Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

Am I Anorexic?

Posted In: Mental conditions 90 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 14, 2006
  • 02:01 PM

hi
im 15 years of age
i weigh 55.2kilograms and i am 171cm tall, all my friends keep saying im too slim but i dont see it!
what should i do?

Reply Flag this Discussion

90 Replies:

• ohmiflippengosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ur soOoOoOoOoOoO not fat...Listen to ur bff's..They are ur friends for a reason!!! LISTEN TO ME!!!!! LISTEN TO UR FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ur friend anonymous
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 9, 2006
    • 06:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • anorexia isn't just about your weight, its also about your behavior and beliefs about your wieght. have a look at this website: http://www.aboutmh.com for more information.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 17, 2006
    • 08:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • anorexia isn't just about your weight, its also about your behavior and beliefs about your wieght. have a look at this website: http://www.aboutmh.com for more information.Thats what I was going to say.= fat people can be anorexic too. I used to go 2-3 days with out eating and most of the time was 136lbs. it was cuz' I screwed up my metabolism or whatever(did have some leg muscle though).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 17, 2006
    • 07:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thats what I was going to say.= fat people can be anorexic too. I used to go 2-3 days with out eating and most of the time was 136lbs. it was cuz' I screwed up my metabolism or whatever(did have some leg muscle though). Actually, "fat" people can not be anorexic. Anorexia requires a certain BMI, and if you are "fat" you don't reach that criteria, nor (most likely) do you have amennorhea. Without every single anorectic diagnostic criteria, the patient is ED-NOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified.) To the OP- Behaviour and mindset has a lot to do with this. Myself, I have a very low, anorexic BMI. Yet I do not consciously try to gain weight, nor do I have any sort of mental or physical body dysmorphia--ergo, I am not anorexic, just thin.
    eleven 55 Replies
    • December 14, 2006
    • 07:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • OMG ELEVEN, can we post a reply that is any dumber? Overweight people can be anorexic. So you are saying if someone is overweight, decides to starve thereselves and does not eat anything, so that way they will lose weight and become skinny that they will not be anorexic untill they are skinny and then once they become skinny they will be classified as being anorexic. Thats crap. Not to mention, the whole point that you threw in about your BMI being "of anorexic" standards or whatever you said really has no point in this, not to mention that was stupid to say.
    billyandsarah99 19 Replies
    • December 14, 2006
    • 09:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • OMG ELEVEN, can we post a reply that is any dumber? Overweight people can be anorexic. So you are saying if someone is overweight, decides to starve thereselves and does not eat anything, so that way they will lose weight and become skinny that they will not be anorexic untill they are skinny and then once they become skinny they will be classified as being anorexic. Thats crap. Not to mention, the whole point that you threw in about your BMI being "of anorexic" standards or whatever you said really has no point in this, not to mention that was stupid to say. Are you retarded? NO, overweight people CAN NOT under ANY circumstances be anorexic. They can have eating disorders that are not otherwise classified, but not anorexia. Maybe when you are out of high school you could try posting advice? I'm reporting you to the moderators, for flaming. This is the 3rd thread you have followed me to.
    eleven 55 Replies
    • December 15, 2006
    • 06:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Whoever 'Eleven' is: Maybe by your standards fat people cannot be anorexic. However anorexia is not just about your BMI. You even proved that because you have the right BMI to be anorexic however you are not. Therefore proving that it has mostly to do with behavior and disorderly eating. Their weight and BMI are of course a contributing factor but if you have all the other 'symptoms' shall we say, just because you are fat does not make you not anorexic. I know ladies who were 200 lbs+ and got all the way down to below their BMI by their anorexia. Are you honestly trying to convince me that when they were above their BMI and starving themselves thin they were not anorexic? You should maybe do some research and/or make it clear that it is YOUR opinion and may not be entirely true. I know that there is a ton of anorexics out there who are below their BMI and still starving themselves. I also know there are a lot of them who are above their BMI's, are starving themselves and have been diagnosed with anorexia nervosa. And I think it is good we can all contribute different facts and opinions.Oh some people may take it to offense that you would use the word retarded in that context.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 18, 2006
    • 09:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Whoever 'Eleven' is: Maybe by your standards fat people cannot be anorexic. However anorexia is not just about your BMI. You even proved that because you have the right BMI to be anorexic however you are not. Therefore proving that it has mostly to do with behavior and disorderly eating. Their weight and BMI are of course a contributing factor but if you have all the other 'symptoms' shall we say, just because you are fat does not make you not anorexic. I know ladies who were 200 lbs+ and got all the way down to below their BMI by their anorexia. Are you honestly trying to convince me that when they were above their BMI and starving themselves thin they were not anorexic? You should maybe do some research and/or make it clear that it is YOUR opinion and may not be entirely true. I know that there is a ton of anorexics out there who are below their BMI and still starving themselves. I also know there are a lot of them who are above their BMI's, are starving themselves and have been diagnosed with anorexia nervosa. And I think it is good we can all contribute different facts and opinions. Oh some people may take it to offense that you would use the word retarded in that context. According to the diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa in the DSM-IV, one must be a certain BMI. All other eating disorders (which are equally severe) disregard BMI. http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/diseasemanagement/psychiatry/eating/table1.htm Note in the above link to the criteria that in order to be anorexic, one must be 85% below ideal weight for height (usually measured by BMI) and develop amenorrhea. For ED-NOS (what it sounds like the OP has), the DSM-IV says: http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/diseasemanagement/psychiatry/eating/table3.htm Note "B." As for the "retarded" comment...you are absolutely right. >< And I apologize to anyone who takes offense; that was uncalled for of me.
    eleven 55 Replies
    • December 19, 2006
    • 01:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • UMMM... I was just reading all of these posts and would like to put my 2 cents in. To eleven I read all the links, and looked up a few of my own, and it does say how it is a significant loss of weight and your bmi has to also do with it. I know that is the "legal", or whatever you want to call it, defintion of anorexia. So can't argue with you there. I, however, think that all those who are having a hard time excepting eleven's posts, are valid in their thoughts also. I for one grew up with the understanding that if you did not want eat and are concerned about your weight, you were anorexic. I feel I learned this in school. I at one time did not eat for a long time, and lost a lot of weight. I considered myself anorexic at that point, even though my bmi was still at a normal level. Why can you not be anorexic, if you aren't eating and are worried about gaining weight, yet you aren't below your proper bmi? Like I said, I have seen the links, and it worries me to think that some people refuse to believe that just because a person is overweight, they aren't anorexic until a certain bmi. THEY ARE HEADED THAT WAY! I am with everyone else, it is not just a physical problem, but a mental one too. Also, isn't better to think you are or were anorexic and try to change your course to actually becoming "medically" anorexic.Why wait until you are at a certain point. Don't most people with it not want to change for fear of gaining weight? If you are able to catch youself, wouldn't that be better? If you have all but one of the symptoms of a cold, do you not get help for yourself? Or if you are to young to realize you have a cold, wouldn't your parents help you get better, before your illness turns into something far worse? Why would anorexia be any different? It is a disease, and it needs to be taken care of BEFORE you reaches the the point of rehab. Also aren't we all here to either be helped or help someone else. But has anyone really helped sunshine711? NO! So for you sunshine711, you are not by any means anorexic!!! You are at a perfect spot. Do you want another link? Here is a chart at what a healthy weight is. http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/body_weight/healthy_weight/chart.htmYour friends are most likely just jealous. I have a friend who everyone swore she was anorexic, she eats like a pig. I use to wish she would put on weight so I would feel better. Some people just have a better metabloism then others. I have a crappy metabloloism, and it was, I am sure, from that year I didn't eat. I also have health problems too because of my weight worries.I do want to say one last thing. I am not a doctor, but I strongly believe in all that I said. You may or may not agree with me, but all that really matters here is the question that sunshine711 asked. This was asked for a specific reason, some have helped but some are making it worse. I hope you all the best sunshine711. And I hope you have found an answer to your question, and I hope you are not totally confused by the bickering.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 20, 2006
    • 05:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I wrote the above post, and I have just realized I needed to add a bit more. sunshine711- you said that your friends are the ones telling you that you are too slim. Well, one thought that I had is that they may actually see something that others cannot see. Close friends and family notice a drop in weight and a difference in attitude, maybe even before you notice anything changing. I am not trying to say you are anorexic now, but I personally do not know you or your circumstances. So truthfully it is not really easy to tell you either way. Do you think your friends are actually worried that you are too skinny or are they just upset with themselves, thinking that they may weigh to much. Maybe talking to your friends about this will help you and them find an answer.And by the way eleven I also developed amenorhea, when I didn't eat, yet still didn't get below my bmi. To this day, I still do not get my periods, it's been 6 years now. Maybe it's something else, but it started that same year.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 20, 2006
    • 06:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey 'Eleven' I'm the unregistered commenter :) I read your links and so it would seem that you were right. I also agree with what the 2 cents person said though about if you are starving yourself you are surely headed that way. Maybe for that reason my opinion is the way it is. Well at least now I know that I myself am EdNos and not anorexic. And I think it was very nice of you to apoligize for the *****d comment :) I didn't mean to call you out on it, it was just a friendly warning. I used to say that quite often until I realized how wrong it was. ( I said it in a store not knowing that a mentally disabled person and their mother was right behind me) And that just ended it all!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 20, 2006
    • 06:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I agree with eleven. It seems like people actually want to become anorexic and claim to be so. However, like any other disease, anorexia has a certain criteria. You cannot be considered anorexic if you are a healthy weight, even if you do not eat healthy and are extremely worried with your weight. Before anyone opposes this, I want to say that ED-NOS is also very serious and dangerous. It is similar to anorexia, with the exception of the dangerously low weight.Don't say that a person at a healthy weight with the same habits as an anorexic person is also anorexic. It would be like saying that everyone with a tumor suffers from cancer; even though many tumors are not cancerous. It simply does not meet the criteria. You cannot just twist medical definitions so that it seems like what you say is correct.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 23, 2006
    • 02:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Medically speaking eleven and the previous unregistered are exactly right. Those with ed-nos(eating disorder not otherwise specified) may not meet ALL the criteria for anorexia. Ed-nos is not only similar to anorexia, with the exception of low weight. It is also that a person still has a regular menses. To me personally, ed-nos is to much of a general term. It fits too many different kinds of eating disorders, and few really understand what it means to be classified as having ed-nos. To most people, like those who posted, you have to be either anorexic or bulimic. Unfortunaly, that is not the case. No one is "twisting" medical definitions. They are simply saying what most people would say. If that is how they were taught, then that is how they understand it. Maybe those who are upset about people not knowing and understanding anorexia and ed-nos, should do something more then just get mad at those who do not understand.There are plenty of people out there who do not understand what the "medical" diagnosis really means. So educate those mis-understaning ones, without violent words, or your information will fall on deaf ears.Also, if you have a non-cancerous tumor, there is ALWAYS a certain amount of a chance that some could become cancerous. So, people with ed-nos may at some time become anorexic, they are possibly on the road to it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 23, 2006
    • 11:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have to agree with Eleven here. YOU ARE NOT CLASSED AS ANOREXIC IF YOU HAVE A BMI OVER 17.5.Its fact. Go to your doctor, tell him you don't eat for days end, tell him you restrict, tell him you are terrified of putting on weight and food itself.And unless your BMI is under 17.5 he will tell you that you are ED-NOS.Lord its simple.I am not saying that People who are ed-nos do not develop anorexia. But not eating for 3 days does not class you as anorexic.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2007
    • 07:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Can I be an anorexic ifI weigh 145 pounds and I am 5 foot 2? Also how long does it take to lose weight if you barely eat at all. About how long I mean!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2007
    • 02:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow! I can't believe how ignorant some people are! Eleven is right on!You absolutely CAN NOT be diagnosed as suffering from anorexia nervosa if you don't weigh 85% or less than what is ideal. You may be "headed in that direction" but this is black and white and if you don't meet ALL criteria you aren't anorexic. Therefore fat people are fat people, not anorexics. I know EDNOS can be very dangerous, but I wanted to address the people who were saying that normal or overweight people can be anorexic.It is like saying someone who just took their very first sip of beer is an alcoholic. They may have tried it, may have liked it, and may be on their way to becoming an alcoholic. But at this very minute, they are not an alcoholic.To the previous unregistered user who is 5'2 and 145- you are NOT anorexic. Anorexia, like alcoholism, is a mental disease, not a lifestyle choice. It is a horrible disease, and one of most misunderstood and least curable of all mental disorders. If you want to lose weight consult your doctor about a safe and healthy plan. Ask them to refer you to a nutritionist and even a trainer if you are so inclined.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 3, 2007
    • 07:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thats what I was going to say.= fat people can be anorexic too. I used to go 2-3 days with out eating and most of the time was 136lbs. it was cuz' I screwed up my metabolism or whatever(did have some leg muscle though).NO.wrong."fat" people can NOT be anorexic, they can have eating disorders but not anorexia..Anorexia has guidelines.15% underweight being one of themand loss of menstrual cycle.. which only happens when you are udnerweight.you also need a bmi at a certian point.that is why there is "ednos" eating disorder not otherwise specifed.that is if you have the behavoiurs of anorexia but do not fit the physical guidelines.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 11:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i didn't bother to read all the replies till after i posted the one above, so good to see some people in here know that fact.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 11:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hiim 15 years of agei weigh 55.2kilograms and i am 171cm tall, all my friends keep saying im too slim but i dont see it!what should i do?Sunshine, I am not really sure what your weight is as I am in US and am stupid if you don't tell me in pounds! lolAnyway honey, if you were anorexic, you would know it. I was at on point in my life. It is a very hard job. It is stressful too. You basically use up all your energy trying to figure out how you can avoid food. Especially at family gatherings. The fact that I am married and had my husband watching me like a hawk made it hard for me. It is a physical illness mad up of mostly psychological thinking. Do you think you are fat? Do you avoid foods? Are you embarrased of how you look? Do you think about avoiding food 90% of the day/ I would typically go 4 days with no food. But I would drink plenty of water and diet soda. On the 4th day, I would eat carrot sticks, some celery and maybe a small salad with no dressing. I had my system down. And I was good. If I had to eat in front of somebody, I would and if I could not spit it out, I would figure out what exercise to do to work that off. Oh, and I would also work out 6 days a week with weights. And as sick as this sounds, that was the happiest time of my life. And I know that it is because I am still "mentally" craving to become that thin again. I am 5'8 and was at 105 lbs. Recently in the last 8-9 months I have been having some funky illness going on. Dr's believe I have a tumor on my adrenal gland. I have gone up to 143 lbs!!!!!!!! I AM SO SIK about this! My hubby and friends say I look the best I have in years, weight wise. And I HATE it. I still do not eat alot, but I do eat a meal a day and cereal and fruit. I put on 5 lbs in 1 week. I am wearing a size 5 in junior clothes. I am 34 yrs old with 2 pregnancies but 1 child. I used to wear a large in kids clothes. I could go in my closet and pull anything out and feel comfortable. Now it takes me hours to find something to wear to the grocery store. Because of this illness I have , I am too sick to work out. But even though I am sick, I still sit here and think about my weight constintly! So, Sunshine, I guess what I am saying is Anorexia is a way of life. You breath it, sleep it and live it. You may just be blessed with being slim. Ask yourself if you have any of the same patterns that I have mentioned. Take care of yourself and i am alwyas here if you need more info or have any questions. Hugs 2 u !!!!!
    miserableMOE 52 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 05:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • okay its is a fact that be diagonosed by a doctor your BMI does have to be below healthy to have anorexia you have to weight 15% less than your ideal weight otherwise you have what is called ED-NOS which is where you are suffering all off the symptoms or most of the symptoms of anorexia but you cant be diagnosed as such. i started with ED-NOS and am on the verge of ana as we speak, i've done tons of research into it and know more about this than you ever will. like theres a gene that causes eating disorders and you can be predisposed to get an ED. dont believe me than email me and i will send you the articles. "Diagnostic GuidelinesFor a definite diagnosis, all the following are required: (a) Body weight is maintained at least 15% below that expected (either lost or never achieved), or Quetelet's body-mass index is 17.5 or less. Prepubertal patients may show failure to make the expected weight gain during the period of growth. (b) The weight loss is self-induced by avoidance of "fattening foods" and one or more of the following: self-induced vomiting; self-induced purging; excessive exercise; use of appetite suppressants and/or diuretics. (c) There is body-image distortion in the form of a specific psychopathology whereby a dread of fatness persists as an intrusive, overvalued idea and the patient imposes a low weight threshold on himself or herself. (d) A widespread endocrine disorder involving the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis is manifest in women as amenorrhoea and in men as a loss of sexual interest and potency. (An apparent exception is the persistence of vaginal bleeds in anorexic women who are receiving replacement hormonal therapy, most commonly taken as a contraceptive pill.) There may also be elevated levels of growth hormone, raised levels of cortisol, changes in the peripheral metabolism of the thyroid hormone, and abnormalities of insulin secretion. (e) If onset is prepubertal, the sequence of pubertal events is delayed or even arrested (growth ceases; in girls the breasts do not develop and there is a primary amenorrhoea; in boys the genitals remain juvenile). With recovery, puberty is often completed normally, but the menarche is late"
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 06:30 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement