Discussions By Condition: Diabetes

What could affect fasting blood sugar test?

Posted In: Diabetes 22 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 22, 2007
  • 10:41 PM

My poor dad has been going back and forth to the doc's with various probs for the last few years but he keeps being told he is pre-diabetic as his fasting blood sugar tests at the hospital have been coming back at between 6 and 7.
Because of this he's gone on a low GI diet, etc, and has got a home glucose monitor to keep an eye on his blood sugar. However he always tests at around 4 if he does it himself and the follow up tests at the hospital have also been normal. He has no symptoms of diabetes but I know that prediabetes could be symptomless.

He is currently taking simvastatin, lisinorpil, ezetimibe and aspirin as he had heart attack 4 years ago. He is also on levothyroxine as he has an underactive thyroid. About a year ago my dad changed his statins as the one he was on caused a serious side effect. The doctor thought at the time that this side effect may have affected his test results. He also took he off beta blockers as his blood pressure is fine without it.

My question is could the drugs my dad takes affect the fasting blood test results as he has to take them during the fasting period. If not why would he get a normal reading in between the elevated readings.

I be very grateful for any advice as my dad's getting a bit worried.
Many thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

22 Replies:

• I'm not familir with any diabetic testing that gives results in "single digits". All testing I'm familiar with, whether it's a "blood draw", or the "****k of a finger", etc., would result in a number somewhere from 80-120, if in the normal range. A result of 115-120 would be considered "pre-diabetic", although I think doctors use this to just warn people that they should watch thier diet a little. I worked on an acute medical ward for 20 years, and am diabetic myself, and really am stumped with the results you have given of 6,7 or 4. Are you sure this is correct?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2007
    • 03:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Here in Europe glocose in blood is measured in mmol and correct values and around 6.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Here in Europe glocose in blood is measured in mmol and correct values are around 6.
  • I talked to my doctor about this same thing and she explained it to me this way. On any given daily blood check there are many things that can affect it. Exercise, anxiety/stress, illness, etc. You can just happen to get a "normal" reading. When they do the other test of a fasting blood sugar, it's actually taking a 3 month average of your blood sugars so they can get a better idea on how you're doing. I'm not really sure how your dad is checking his blood sugar and able to do the same test as the lab. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it or it's different in the US. I hope I was able to help anyway.
  • Yeah, blood sugar can rise and fall depending on a variety of conditions. Usually if diabetes is suspected but not confirmed, a Fasting Glucose Tolerance Test is ordered. With this test, the patient has their blood drawn before and is then asked to consume a very sugary drink (i.e. glucose). Their blood sugar is then checked again every X hours (usually every hour for 3 hours but sometimes up to 6 hours or more). This lets doctors see how the body processes glucose. If there is impared processing, the blood sugar level will remain abnormally high after consuming the substance.
  • My fasting blood glucose levels have me as pre diabetic, however during the day my levels return to ideal.I am 58 years old, in the middle of the the BMI for my height and exercise regularly. I take 20mg simvasten after my evening meal.Why is my blood glucose higher first thing in the morning than 2 hours after breakfast?Could it be associated with hydration?
  • New to this forum...Hi everyone!Have a blood draw in the a.m formy A1c and of course, will befasting for that. What if I have a lowblood sugar reading in the a.m.before I go for the blood draw? I amon Lantus. (14 U once daily) Should I take less before bed tonight? Don't want topass out on my drive to LabCorp for theblood draw!! Thanks for any input on this!Peace
    jeanovan 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hey JeanA1c isn't a fasting test, it measures the past, not the present!
  • Everything can affect blood sugar levels!! I don’t have any type of diabetes at this point but I watch closely. My sugar is also higher in the morning than before bed and all day. If I need to get a sugar test I wait until about 11 am. Then I’m below 95. First thing in the morning I’m 103 or so. If I’m sick and taking cold medicine it can be 115. Cinnamon is my morning addition to my coffee, it really seems to help. Ginseng is also supposed to be good. WalMart sells a liquid called Cinnergen that has cinnamon, ginseng and other stuff. You drink one ounce a day. It is about $15.00 for a big bottle. I also find a glass of red wine in the evening will make mine lower in the am. WARNING – be careful about getting tested. I had a hard time getting individual health insurance because my doctor wrote diabetes in my record. He retracted it with a letter but if I ever want to be tested for sugar (A1C or FGP) I go to Any Lab Test lab which will give me the results only. No doctor needed. They test all kinds of things and most tests are $30 to $80. I won’t let a doctor take a sugar blood test on me anymore. Doctors almost ruined my chances of getting individual health insurance. Diabetes is the kiss of death if you are looking for individual insurance…with group plans they have to take you.
    erineb 7 Replies Flag this Response
  • Everything can affect blood sugar levels!! I don’t have any type of diabetes at this point but I watch closely. My sugar is also higher in the morning than before bed and all day. If I need to get a sugar test I wait until about 11 am. Then I’m below 95. First thing in the morning I’m 103 or so. If I’m sick and taking cold medicine it can be 115. Cinnamon is my morning addition to my coffee, it really seems to help. Ginseng is also supposed to be good. WalMart sells a liquid called Cinnergen that has cinnamon, ginseng and other stuff. You drink one ounce a day. It is about $15.00 for a big bottle. I also find a glass of red wine in the evening will make mine lower in the am. WARNING – be careful about getting tested. I had a hard time getting individual health insurance because my doctor wrote diabetes in my record. He retracted it with a letter but if I ever want to be tested for sugar (A1C or FGP) I go to Any Lab Test lab which will give me the results only. No doctor needed. They test all kinds of things and most tests are $30 to $80. I won’t let a doctor take a sugar blood test on me anymore. Doctors almost ruined my chances of getting individual health insurance. Diabetes is the kiss of death if you are looking for individual insurance…with group plans they have to take you.
    erineb 7 Replies Flag this Response
  • My fasting blood glucose levels have me as pre diabetic, however during the day my levels return to ideal.I am 58 years old, in the middle of the the BMI for my height and exercise regularly. I take 20mg simvasten after my evening meal.Why is my blood glucose higher first thing in the morning than 2 hours after breakfast?Could it be associated with hydration?My doctor has explained that many people have higher readings in the am, as they have been so long without food. Yes, food does make blood glucose levels go up, but so does waiting too long to eat. Diabetics need to have regular meals to keep glucose levels in control, so if you eat dinner at 6 pm and don't eat anything until 8 am, your blood glucose readings could be high.Just to let everyone know that in Canada, normal blood glucose readings are between 4 and 6.5. Anything higher is considered to indicate prediabetic. This is much different than the way the US reads blood glucose. If you wish more information on Canadian blood glucose readings, Google the Canadian Diabetic Association.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2007
    • 02:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• My poor dad has been going back and forth to the doc's with various probs for the last few years but he keeps being told he is pre-diabetic as his fasting blood sugar tests at the hospital have been coming back at between 6 and 7. Because of this he's gone on a low GI diet, etc, and has got a home glucose monitor to keep an eye on his blood sugar. However he always tests at around 4 if he does it himself and the follow up tests at the hospital have also been normal. He has no symptoms of diabetes but I know that prediabetes could be symptomless. He is currently taking simvastatin, lisinorpil, ezetimibe and aspirin as he had heart attack 4 years ago. He is also on levothyroxine as he has an underactive thyroid. About a year ago my dad changed his statins as the one he was on caused a serious side effect. The doctor thought at the time that this side effect may have affected his test results. He also took he off beta blockers as his blood pressure is fine without it.My question is could the drugs my dad takes affect the fasting blood test results as he has to take them during the fasting period. If not why would he get a normal reading in between the elevated readings.I be very grateful for any advice as my dad's getting a bit worried.Many thanksYeah--blood glucose tests usually require a 12 hour fast. The food you ate would certainly affect your blood sugar...and then the test would be incorrect. Saliva as a diagnostic tool in type II diabetes mellitus
    davidlee 9 Replies
    • January 23, 2008
    • 07:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • There seems to be some confusion about diabetes and blood testing on this site. I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. My numbers on the A1C fasting test were borderline and under 7, so diet and exercise were first recommended by my doctor. He did give me a prescription to take a 3 week outpatient diabetes course at my local hospital which I strongly suggest to anyone recently diagnosed. We even had a few people in the class who have been living with diabetes for years. One thing I did learn, is that this is a serious disease that should not be taken lightly. It can kill you.They did suggest taking your blood monitoring tests at different times if you only test once per day: before eating in the morning, 1 hour after eating and 2 hours after eating (breakfast, lunch and dinner). These numbers should be kept in a log, noting the reading and the time you took it.A website that has the most accurate information is www.diabetes.org. That is where you should go with questions.
  • When you waited until 'later" in the morning to test your blood sugar, had you eaten anything by then or were you still fasting?I got the pre-diabetes diagnosis December 1st. Am slightly overweight but have lost 10 pounds as they put me on a 1200 calorie diet. The strange thing is I am having consistently 100-105 every morning now as opposed only occasionally having it over 100 4 weeks ago. The rest of the time is in the very normal range. Any advice would be helpful as I would like to tell my doctor to look "elsewhere".
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 20, 2009
    • 02:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Does exercise or sex before testing my blood sugar in the morning raise my reading?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 28, 2009
    • 05:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • must have been talking about the A1C....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2009
    • 03:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • my GP here in the UK just ran a series of bloods on me and every test came back fine except my blood sugar level came back at 7, evedently here in the UK they use different scale of measuring from the USA, where I am originally from. The night before these bloods were drawn I had eaten my ussual meal at around 7pm and then had nothing else for the night except a cuppa tea before bed. That morning was hectic so nothing was ingested before the appointment. I know they say 7 is borderline, so I am hopeful it was my cup of tea before bed affecting the test as I take 2 sugars and milk in my tea. I do worry some tho as the last year or so I have "craved" a chocolate bar in the weee hours of the morning, which for me is very unussual as I rarely if ever have or like to have chocolate. I wonder if its my body trying to get sugar somehow? They have me scheduled for a fasting blood test, I will fast the night before and morning have the bloods drawn ect, if they show high then they will send me for the 2 hour glucose test where they monitor the glucose the give me ect. I hope its just a wrong reading as I saw the changes to life and diet for diabetics and it will play havock on more than one thing for me.
  • My fasting blood glucose levels have me as pre diabetic, however during the day my levels return to ideal.I am 58 years old, in the middle of the the BMI for my height and exercise regularly. I take 20mg simvasten after my evening meal.Why is my blood glucose higher first thing in the morning than 2 hours after breakfast?Could it be associated with hydration?Dawn phenomenon (see below):http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dawn-effect/AN01213
  • hey I dont know if you guys can help me but ill give it a go as im completely confused....im 31 weeks pregnant and last friday week i had a gtt done in the maternity hospital....my results were as follows....fasting bs 5.2 2hour test after 3 cups of lucozade 4.2....they thought maybe the bloods got mixed up so they repeated the test this friday and my results were as follows...fasting bs 5.3 2 hour test after 3 cups of lucozade 4.5....now they want me to go to the gestational diabetes clinic.....but surely if i had gd my 2 hour bloods would be high.....i dont know im completely confused and the hospital seem none the wiser to be honest.......
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 25, 2010
    • 00:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • People tend to eat less when theyre sick, so Im not surprised that your blood sugar levels decreased. You probably only ate certain foods during this time, too. Maybe you were a little more cautious or restirctive of what you ate. Do you think that your medicine had anything to do with that? How much liquid did you drink?
    Febriesemex 2 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement