Discussions By Condition: Back conditions

a new vertebrae????????

Posted In: Back conditions 18 Replies
  • Posted By: janesbaby
  • March 12, 2007
  • 07:58 PM

I am new here so bare with me. My question is .... I was diagnosed with scoliosis when i was about 10 or so and my doctor told me that if i ever got pregnant i would be on bedrest or my back would snap. with my first pregnancy i was fine no back pain or anything with my second i had back pain from the first of my pregnancy and it still hurts to this day {but that is a whole other story} anyways after i had my second i had a lump sticking out of my back my ob sent me to a spine clinic and they did x'rays he told me that i had grew a new vertebrae he said that its pretty common. i had never heard of it before. no one i have ever talked to has heard of that happening. so if anyone has ever heard of that please let me know and also if you have an explanation of why that would happen it has been 7 years since this has happened and i am a little curious if anyone elce has ever heard of this thanks :confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

18 Replies:

• I dont think that this is possible certinly it aint common scoliosis can be a serious condition however espesially if it is progressive
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • thank you so much for your input on my post, i was wondering if anyone would reply. i still dont understand what elce it could be. its very frustrating. i really want to know what could cause this or what elce it could be. if there is any other advice please let me know. thank you so much!!! jay :confused:
    janesbaby 27 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi again jay i am also curious, do you have any radiology reports that you can post ,or other medical opinion that you can remember, other wise there is not much to go on, if i had a lump sticking out of my back i would really want to know what it was to.
  • they didnt give me anything but im sure they have them on file at the spine clinic. really the only thing they did was x'rays. i should call them and see if i can get a copy of the report. they would have to give me a copy right? i dont know to much about that stuff. if i can get it i will post it to see if you can understand it. its been a while ago since i had them done. it will be 7 years next month. you know another thing is that i was in a 4 wheeler accident when i was about 13 and when i went to the hospital they said i cracked a vertebrae but said nothing about a new one. and i went to a really good back doctor for a while and he never said anything about it eather, but he died while i was under his care so i stopped going to him {obviously} :). i used to go to a chiropracter and he told me that my spine was so bad it was almost in a S shape. but never said anything about a new vertebrae eather. i have had so many back problems i just dont understand how this would happen. i am having some other problems also. i think i may have MS but havent got tests done yet. hopefully soon. well thanks again for your input if you think of anything elce let me know. jay
  • Hi Jay sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your health. They should give you a copy of the x ray report, but being 7 years ago they may not have it anymore, still it would be helpful to know if the x ray showed anything ,did the chiropractor help at all, i have been to plenty of them some of them were good, others not so great. I also have a mild form of scoliosis, my chiropractor is helpful, but the scoliosis keeps coming back. Take care of yourself, peter.
  • someone told my mom not to take to a chiropracter because of how bad my spine was curved that it could break from the pressure on it, i only went maybe like 4 or 5 times to see him. all i know is that it hurt when he popped it! he said he had never seen anyone with such a bad curve in their spine. im sure there are worse cases out there, but that is what he said. maybe i should try to go back. my internist wants me to go to physical therapy but i have done that to and it didnt help eather. i need to do something cuz it is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!! i feel like im 100 years old, and i hate feeling like this. but anyways thanks for your help, and good luck too you jay:)
  • Hi jay how old were you when you were first diagnosed with scoliosis it sounds as though you have the more serious type of scoliosis that starts when you are young did they try you out with a brace i asked my chiro about this he said sometimes he is able to help with this other times chiro is a failure. Does one of your shoulders drop down on one side. Also with the new vertebra thing sometimes a vertebra can become misshappen could this be what the doctor meant?. Wishing you all the best:)
  • we first found out about my scoliosis when i was 10 or so cant really remember. im not sure if the vertebrae could be misshappen or not. when i first went to the doctor for the "extra vertebrae" i had a lump on my spine on my lower back thats why i went to the spine clinic the doctor told me that i had an extra vertebrae and that it was pretty common. it really freaked me out then and i didnt ask to many questions about it. i had just had my son and was a little depressed and kinda felt like a freak when he told me. so ever since then i have asked alot of people if they had ever heard of this and nobody ever has. this was way after i went to the chiropracter i used to go to the chiro when i was about 12 or so. i didnt get this "extra verebrae" until i was 24 so i dont know i am stumped. i never wore any braces except for a small lift in my shoe. im not sure about my shoulders being uneven but my hips are a little and my 1 leg is a little bit longer then the other one. {i probley sound like a circus freak :D just kiddin}thanks again for all your advice it really helps me out. best to you also. jay
  • Hi Jay, don't worry about sounding like a freak, i walk a little bit funny, and it freaks me out to walk when there are a lot of people around i broke my ankle years ago and it was not picked up at the time, an orthopedic surgeon removed the bone fragment, and repaired some ligaments later on, but i still cannot walk properly on it. Some doctors act like i have told them i have just been for a ride in a space ship when i tell them about my ankle:) . Do you know if you have a real or an apparent leg length difference ,a real LLD is when the bones are actually shorter on one side, and an apparent LLD is when the legs are uneven lengths because the pelvis has dropped down on one side. Real LLD is known to cause scoliosis, and apparent LLD is more likely to be a result of scoliosis. Do you still wear a heel lift? I know what you mean about Physical therapy, doctors and people i know seem to be continually trying to push me into it but it does not work for me, any way have a pain free day bye for now.
  • im not too sure what the leg size is from. i dont remember if they told me or not. when i was first diagnosed i remember the doctor had me bend over so he could see my spine and then he pushed on my hips and said that they were uneven but i dont remember what he said about it.the lift hurt my back and my leg so bad so i only wore it for a few days and then i refused to wear it. { it was only like 1/4th of an inch it wasnt to tall} i know he wanted to do back surgery, he wanted to cut off part of my hip bone and fuse it to my spine. my mom said she wouldent let them do it because she knew of a few people that had it done and it didnt work and caused more problems, and also the scar would been so bad {it is from the hair line on your neck all the way down to your butt and it is about an inch or so thick} she didnt want to take the risk of all the problems that it would have caused which im glad we didnt do the surgery. my mom passed away 5 years ago so i cant ask her any questions about and it drives me crazy!!!!!!!!!! i am so sorry to hear about your ankle hope it dosent get worse. i have also had problems with my ankles, i have never broken them but when i was younger and i ran the would buckle and twist so i have never been able to run. dont know why i have never had them checked or anything. well sorry everytime i post it is all about me, i feel kinda bad. if you ever need advice you can ask me. not to sure what i would know but its worth a try. thanks for all your help. well good luck with everything. jay- :)
  • Jay,have you considered acupuncture to help with your pain?DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• dom- no i havent, do you think that would help? i have a few reasons why my back may hurt but not sure which one it would be. im just confused about the "extra vertebrae" they say i have devoleped. when i found out about it i didnt know a whole lot about the spine and regenerating bone in a body {not sure if that is the right saying i should use :confused: } if that is even possiable? but the more i have asked around nobody had heard of such a thing so that is when i found this site so i could get other peoples insite. thanks for your advice maybe i will try that. jay
  • Jay, I do think acupuncture would really help you. You can find a practitioner by visiting www.acufinder.com and typing in your zip code or country of origin. I have treated many kinds of back pain, including disc herniation, degeneration, scoliosis, spinolithesis, and others. I would say 90% of patients have reported relief - that's pretty good odds! As for the extra vertebrae - don't rule out the fact that they might have counted wrong or misinterpreted your xrays...can you get copies? Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Ya im going to try to get the copies of the x'rays, but its been 7 years since i had them done so im not sure that they would have them or not. i will see about the acupuncture. i had it done to try to quit smoking, but it didnt work but maybe i will try it again.thanks for your advice- jay :)
  • Hi jay thanks for the concern about my ankle, i hope you can get your x-rays all right, you definitely need some more information to get a good idea of what your health problems are, doctors rarely seem to tell you enough, what ever you find out you can post it here, also if you find something that helps you like the acupuncture let us know how you go good luck, peter.
  • i just wanted to thank you guys for all of your support. i really appreciate it. i will let you know when i hear anything thanks again - jay :) :) :)
  • Hellow again Jay, i don't know if you are still following this thread, but i was reading the other day that it is not that uncommon for a person to be born with an extra vertebra, i probably should have thought of this at the time i read your first post.The extra vertebrae can sometimes cause back problems, if it is not properly formed, including a bump that forms on or near the spine.Hope you are well bye .
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 19, 2007
    • 05:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. Ive been reading the posts and have wondered myself what the spine clinic meant by a new or extra vertebra. Let me give you two possibilities of what it may be. First, they may have meant it was a hemi-vertebra. These can form before birth, and when present they tilt the spine that it above that segment., thus creating a scoliosis. Another possiblity is that they meant that you have a transitional vertebra, or in other words a "extra" vertebra in your spine, usually a L6. This also forms before birth. No vertebrae can just pop up later on in life. Hope this helps you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 4, 2007
    • 06:14 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement