Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

HPV questions, please answer

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 10 Replies
  • Posted By: kamsae
  • February 21, 2007
  • 04:41 PM

I had an abnormal pap smear, followed by a colposcopy and biopsy. the doctor wont tell me anything until my appointment on friday, but they did say i have HPV. (the non-wart kind- high risk for cancer). im very scared- please answer the following questions:

1. since is spread from skin contact- can my kids get it from bathing
with me?

2. if a man has a wart causing strain- can he only give the woman
the same kind, or can it change to the cancer kind after her infection?

3. can a person have more than one strain of HPV at the same time?

4. Can the new HPV vaccine help (at all)- if you are already infected?

5. Can my kids get it from me through any other things like sharing
bath towels, toilets, washing our clothes together, etc?

6. I was scheduled for surgery to diagnose and treat endometriosis,
but it was cancelled when the pap was abnormal. Could HPV interfere
in any way with the surgery? Cause problems with Endometriosis?

Please answer as much as you can, Im having some pretty bad emotional and anxiety problems, especially since the doctor wont talk to me until i go into his office on friday, hes really vague in answers anyhow. thank you.

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

• don't let him be vague with this......have your questions written down beforehand......and see that you get answers to them.....just don't get up from your chair if he says we'll make an appt in a month etc.....you say wait, I have another question to ask you.....and go on from there with your questionsI work for a doctor and he is use to that and WANTS the patient to tell him everything.....he says sometimes they don't until he is about out the door.....THEN they just happen to make a remark......he is there to treat you and can't if you don't tell him everything you feel....YOU deserve his answers.....Good Luck
    agypsygrl 79 Replies
    • February 21, 2007
    • 05:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Try rxlist.com, type in the name of the drug and you get all the info you need. Since not all of us know doctor-speak, the patient information booklet is available just to the right of the icon to search for the doctor's information. I'll check for u so that you can put these questions to rest in your mind....brb
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2007
    • 04:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • OK, here goes nothin:I'll post the links to where you can find more info r1. since is spread from skin contact- can my kids get it from bathing with me?http://doctor.medscape.com/viewarticle/483621_4http://www.health-science-report.com/alotek/topics1/article51 3. can a person have more than one strain of HPV at the same time? ...It is estimated that approximately 20% to 30% of HPV-infected women harbor multiple HPV types...http://arpa.allenpress.com/arpaonline/?request=get-document&doi=10.1043%2F1543-2165(2004)128%3C553:HPTORC%3E2.0.CO%3B24. Can the new HPV vaccine help (at all)- if you are already infected? http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/STDFact-HPV-vaccine.htm#hpvvac15. Can my kids get it from me through any other things like sharing bath towels, toilets, washing our clothes together, etc? The types of HPV that infect the genital area are spread primarily through genital contact.....http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm#HowgetHPV is usually transmitted through direct skin-to-skin contact, most often during penetrative genital contact (vaginal or anal sex).http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/common-infection/CDC_HPV_ClinicianBro_LR.pdf Please answer as much as you can, Im having some pretty bad emotional and anxiety problems, especially since the doctor wont talk to me until i go into his office on friday, hes really vague in answers anyhow. thank you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2007
    • 04:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • thank you very much :)
    kamsae 88 Replies
    • February 23, 2007
    • 06:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • ok, I didn't get to cut/paste the links, and it's really early in the am so I'm gonna be lazy and just give you the rundown...I have answers for SOME, but not ALL, of your questions. Regardless, I would recommend that you ask your gyno or your pcp these same questions, to ease your mind.1. since is spread from skin contact- can my kids get it from bathingwith me?ok, there have been A LOT of debates about this, especially when kids/infants would come in to the doc's office with warts on the genital area. It CAN be spread to a baby during the trip down the birth canal. It CAN be transferred by "skin-to-skin" contact of the genital area. Theoretically speaking, I believe that, although it would be unlikely to transfer HPV through bathing, it probably is possible, but mainly, I would think, from using bath towels/washcloths/loofas on the genital area and then using it on the child skin, and so, I wouldn't chance it, in other words. I wouldn't play devil's advocate on this one. Until you get your doctor's expressed opinion on this matter, just give them a bath separate. and only use your towels on you, at least until you wash them in hot water. 3. can a person have more than one strain of HPV at the same time?Dual infection with HPV is more prevalent than I thought. It seems to be more likely in immunocompromised individuals (HIV/autoimmune disorders/cancer, etc.) 6. I was scheduled for surgery to diagnose and treat endometriosis,but it was cancelled when the pap was abnormal. Could HPV interferein any way with the surgery? Cause problems with Endometriosis?I tried to look this up, but couldn't find anything. I don't think there's any correlation, since endometriosis is more associated with ovarian cancer, rather than cervical cancer.hope some of this helpssheree
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2007
    • 10:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had an abnormal pap smear, followed by a colposcopy and biopsy. the doctor wont tell me anything until my appointment on friday, but they did say i have HPV. (the non-wart kind- high risk for cancer). im very scared- please answer the following questions: 1. since is spread from skin contact- can my kids get it from bathing with me?-I had the exact same diagnosis several years back and from what my doctor told me it can only be transmitted via sexual intercourse. 2. if a man has a wart causing strain- can he only give the woman the same kind, or can it change to the cancer kind after her infection? 3. can a person have more than one strain of HPV at the same time? -a person can have one strain of hpv and after surgery the chances of getting that strain are unlikely but there are other strains that you may get. However, if you are with the same partner you shouldn't get another strain4. Can the new HPV vaccine help (at all)- if you are already infected? 5. Can my kids get it from me through any other things like sharing bath towels, toilets, washing our clothes together, etc? -no from intercourse only6. I was scheduled for surgery to diagnose and treat endometriosis, but it was cancelled when the pap was abnormal. Could HPV interfere in any way with the surgery? Cause problems with Endometriosis? -not sure sorry Please answer as much as you can, Im having some pretty bad emotional and anxiety problems, especially since the doctor wont talk to me until i go into his office on friday, hes really vague in answers anyhow. thank you.- I went through the same dont worry. The surgery if you are doing laser will remove the abormal cells and you will be fine thereafter. As long as you caught it in the early stages you will recover. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2007
    • 07:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • thank you all- very much. i was 14 when my sister told me that she had herpes- it scared me to death. i didnt want to use the tiolet, shower, soap, washer, etc. i know that its not that contagious now and i was just uneducated, but HPV is a new thing for me- i thought that it was just the genital wart stuff, and not so bad. but wow, the cancer kind is really nerve wracking. i read that its spread from skin to skin- unlike the other stds that are mostly from sexual fluids. im catching myself hesitating when the kids ask for a kiss or try to drink after me. im sure its just irratational fear, but i worry. thank you for the info and support.
    kamsae 88 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 04:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I dated a guy 30 years ago who gave me what I had never heard of before - genital warts - HPV. I got treated for it several times. I thought after I had a vaginal hysterectomy wiht the cervix removed that was the end of it. Now, I paying again for the make love era of my life. I had one wart & was treated, then less than a week later, more cropped up & I was treated again. When you are in your 50's, it is very embarrassing to ask to be treated for this.My 30 year old daughter was diagnosed with HPV with high grade precancerous lesions. She had to have a coloscopy & leap procedure. Most of her cervix had to be removed. She had a miscarriage at about three months that was very traumatic & physically took a large toll on her. I am hoping that she didnot get HPV from me when she was born. This is serious stuff.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 06:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • actualy can be transmitted by towes or by fomites but its rare only 10% just beware i have also hpv, i have this cervical intraepthelial neoplasia,, in my diagnosis . i undrgo cefvical biopsy and i'll know the result this coming friday. Im scared but i need to face the the consenquences. anyway. may i ask u ? whta did the doctor told u on the treatment?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • - I went through the same dont worry. The surgery if you are doing laser will remove the abormal cells and you will be fine thereafter. As long as you caught it in the early stages you will recover. Good luck!this is a response i would have written years ago. when i had my first abnormal pap and had my first leep i thought the same thing. my doctor made me feel like i was cured and could go on carefree. i had another leep a few years later. i went about 10 years and all was well. low and behold i had another abnornal pap and leep was suggested again. i had little to no cervix left and since that left little to no chance for having children i chose to have a hysto. i had a few bad paps after that and was confused. the hpv virus will still show up from time to time on a pap. want something to be positive about? me too. i have been battling an infection for weeks now and when i went in to see my obgyn today... i have a wart! i had no idea it was there and lost it in the exam room. you may have more than one strain and unless you are tested to see which one or ones you have, you won't know until you have a symptom. my orginal doctor never told me i could some day break out with warts and the new doctor (younger and a woman since i thought she may be more up-to-date on conditions) never in four years said this could be something i might have to deal with. i am 41 and just now learning this. how do i tell my husband this? i have no idea where to begin to explain this to him especially since i am in shock and embarressed.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement