Discussions By Condition: Leg conditions

foot pain and strange sensations

Posted In: Leg conditions 64 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 3, 2006
  • 00:52 AM

I have been experienceing pain in the bottom of my feet when I first get up on them in the morning as well as after being off them for a period of time. I also from time to time experience a weird itch deep within my big toe. Any ideas as to what can be causesing these symtoms would be greatly appreaciated.:confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

64 Replies:

• Dear 4HIM,If you are experiencing pain in the bottom of your foot or feet when you first get up in the morning and pain after being off of them for awhile and then standing it may have to do with your achilles tendon. I would say depending on what part of the foot is bothering you really. But, if it is back by the heel part it may have to even deal with a heel spur which is pretty common on the bottom of the foot back by the heel. As far as the itching part, I really do not know what that may be. Hope this helps.:)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I also have a itcing sensation on my big toe on my left foot. Mine also starts when I relax and I am off my feet for awhile it itches from the inside out, I have no sign of a rash. please stop my itch.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 29, 2006
    • 00:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been trying and trying to get resolution for this - I have no explanation and have seen a radiologist for xray, determatologist, podiatrist (three times), reg doc, and neurologist(?) for MRI. I have even tried accupuncture. No one can figure this out. I too, have a deep deep itch, bottom of left foot, between my big toe and second toe in the ball of foot area. An itch that can not be relieved - the kind that drives you to the brink of madness. Since I usually bend my nails back trying to releive it, I have resorted to using a fork, which has lead to my splitting the bottom of my foot open a couple times. Occasionally, there is mild pain, but the itch is the main problem. Doctors have tried a variety of treatments, including capsasin, injection of cortesoine, and other topical treatments, and nothing has worked. I did experience relief after the cortesoine injection for about 1 hour, but shortly after that it began itching again. I have resorted to my own research, but as soon as you enter "itch" you get popped over to the "athletes foot" section, and that is NOT what this is. I have provided my home email address because this is the first time I have even seen a post from two people that appear to have a similar issue to mine. Please! If anyone knows what this is, please help us!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 22, 2007
    • 04:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • There are several boards and people out there with the same condition. No one seems to have any answers as to what this is. However, one poster did say that above all else he got relief from hemorroid (sp?) cream.
  • I too have the same problem on the left foot...the only satisfaction is to itch it until the pain from the scratching outweighs the itching sensation. My wife has had it too so it doesn't seem to be uncommon but the fact that the source is a mystery is surprising. We need someone to study this.
  • ME TOO! I've never met anyone else with this symptom. I have had it for years and, thankfully, it is intermittant, not constant. The problem is in the ball of my right foot. When it itches, I usually just grind it into the carpet or on the ridges between tiles on the bathroom floor. I've wondered for so long what causes it. Since I am borderline diabetic and approaching 60, I decided a few years ago that I'd better take special care of my feet and I do. I scrub them in the shower and clean them with soap and water and try to remove dead skin and use various foot creams. My feet are in pretty good shape. I have some callouses but no athletes foot. Diabetic neuropathy is always described as burning, tingling or numbness, so I don't think it is that. It just itches!!
  • Yes, I too have this. I scratched 'til I caused a blister, went to the doctors lab and took a specimin, and nothing showed up.
  • Ok, so I'm NOT the only one. I fell better, but this past week has been nuts...want to get out a brillo pad and scratch that itch! Mine is left foot, between sole and big toe. I've tried changing soap/fabric softener, bath soap, etc. I wear a variety of shoe/heel heights, so I don't know if I've worn a pair of heels that are too high and it stretched the muscle. Most of my shoes are leather, a couple are fabric and I think a couple have vinyl linings on bottom. Usually worse in the evening/night than during the day. Will have to do an experiment and try innersoles in all shoes and see if the vinyl is what's bothering it.
  • Me Too! It's definitely a huge problem for me this past week, although I've had it flare up for years... at least 10. And I'm 61. I'm going to keep a notebook of my foot concerns from now on to try and figure out the time of year it starts, what meds I'm on, and what else is going on in my life... stress?Keep this going... B
  • I have had severe deep foot itch in my foor and in the palm of my hands. My doctor prescribed me a anitdepresent call Doxepin. I would itch for hours. It felt like a mesiquito bite but deep under my skin. The itch would occur onthe side of my little toe around the sides and in the middle of my feet. This medication is used for depression but it is prescribled for this because its side effects to help with itching. Unfortuanaly I have to stop taking the drug because of I am easily effected by the other effects. Butit works for severe deep itch-Drema
  • DRIVES MR CRAZY!!!! Mine starts all of the sudden without warning. For some reason I feel its related to stress. I wish someone had an answer or cure.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• thank god I'm not alone,,,,,,,,,I'm 31 years old have this uncontrollable prickly itching in my feet to the point of insanity. I have had this several times now and it's unBEARable. Just woke up from only one hour of sleep due to my feet driving be crazy. Kept me up all night. They feel like they are itching from the inside out. I have made them red and swollen from digging at them and starting to get carpet burn from dragging them across the carpet to try to get relief. I have no rash no fungus and have perfectly good hygiene.
  • Dear All,I too have been experiencing this maddening "itch deep within" my big toe for the past two days. I noticed recently that the itch is actually more like a burning pain that comes on all of a sudden, and that at times, I can feel a sort of tingly burning sensation traveling down my leg from the knee region at the same time...this set me to thinking that the cause could be something related to circulation or nerves. So I did some internet research. I think this strange condition that we're all experiencing could possibly be what's called peripheral neuropathy. It's a condition caused by NERVE DAMAGE, and its onset can occur for a variety of reasons (including diabetes and vitamin deficiency). It affects both the feet and the hands. It starts out with deep inner itching or burning or sharp pain, but eventually, if left untreated, it can lead to numbness and loss of function. Here's a link to an informative article:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peripheral-neuropathy/BN00046Anyway, I am not officially diabetic, but many in my family are, and my blood sugar is probably way too high, and I'm sure that my diet doesn't give me all of the vitamins I need (I'm a terrible junkfood junkie!)...but since nerve damage apparently can be caused by high blood sugar or vitamin deficiency, I'm thinking that a change in diet could improve or hopefully remove this terrible "inner itch" symptom. Meanwhile, for more immediate relief, I've been elevating the leg and foot in question and massaging my knee. This doesn't completely get rid of the sensation, but I find that it's more bearable this way.
  • My left foot itches like crazy on the ball of the foot. I end up rubbing it on whatever I can find. I wonder if I am doing tissue damage when I rub so hard to scratch the itch. I am in my early 60's and also have restless leg syndrome. I am not diabetic but wonder if this discomfort could be tied to neuropathy? I have tried cortisone cream and athletes foot creme but they really don't do much at all. Wonder if a Podiatrist can help? Patti
    pattitwirler 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I just woke up because my right foot itches like crazy. It doesnt happen all the time but when it does it drives me insane. Glad to see i'm not alone here. I am a type 2 diabetic but i just checked my sugar and it is fine. I wish i knew what the ***l the itch was due to. i can't sleep and it's worrying my wife.
  • I'm a 1st time user on this site. Can't believe I found the exact same symptoms of pain of the palmar surface of the foot on getting up in the am and then after being off my feet as well. Thought it very strange as you would think it would tend to occur from being on your feet. I do not experience the itching however. Would love to know what you have discovered about this problem. For me it has just started and I have no clue what is causing this. Anyone, Please Help!:eek:
    KITTYMORG 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had the same itch, left foot.... and found relief. I began to have a little knee swelling and went to get it checked out. I found that I had fluid build up and it was pressing on a nerve which caused the unbearable itching, which everyone thought I was nuts. I would take my shoes off in public to rub it on carpet to try to get it to stop. When the itching begins I know that the fluid it building back up. I hope this helps with some of you....I too know the this horrible sensation.
  • Thanks Guys, I though I was the only insane person. This is really confusing. I have many shoes, socks, and bare. My pain seemed to get worst this week I had a accident, and have been taken Loratad, but also had a lot of bed time. Only to think exerise may be a major thing. Just weighing all oppt. It's the left foot on the ball mostly, but i could feel a pressure point there that was painful
    webby1 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I also have a severe itch on the bottom of my foot. It's very centralized and it forms a solid red circle if pushed on. The itch is below the skin (inside) the foot. I have been wondering if it is a long lost plantars wart reemerging. I had a plantars wart way back in the late 70s or so and had it removed twice. I am wondering whether itching is ever invloved with their reemergence. It is bothering me and I have been using anti fungul cream. I'm ready to go to someone about it, but may use wart remover also.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 12, 2007
    • 04:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Itching is my middle name....however it's not on the ball of my foot...it's the first knuckles of my pointer finger on each hand. It's like it's underneath with no rash, but it does get red and sore from the scratching I have to do. Anti itch creams don't have, because it's under the skin. So far I've found no relief. I have arthritis and wondered if that has something to do with it. I'm glad to know there are others that have pretty much the same thing. (I'm not glad you're suffering) I looked on Google and one of the sites came up as 'psoritic arthritis' ( spelling?)...I don't have that after reading symptoms, but my knuckles are so sore. Seems ridiculous, but it's not. I wish somebody could help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 14, 2007
    • 07:18 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement