human again after you stop. Now you know why meth is a popular illegal drug. It is one of the worst for getting people feeling that they "can't live without it". If you keep getting more and increasing the dose it will destroy your life and take everything you have. The longer you go without stopping the harder it gets to stop. It can cause violent mood swings. If you can't get off it yourself you will need an in patient detox program. Welcome to the wonderful world of addiction. A doctor might prescribe an antidepressant to help you avoid some of the worst effects of stopping. Another alternative is contact an na (narcotics anonymous) group. They will have experienced people who can give you support while getting off, and afterwards. The longer you go the harder it gets and the deeper the crash. Don't worry about gaining weight. That is a dumb justification. You may not realize it yet but you are now fighting for your life. This drug can age 20 years in year. Meth addiciton is a fatal addiction. There are some vitamins that can help normalize your body after you quit. If you are interested, just ask. I'll answer. Good luck. i am interested in knowing which vitamins will help normalize the body? I am insisting my son stops immediately because he has become paranoid beyond reasoning .. Help!
    MOMSPAIN 1 Replies
    • August 28, 2009
    • 07:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i am interested in knowing which vitamins will help normalize the body? I am insisting my son stops immediately because he has become paranoid beyond reasoning .. Help! Hi Momspain. Brand is important here. Some vitamins are massively more effective than others. You can get all these at www.iherb.comThe prices and service are excellent. RED843 as a coupon code will get you $5 off your first order. Any proceeds from this I donate as vitamins to those unable to afford these vitamins. Jarrow Methylb12 5mgCountry Life Dibencozide (adenosylb12) 3mgSolgar methylfolate (Metafolin)Jarrow B-right b-complex twice a dayA & DVitamins C, E, and calcium/magnesium/zincOmega3 fish oilsPotassiumThese are the essential basics. After a month or two on these then we can talk about fine tuning what is being taklen
    Freddd 3,576 Replies
    • August 28, 2009
    • 09:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been taking adderall recreationally for about 7 years now. I definitely do not have ADD or ADHD. Aside from being a little on the lazy side, I always did well through high school, never had debilitating social issues or problems concentrating, etc. Anyway, my senior year of high school, a friend gave me one of those deep blue 10mg adderall tablets with which most of us are familiar. My life changed forever that day. Upon arriving at college several months later, the drug had become overwhelmingly available and affordable. I would buy as much as the ADD-labeled kids were willing to sell me, sometimes emptying my checking account knowing that I would not need food or entertainment until I ran out. I often find myself looking back and thinking that adderall helped me through college, but it actually just amplified my tendency to procrastinate to unbelievable extremes, and allowed my drunken antics to continue much further into the nights and following mornings than my body ever intended. My relationship with this drug over the past decade has been unhealthy at best, and suicidal at worst. And I still love it. I have gone periods of 6 months or more with no way to get it, and honestly, it never completely left my mind. "This would be so much easier if I could pop 20mg". "I could have been done this project at work 3 hours ago and done it twice as well if I just had some adderall." The effect this stimulant has on my mind, body, and psyche is the equivalent of trading a slingshot for a .357 magnum. But over the years, I have learned how to keep somewhat of an even keel, with or without it. I always look forward to the prospect of getting it, but have taught myself to deal without it by appreciating the things that are impossible to appreciate while on it. Eat food that tastes like food again instead of rubbery cardboard. Go to a movie theater without feeling like you're going to eviscerate the person next to you if you don't smoke a cigarette REALLY soon. Work out for more than 5 minutes without your blood pressure causing you to vomit. I guess my point is that maybe you are like me, and you can learn to have a somewhat benign romance with this double-edged sword of a stimulant, or maybe you really do have a problem. I say screw the sound medical advice. Play with your dosage. Try going cold turkey. Find SOMETHING that works for YOU. The only person that can get you out of this mental state of feeling dependent is you, so give yourself a fighting chance before you concede to what is probably the smarter choice. After all, adderall is proven to stifle creativity in most people. You may find your answers in an unlikely place.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 24, 2009
    • 00:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have ADD and I have been taking only 15 milligrams a day since high school and I was only taking 10 milligrams when i was first diagnosed at 6. that amount can be very dangerous and harmful to not only your body but also your mental status. you should go to the hospital and a rehab facility because that is the only way your going to be able to quit at this point. For people that have ADD, like me, Adderall is a calming drug that helps me focus and organize the thoughts in my mind. when i forget to take the medicine however, i dont experience any symptoms other than what it is like to actually have ADD. Go to the hospital, you need it, good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 1, 2009
    • 03:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Obviously taking amphetamines since age six didn't teach you how to use proper grammar and punctuation, so maybe you should think twice before you preach to someone about what they need to do in order to deal with a substance that you've been ingesting since you were a toddler.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2009
    • 04:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I started taking Adderall over a year ago. A low dosage, 10 mg's. I was astonished at my newfound ability to focus and really get things organized and finished. Before taking Adderall I feel like my thoughts were all over the place and my life disorganized.The bummer is now I have extreeme anxiety and can't stop Compusive Skin Picking. I'm scared to make any changes for fear that my mind will be slow, sluggish or crazy.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 31, 2009
    • 07:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I started taking Adderall over a year ago. A low dosage, 10 mg's. I was astonished at my newfound ability to focus and really get things organized and finished. Before taking Adderall I feel like my thoughts were all over the place and my life disorganized.The bummer is now I have extreeme anxiety and can't stop Compusive Skin Picking. I'm scared to make any changes for fear that my mind will be slow, sluggish or crazy.Chew gum and consider lowering your dosage to 5mg a few hours apart instead of 10mg all at once. The tables are scored and break in half easily. If you take Xr, empty half the beads into some applesauce if you don't want to chew them.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2010
    • 11:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was trying to remember exactly how i came off of it and i'm pretty sure i went down about 20 milligrams, waited a week, 20 less and so on or something like thatYou can't help her...she is an addict your not.two conversations, two different directions.-----------------------------------Look Honey... You need to get help from someone bigger better and stronger then you. tell them all about it... point blank. Tell them its nowor never... you need to be held prisoner and supervised for about 20 days or so. tell them that you are gona try and cheat. tell them about one of your past miracles that you were able to pull off with no one knowing...then tell them another. make sure they get the point. tell them that this is it you have right now to fix this.your probably screwed... thats how i feel too. get weed. your job is already gone you just dont know it yet.just to cheer ya up...6 months ago I was a bit stressed and was just getting over a flu... ran in to a sudden and very stressful moment.... long story short I suddenly thought i had a tape worm... thought i needed a antibiotic....went to hospital to the emergency room, turned out no tape worm... instead of antibiaotics i got a finger up my **s and a cat scan. my oh my.when u think your getting a grip on that stuff your not.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2010
    • 07:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Adderall is time release methamphetamine, not something to play with as it gets you in bad trouble fast. It doesn't cause an opioid type accomodation. Take a week vacation and detox your body from this horrid stuff. It will take most of that time to start feeling human again after you stop. Now you know why meth is a popular illegal drug. It is one of the worst for getting people feeling that they "can't live without it". If you keep getting more and increasing the dose it will destroy your life and take everything you have. The longer you go without stopping the harder it gets to stop. It can cause violent mood swings. If you can't get off it yourself you will need an in patient detox program. Welcome to the wonderful world of addiction. A doctor might prescribe an antidepressant to help you avoid some of the worst effects of stopping. Another alternative is contact an NA (Narcotics Anonymous) group. They will have experienced people who can give you support while getting off, and afterwards. The longer you go the harder it gets and the deeper the crash. Don't worry about gaining weight. That is a dumb justification. You may not realize it yet but you are now fighting for your life. This drug can age 20 years in year. Meth addiciton is a fatal addiction. There are some vitamins that can help normalize your body after you quit. If you are interested, just ask. I'll answer. Good luck. ADDERALL IS NOT TIME RELEASE METHAMPHETAMINE!...if she is taking ADDERALL XR it is, indeed, a time release capsul...BUT THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO METHAMPHETAMINE IN IT! Actually, about 72% is dexederdrine and leveled out with levoamphetamine. Oh god you are watching "Intervention" too much! If you are going to give people advice on percription amphetamines please do your homework. In fact, methamphetamine is illegal in most countries, however, you can get a theraputic dose perscribed to you in the US by the band name "DESOXYN". Many doctor's much prefer prescribing the less addictive ones such as dexedrine, adderall and Ritalin which though not a TRUE amphetamine, it is derived from the same...and in my opinion, just as potentially addictive. While prescription amphetamines can be extremely addictive, if taken as prescribed they can be incredibly beneficial....all this talk about "meth or methmouth" and other horror stories come from hardcore users of street methamphetamine, crystal and ice. I would think anti-depressants would do **** for helping an adderall addict, especially one that concerned about her weight..."hmmm I hate myself now cause I'm fat, some adderall woukl make me look and feel so much better!"
    skylong/silverscreen 3 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement