Discussions By Condition: Allergies

Gross White Lumps Coming from Tonsils

Posted In: Allergies 5 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 17, 2007
  • 09:34 PM

Ok, ok. My GP once said that these "salty" tasting little white lumps were bits of food that had been trapped in throat tissue and then coated and released.

BUT I now wonder.

I recently learned that I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

I had a period of about three years (15-18) when these lumps were more prevalent than at other times. Once, a lump about the size of a dime, which had a distinct wave pattern to it, came out of my throat.

The lumps hide behind my tonsils and are very annoying until they are released. I should also mention that as a child, I was in the hospital so often for Strept and Ear infections that they knew me on a first-name basis.

Is there a chance that this is a connection of which the medical community is largely unaware? Have others experienced this?

Thanks...

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• Yes - I have them too and so does my brother (all our lives and we are both 40-something). I think they are called tonsil stones. They smell quite horrible. Seem to get them when I have a sore throat, will pop out one of these nasty smelling "stones" then my throat feels better. I seem to get them in cycles...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • My GP once said that these "salty" tasting little white lumps were bits of food that had been trapped in throat tissue and then coated and released.Your GP should not have said that. These are tonsilloliths (or tonsil stones) and the truth is that we don't know what causes them.You can read more here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsilloliths
    Notadoc 2 Replies
    • September 6, 2007
    • 04:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow tonsil stones :eek: I've never heard such a thing. You learn alot on these forums :)Samanthahttp://www.undiagnosedillness.org
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 18, 2009
    • 00:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't know if related to thyroid but these are usually called tonsil stones, tonsilloths or cavernous tonsil. If you lightly spray a water pik back there GENTLY and not on high, perhaps it will help remove them. I have read that it does in fact do that. Also when you rinse with mouthwash, lean head back and really shake it in the back of your throat. Try gargling with some warm salt water as well. Apparently Hashimotos and thyroid disorders can make allergies more troublesome - probably sinuses too. Have you tried taking Zyrtec or some other allergy med or seeing an allergist to inquire about this? Maybe worth doing. good luckHere is a link from another site where someone has these with the same disorder. Her ENT recommended getting a CT of her thyroid, maybe not a bad idea..Ok, ok. My GP once said that these "salty" tasting little white lumps were bits of food that had been trapped in throat tissue and then coated and released.BUT I now wonder.I recently learned that I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.I had a period of about three years (15-18) when these lumps were more prevalent than at other times. Once, a lump about the size of a dime, which had a distinct wave pattern to it, came out of my throat.The lumps hide behind my tonsils and are very annoying until they are released. I should also mention that as a child, I was in the hospital so often for Strept and Ear infections that they knew me on a first-name basis.Is there a chance that this is a connection of which the medical community is largely unaware? Have others experienced this?Thanks...
    rainsky 28 Replies
    • November 24, 2009
    • 08:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Oops I missed putting the link in http://www.healthboards.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-653408.html:D
    rainsky 28 Replies
    • November 24, 2009
    • 09:08 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement