Discussions By Condition: Endocrine conditions

Gross White Lumps Coming From Tonsils

Posted In: Endocrine conditions 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 17, 2007
  • 09:33 PM

Ok, ok. My GP once said that these "salty" tasting little white lumps were bits of food that had been trapped in throat tissue and then coated and released.

BUT I now wonder.

I recently learned that I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

I had a period of about three years (15-18) when these lumps were more prevalent than at other times. Once, a lump about the size of a dime, which had a distinct wave pattern to it, came out of my throat.

The lumps hide behind my tonsils and are very annoying until they are released. I should also mention that as a child, I was in the hospital so often for Strept and Ear infections that they knew me on a first-name basis.

Is there a chance that this is a connection of which the medical community is largely unaware? Have others experienced this?

Thanks...

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• I was constantly on the brink of death with various tonsillitis and sinus infections when I was a child. The worst was when I was eleven and spent 3 weeks delerious in Isolation. I was tired and sick my whole life and finally when I was well over forty I was diagnosed with low thyroid and B12 anemia. The reason I replied though, was not those things we have in common, it was the wavy whitish thing and the other bits that came out of my throat in the last few months. Whatever it's all about, we both had it. I haven't been told that I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I will ask my doctor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Ok, I have the same thing. Did you go to a Dr. and what did he tell you?Ok, ok. My GP once said that these "salty" tasting little white lumps were bits of food that had been trapped in throat tissue and then coated and released.BUT I now wonder.I recently learned that I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.I had a period of about three years (15-18) when these lumps were more prevalent than at other times. Once, a lump about the size of a dime, which had a distinct wave pattern to it, came out of my throat.The lumps hide behind my tonsils and are very annoying until they are released. I should also mention that as a child, I was in the hospital so often for Strept and Ear infections that they knew me on a first-name basis.Is there a chance that this is a connection of which the medical community is largely unaware? Have others experienced this?Thanks...
    Appgal 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • I get those too. The are yellowish white, and they smell disgusting. I've looked it up before and what I found is they are called tonsil stones And they are particles of food and stuff that get stuck in there. I seem to get a lot more of them when my sinuses are acting up (because of the nasal drainage). Type in "tonsil stones" in google and see what you find. Good luck!
    alliestar90 1 Replies
    • October 29, 2011
    • 00:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I went to an ENT and he removed my tonsils last month. I feel great now and think I should have had them removed years ago.
    Appgal 3 Replies
    • November 2, 2011
    • 03:22 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement