Discussions By Condition: Urinary conditions

New Onset Foul urine in adult Female,No infect.

Posted In: Urinary conditions 217 Replies
  • Posted By: WaitsGA
  • February 28, 2007
  • 02:26 AM

I have experienced a new onset of a VERY strong BAD pungent odor for last few months. I am female, not pregnant, same sex partner for 20 years, Not on any new medications, no unusual foods or vitamins, no STD or UTI.
However, I was diagnosed w/ Interstitial Cystitis 1+ year ago. No flares recently.

I am not diabetic and do not have the weird genetic fish-odor condition.:eek:
I usually get UTI at the "drop of a hat" but they have always come with excuriating burning and stinging. I have none of these symptoms with this new rancid odor. It also doesn't matter how dilute my urine is or the time of day.

Please help---I am stumped.:confused:

Signed,
stinky pee-t.

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • Hi there, I too have experienced foul smelling urine, for over a year. Doctors do not appear to be duly concerned about it but, it is horrid. I have tried anti-biotics cut out the currys etc to no avial !! I do experience bouts of pain in the bladder but on having tests no infection present. very confusing and unpleasent.How you doing ?Sandy : )
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have IC as well, and I have this problem too, only it is intermittent, not continuous. It doesn't have an ammonia smell or sweet smell like what you usually hear of when it comes to urine smell. I kind of want to say it kind of smells like something fermented, or going through the process. How I came up with that, I don't know lol, but thats the best way i can describe it. :rolleyes:
    anne.katherine 10 Replies Flag this Response
  • I, too have an odor like yeast. Fermented would be the same thing. It just started a few days ago and nothing has changed in my life but this is making me nuts. I don't have any pain or frequency or anything just this godawful smell.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 25, 2007
    • 05:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same issue and a history of kidney stones....it seems to go away when I have my period, but comes right back afterwards.Very odd
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2007
    • 07:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 50 and going through menopause, and had this symptom when I did have a bad UTI that seemed to clear but acutally started going into my kidneys and I got very sick, about 5 years ago, when I barely had money enough to eat,let alone go to a dr. BUT I currently get it on and off once in awhile, with no UTI symptoms with it, no cloudiness. Cranberry extract capsules seem to help solve it as I take them just in case there might be something starting, but I think it might be garlic or vitamin related..! Foods can cause it, maybe more so when older? I had pizza and then there was the odor, then again a few days later right after having a salad with an intense garlic ranch dressing. But it's not every time I eat garlic. Also did not have enough fluids in conjunction with the odor, so maybe foods or something dietary + dehydration, which would intensify the effect? Just "food" for thought here...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 30, 2007
    • 07:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i was just searching for that symptom to make sure i wasn't crazy. It seems like i've had the same symptom for almost 6 or so months. At first i thought maybe i wasn't getting enough fluids, but i increased my water intake by almost double, and i've still got this awful rancid urine. at first it almost smelled like over cooked bacon or something.. ah that's gross, sorry guys, but i'm just trying to figure out what's wrong here. anyway, i hope we're all alright!:) - samantha
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 5, 2007
    • 02:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Same issue with me! Started a few months ago. Had a urinalysis done and came back with a UTI of E-Coli that came with NO symptoms (ie. burning, throbbing bladder, peeing razors, etc... that always had occurred in the past with a UTI) This urinalysis was sent out to a lab to 'grow' in a culture as opposed to the usual 'dip stick' instant read type of test. Although, the dip-stick test came out saying that my urine was high in nitrates (whatever that means - doc didn't explain the how or why, even though I asked repeatedly... *sheesh*.. so if anyone here could let me know about the nitrate thing it'd be greatly appreciated... :) )Anyway... I just got the antibiotic that's supposed to wipe out this particular strain of E-Coli (NOT the same strain that you get from ingesting tainted meat, etc.) This antibiotic is called CEFTIN. Pharmisist said it was a pretty 'big gun'. Unfortunately, I'm one of the lucky ones that ALWAYS gets a yeast infection when taking antibiotics, so they gave me a course of DIFLUCAN also.I start this med in the morning tomorrow, and truely hope that it wipes out this 'horrid STRONG kinda baked ham' stench that's been haunting me (not every urination, but certainly common enough times on a daily basis without rhyme or reason as to diet or anything else, otherwise... and ALWAYS the first pee in the morning.)Have any of you had a urine test that was 'grown out' in a culture? Or, even the 'high in nitrates' results of the dip stick type of urine test? If not... ask for it. If you have... did you get an antibiotic, and it didn't help or it did but the nasty smell continued?...or what?Hang in there....Rose
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 8, 2007
    • 04:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • OK... about the nitrate thing showing up in the 'dip stick' test AND the E-Coli issue in the urine causing strong odor that 'grew out' in the urine culture (although not describing the odor) is here: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/urine-testDon't know why I didn't think to net research it first before coming here... guess i'm way more tired than I thought... bleh) Anyways, it's all good.. hope it helps :) )Rose
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 8, 2007
    • 04:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Rose,I was wondering if after finishing the antibiotics, did the bad smell go away? I keep reading about other people with the same problem, but no one seems to have found a solution. I'm freaking out here!!!! Nothing hurts or feels weird or anything, but the smell is so awful and it makes me so uncomfortable all the time. Please let me know if anyone has found a solution to this.Thanks,V
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2008
    • 03:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same symptoms... pungent, stong, chemical smell... It's not strong-smelling urine... it's way worse. It lingers in the bathroom. The 1st time I noticed it, I thought it was some chemical smell that someone spilled on the floor. It's not a vaginal smell, nor is it caused by not drinking enough fluids, vitamins or asparagus. I don't know what it's from but it's been happening for the past few months. It burns my nose & eyes! I'm embarassed to go to the bathroom at work near other people for fear that they will notice. Hope someone finds a solution because my doctor just said to drink more water... not helping...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2008
    • 04:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow, I am going to see the Dr. today and wanted to look up this same problem of foul smelling urine. I have had it about a year now and have no health insurance so I decided to pay to see the Dr. myself since this is so awful. But I cant seem to find anyone who has had any luck with a cure. This is freaking me out. I do think I got it after having sex with this guy though cuz he kept going to the bathroom that was downstairs instead of the one in his room. Now I think I know why.... the smell lingers and it is nasty. I cant believe there isnt a diagnosis for this anywhere! If I do hopefully get rid of this, I'll be sure to let you all know how. You are not alone!
    jlelnlnli 1 Replies
    • February 6, 2008
    • 03:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Thank goodness I am not alone! I have only experienced one yeast infection in my life (14 years ago), one sex partner (my husband), two urinary tract infections in my life, no other health problems. This has me stumped! I work out quite a bit, drink plenty of water, am extremelly healthy, yet I have had this foul smelling urine (sometimes a sweet smell, sometimes a sour smell - mostly like sausage?) for almost a year! It does go away when I am on my period but then returns immediately. I am "greeted" by this foul smell almost every morning and throughout the day (although not everytime I urinate). UGH! There has to be an answer for this!
  • Hi,I can't believe we're all going thru this! My symtoms started about one and a half years ago. I'm 54 and have gone through menopause already and nolonger menstrate - but I have developed two strange odor symtoms. I have the foul unrine odor, along with a masculine body odor under my arms and in the groin area, especially when I sweat! I had urine tests done, bloodwork, the whole nine. All I can think of is it's menapause related... hormones I hope. I'd rather have it be hormonal than a disease or disfunction of the kidneys, bladder or liver. The odor arrived literally out of the blue with the masculine sweat smell. I've never had this before and never smelled bad or masculine before. That's why I feel it MUST be hormonal. Hormones are the only thing that has changed in my body over the past couple of years. I also relize that the strange odors occured when I stopped getting a period. Prior to that I never experienced anything like this. I'm going to try drinking cloraphil - they say that wipes out all body odor. I certainly hope so because this is embarrasing. I have to wash several times a day and my clothing reaks of urine after excersize. It seems to ooze out of me even without urinating. Awful. Good luck everyone.
  • hey guys...well I also have had the same problem as well...I moved within the past year and do not have a family doctor so I havent had it checked out...but I have had rancid smelling urine for about 6-10 months now...the best way I can descibe it is it smells like hotdog water...after you boil hotdogs...but very strong and pungent...sorry I know that sounds gross...but that is exactly what it smells like. I do not have any discomfort with this and I drink plenty of water, I havent really found much information..if anyone has found a solution please let me know.
  • I finally broke down and went to see my doctor today. He checked me for a kidney/bladder infection...nothing. He even checked me for diabetes...nothing. Last week I went for my yearly PAP and she said I was clean there as well. The first doctor said he is sending my urine off to be "cultured" - said that would tell us much more. I will fill you in when I get the results. SO weird!!!!
  • I have been searching on the Internet for over 6 months to find something that would help with this pungent smell in my urine. I do not have UTI symptoms and no urgency to go. But when I do go the smell lingers. It is a very strong sulfur smell and is usually worse in the a.m. I drink tons of water all day and even late into the night. Urine not only smells sometimes in the a.m. it is dark. (even after drinking water up until the time I fall asleep) I have to make time to go to my urologist to find out what the deal is, but was hopeful to find an answer on a thread here. Anyone have idea?
  • 22 y/o female. I have had the same symptoms. I have a burning sensation (to pee) periodically, yet after 2 days or so it goes away. I keep wanting to blame it on a UTI, but I don't know if that is the case. I have had this foul odor for a few months now. It smells like... it is going through fermentation as a women previously described, yet also like hotdog water. (I love the descriptions by the way, I have not been able to put my finger on the smell until reading this forum). If ANY of you go to the doctor and receive a diagnosis, please reply to this post. I just graduated from college and am no longer a beneficiary of my father, in other words, I do not have health insurance anymore. So if ANYONE finds anything out, please let me know.Thank you.
  • I've been having this same foul smelling urine for several months. Occassionally I've had burning while peeing and then bladder discomfort that goes away after a few hours. I went to a Naturopath last October because my gyno had no ideas. The naturo said my hormones were off and had no business being on birth control pills (I'm 48 with no signs at all of menopause) and put me on a supplement especially for hormones and within a couple of months (had been of the pill for about 4) had fewer and fewer episodes. (Also during this time my gyno had spoken with a pharmacist who had heard about cystitis-type symptoms with no UTI and was treating them with an estrogen type vaginal cream, I didn't want to go that route so I investigated online and read how a woman's vaginal ph can be affected with hormone fluctuations and I started using vaginal suppositories that are boric acid capsules. I only used them twice in a week after having burning symptoms and felt immediate relief.) Last few months I've had almost none of the discomfort but funky smelling pee about twice a week. Last weekend I've been practically immobilized with lower back pain, which my chiropractor says has nothing to do with my vertebrae but due to adrenal exhaustion. In researching online I've found a connection between adrenal exhaustion and DHEA. Since this lower back issue my pee has smelled EVERY SINGLE TIME I PEE AND STINKS SO BAD MY BOYFRIEND TURNS ON THE BATHROOM FAN. I'm starting to wonder if this whole smelly pee thing is hormonal. I haven't read about any men having it. Anybody else notice a corrolation with their menstrual cycle?-SS
  • ng on birth control pills (I'm 48 with no signs at all of menopause) and put me on a supplement especially for hormones and within a couple of months (had been of the pill for about 4) had fewer and fewer episodes. (Also during this time my gyno had spoken with a pharmacist who had heard about cystitis-type symptoms with no UTI and was treating them with an estrogen type vaginal cream, I didn't want to go that route so I investigated online and read how a woman's vaginal ph can be affected with hormone fluctuations and I started using vaginal suppositories that are boric acid capsules. I only used them twice in a week after having burning symptoms and felt immediate relief.) Last few months I've had almost none of the discomfort but funky smelling pee about twice atheir menstrual cycle?-SS
  • Hi sorry to tell you all.but i have had ofensive odor urine for 9yrs,went to my dr who told me it was normal and to live with it!,the smell is like a farmyard dirty hay,it happens whenever it wants,no specific times or food,Finslly today i had enough and went to my dr again(after my workmates phoned the plumber as they thought the smell was a blocked drain),She was nonplussed,hasent got a clue,no infection history at all,dip stick showed huge amount of nitrites,So she is going to chat with the uroligy surgeon (her husband).and let me know in a week or so!.Ill let you all know what she says.but looking on this site i feel i should ring her up and check for e coli.Over the 9 yrs my life has been awfull,constantly lookin for a toilet where noone knows me,cant pee at work,as when i do they call the plumber out!haha,Its been horendous, margy xx
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement