Discussions By Condition: Allergies

systemic sporotrichosis?

Posted In: Allergies 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 4, 2007
  • 06:37 PM

I was originally diagnosed with contact dermatitis due to Alstroemeria exposure with the only cross over being Tulips (similar to exposure to poison ivy). As a floral designer, the dermatologists only suggestion was to try using gloves or find a new career. Symptoms increase with continued exposure to angioedema/uticaria(see DermNetNZ; alstroemeria and floral industry) with exposure reaction time reduced to 15minutes. After seeking input from an allergist, who compared my reaction to Wildfire fighters who's allergy to poison ivy and oak (while burning or cut and areosolized)that end up having to leave their positions. Stating that immunotherapy would only worsen symptoms, and only avoidance is the answer. My employer voluntarily stopped using alstroemeria and tulips in the building and after 3 mo I am stilll reacting to exposure to several rooms in the building...after a recent accidental exposure to tulip bulbs I noticed major denting on my fingernails, which led me discontiue all exposure. after a course of prednizone and all symptoms cleared I am still getting minor reactions after just walking through certain areas. Remembering another co-worker was diaganosed with sporotrichosis(after CDC investigation), I researched that condition as I am still being exposed to sphagnum moss in the greenhouse (hanging baskets). Could systemic sporotrichosis be the correct diagnosis? should I return to a dermatologist or an allergist? what tests should I request for a diagnosis?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement