Discussions By Condition: Repiratory conditions

Chronic Tonsilitis

Posted In: Repiratory conditions 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 6, 2006
  • 11:53 PM

I am new to this type of forum, so bear with me. I am 42 years old and have had severe throat pain for about six weeks or more one confirmed diagnosis of Strep Throat about 3 weeks ago. My tonsils are enlarged and blistered. I also have an enlarged gland below the left side of my jaw (it is really hard and not moveable). No fever. I am seeing an ENT on Wednesday. Is it typical to treat adults first before considering removal of tonsils. I have heard it is more difficult for adults. Anyone had experience with these symptoms. Thanks for your time. I am concerned. I had a thryoid ablation about a year ago and had these same symptoms last year and just thought it was thyroid related. Motrin is becoming a part of my daily diet and sometimes it doesn't even help. Thanks again. :)

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• I had chronic strep throat for about a year and when My family dr finally sent me to the ent he was dumbfounded as to why i have not seen a ENT dr. sooner. Two weeks after i saw this dr. he took my tonsil out and yes i was sore and Yes it Hurt like ***l but, I do not have sore throats anymore and feel so much better. Also the Dr. said he never seen tonsils as large as mine were if that gives you any clue as too how big mine were. :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Last year I was diagnosed with chronic tonsillitis. I was in and out of the doctor's office every few weeks. I was finally sent to an ENT after numerous unsuccessful medications and the ENT immediately declared that my tonsils had to go. I scheduled my tonsillectomy (and adenoidectomy) several months later. The doctor actually said my tonsils were larger than golf balls. And boy did it HURT. And the older you are, the longer it takes to heal (I'm 17 and it took me about a little over a month to be fully recovered). But it was the best thing that's ever happened to me- I sleep better, it's easier to swallow, and I don't have a constant sore throat. I even got perfect attendance at school. So, if at all possible- get those suckers taken out. :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement