Discussions By Condition: Sleep disorders

Insomnia.. or anxiety?

Posted In: Sleep disorders 9 Replies
  • Posted By: sugaree401
  • March 26, 2007
  • 08:09 AM

I'm the new girl... here's my story....

I have been a "night person" for as long as i can remember. Now, with two children in middle school, a full-time stint as a college grad student, and an owner of a company, i no longer have the luxury of staying up all night. Yet, when my schedule tells me i must go to bed at a certain time in order to function in my AM duties, i still cannot sleep. I can happily stay awake untill five in the morning, then, when 7am rolls around, i'm a total b-word to everyone. My poor kids are scared of me!
I try to go to bed at ten or eleven with my husband, but i just lay there, tossing and turning untill two am, frustrated and grumpy and pissy. My mind will not shut off!!! I think about everything- from what we talked about at dinner, to probs with my hubby, to unresolved issues with people from years ago who are now long gone, to politics, to... you name it, and i've spent the night obsessively thinking about it.
I've tried the B-Mod suggestions of regulating times and rooms, i've tried sleeping pills, i've tried couting sheep, i've triend eliminating caffeine...
What can i do? i'm a cranky, nagging, uptight b-word to my family because of my consistant lack of sleep. Yet, i only feel as if i really function at my best in the late hours. How can i be productive during normal times, so i can shut my brain off when i crawl into bed?

does anyone else feel like their personality is defined by their "worst" representation? (i.e. sleep-deprived and irrationally irritiable?)

Cheryl

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• Insomnia is basically not being able to sleep because of having a lot on your mind. I'm not a doctor, but i'm pretty positive that insomnia is what you have been experiencing. Here are some other things you could try to help you get to sleep:-exercise during the day to release extra energy and tension from the day-take a warm bath -drink a glass of milk-read or write in a journal-listen to quiet, gentle musicHope that helped!!! :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Yes, anxiety could be part of your problem. I found out a year ago that the chronic fatigue I had suffered from for 15+ years was caused by sleep problems, primarily obstructive sleep apnea, in which my throat muscles relax as I sleep and my airway closes up. The treatment I'm using for that is a specialized air pump called a CPAP (Continuous Positive Air Pressure), which connects via a hose to a face mask that I wear when I sleep. The pressurized air holds my airway open so I can breathe normally.However, the CPAP alone wasn't enough to help me. I was also working with a psychiatrist on new medications for chronic depression (which I've had all my life). And when I told her that the CPAP wasn't helping me, and described my sleep patterns, she thought I might have a low degree of anxiety that was agitating me during sleep and causing me to keep waking up every 1-1/2 to 2 hours. That surprised me, because I've never thought of myself as an anxious person. And none of the dozens of doctors and psychotherapists I've seen during my life for the chronic fatigue and depression had ever suggested anxiety before.But my psychiatrist prescribed a low dose of a drug in the Valium/Librium family, taken at bedtime, and sure enough she was right. Once I started that anti-anxiety drug (and continued using the CPAP), I finally, for the first time in 15+ years, began having full nights of uninterrupted sleep. With that treatment, my health is steadily returning.So yes, anxiety is a possibility. Talk to your doctor or see a psychiatrist. You may have to push for a trial of an anti-anxiety drug -- as I said, none of my doctors until my current psychiatrist ever suggested it as a possibility.Good luck to you!!
    AmateurHistorian 74 Replies Flag this Response
  • sleep deprivation is a beautiful thing!!!! I'm at my best socially, and mentally (for some things) with only 1-6 hours sleep... it's 3:20am where I live and I have to be up at 7 to attend high school!!!! Ya! more toast and juice!
  • Two totally different solutions. Become a napper if possible. When I am off work, I revert to two long naps (4 hours each). Say 12-4 day and night...or try the valium type drugs. Temazepam, Triazolam etc. I've heard poor sleep described as "shutting the refrigerator door...and the light still being ON!" Hope this helps..Another night-owl.
  • im 17 and like that to?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 23, 2009
    • 09:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm the new girl... here's my story.... I have been a "night person" for as long as i can remember. Now, with two children in middle school, a full-time stint as a college grad student, and an owner of a company, i no longer have the luxury of staying up all night. Yet, when my schedule tells me i must go to bed at a certain time in order to function in my AM duties, i still cannot sleep. I can happily stay awake untill five in the morning, then, when 7am rolls around, i'm a total b-word to everyone. My poor kids are scared of me! I try to go to bed at ten or eleven with my husband, but i just lay there, tossing and turning untill two am, frustrated and grumpy and pissy. My mind will not shut off!!! I think about everything- from what we talked about at dinner, to probs with my hubby, to unresolved issues with people from years ago who are now long gone, to politics, to... you name it, and i've spent the night obsessively thinking about it. I've tried the B-Mod suggestions of regulating times and rooms, i've tried sleeping pills, i've tried couting sheep, i've triend eliminating caffeine... What can i do? i'm a cranky, nagging, uptight b-word to my family because of my consistant lack of sleep. Yet, i only feel as if i really function at my best in the late hours. How can i be productive during normal times, so i can shut my brain off when i crawl into bed? does anyone else feel like their personality is defined by their "worst" representation? (i.e. sleep-deprived and irrationally irritiable?) CherylHave you visited a psychiatric clinic? I think what you have is more on anxiety than a sleeping disorder..
    SofiaBT 3 Replies
    • January 16, 2010
    • 05:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I read your problem on interrupted sleeping in the forum in wrongdiagnosis website. I too, have the interrupted sleeping that causes me chronic fatigue. And I do not believe anxiety is the problem. What I believe is a particular muscle of the body is nearing fatigue during sleep that forces us to wake up so we can relieve that muscle. Sorry if my first question seems psychotic and mystical. First of all, there is something I want to ask. Is any of your middle finger leaning toward your index finger? I believe that there is another physical reason that makes us awake at night and it is not anxiety. The reason I asked you earlier if your middle finger is leaning towards your index finger is that because I noticed in my case that it is the one causing my chronic-fatigue problem. If you have your middle finger leaning towards your index finger, it may also be the possible cause. I will explain more details in my blog: http://fingermystery.blogspot.com/ I would just make it clear that I am not concerned with appearance nor a palmist. The physical problems I have are as it is.
    fingermystery 4 Replies
    • January 30, 2010
    • 03:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you visited a psychiatric clinic? I think what you have is more on anxiety than a sleeping disorder..Hi, I read your problem on difficulty in sleeping in the forum in wrongdiagnosis website. I assure you that you didn't need a psychiatrist and it is not anxiety. Rather, something physical, which is out of your control, is bothering you, you just haven't identified it yet.I too, have the interrupted sleeping that causes me chronic fatigue. And I do not believe anxiety is the problem. What I believe is a particular muscle of the body is nearing fatigue during sleep that forces us to wake up so we can relieve that muscle. Sorry if my first question seems weird. First of all, there is something I want to ask. Is any of your middle finger leaning toward your index finger? I believe that there is a physical reason that makes us awake at night. The reason I asked you earlier if your middle finger is leaning towards your index finger is that because I noticed in my case that it is the one causing my chronic-fatigue problem. If you have your middle finger leaning towards your index finger, it may also be the possible cause. I will explain more details in my blog: http://fingermystery.blogspot.com/ I would appreciate your reply.
    fingermystery 4 Replies
    • January 30, 2010
    • 08:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This may seem like an odd response but it provides an interesting perspective. My teacher in Humanities mentioned that some historians link a "nightowl's" behavior to even pre-civizilation eras...suggesting that your ancestors were either awake at night protecting their town, or hunting in the dark, and your nature to stay up late is a result of that. Either way, in my 23 years I have never been able to get out of bed without being crabby. BUT just in like everything else, practice makes perfect as they say. And I gently roll out of bed a couple minutes before my alarm goes off at 8:30. Everyday. I would suggest setting your alarm every single morning and getting up when you need to. Your body will quickly learn to simply wake up when you should without really begging it to. And..while you are adjusting wake up before everyone else maybe:)...grab a cup of coffee or hot tea and sign on to read the Yahoo news. Good luck. to both of us. and may we soon know how gorgeous the early morning can be.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2010
    • 09:28 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement