Discussions By Condition: Diabetes

What could affect fasting blood sugar test?

Posted In: Diabetes 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 22, 2007
  • 10:41 PM

My poor dad has been going back and forth to the doc's with various probs for the last few years but he keeps being told he is pre-diabetic as his fasting blood sugar tests at the hospital have been coming back at between 6 and 7.
Because of this he's gone on a low GI diet, etc, and has got a home glucose monitor to keep an eye on his blood sugar. However he always tests at around 4 if he does it himself and the follow up tests at the hospital have also been normal. He has no symptoms of diabetes but I know that prediabetes could be symptomless.

He is currently taking simvastatin, lisinorpil, ezetimibe and aspirin as he had heart attack 4 years ago. He is also on levothyroxine as he has an underactive thyroid. About a year ago my dad changed his statins as the one he was on caused a serious side effect. The doctor thought at the time that this side effect may have affected his test results. He also took he off beta blockers as his blood pressure is fine without it.

My question is could the drugs my dad takes affect the fasting blood test results as he has to take them during the fasting period. If not why would he get a normal reading in between the elevated readings.

I be very grateful for any advice as my dad's getting a bit worried.
Many thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement