Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Abdomial Pain... Cannot find cause

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 8 Replies
  • Posted By: apco25
  • February 21, 2007
  • 03:25 AM

Hello,

This is my first post as I am doing research on trying to figure out this abdominal pain I am having. I am a 38 year old male and I still have my gull blatter.

I know there have been posts on this as this is a common thing, but I cannot seem to find my exact symtoms.

I have been to the ER twice for this in the last 8 months. It is severe abdominal pain on the right-side and is just below the rib cage and can extend lower depending on the severity. It comes and goes but is always there. It seems to have no correlation to what I eat (low-fat, high fat) does not seem to make a difference.

It has been constant lately and I am concerned. I have been to see my main GP and a GI guy. I have been put though the ringer on tests (all the normal tests they seem to do with these cases (I have read here) : CT scan (x2), CT scan with constast, Ultrasound, Hida-scan, every blood test on the planet. It's ALL normal.

The GI guy even went as far as to 'hint' it may be in my head. I know what pain is, I have had kidney stones, two of them removed (about 10 years ago). However, this is NOT kidney stone pain, it's in a different location and feels completely different. Also, the CT scans show I have no stones at this point (neither kidney or gull-blatter).

After going to the ER they said this is one of the most common things they see. The GI guy told me he sees this sort of thing evey day!

I understand it can be difficult to diagnose abdominal pain, but you would think with all these people having these similar issues someone would be looking into this.

I am looking for some advice. What are some suggestions to do next?

Thanks,
Apco25

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• Hello, This is my first post as I am doing research on trying to figure out this abdominal pain I am having. I am a 38 year old male and I still have my gull blatter. I know there have been posts on this as this is a common thing, but I cannot seem to find my exact symtoms. I have been to the ER twice for this in the last 8 months. It is severe abdominal pain on the right-side and is just below the rib cage and can extend lower depending on the severity. It comes and goes but is always there. It seems to have no correlation to what I eat (low-fat, high fat) does not seem to make a difference. It has been constant lately and I am concerned. I have been to see my main GP and a GI guy. I have been put though the ringer on tests (all the normal tests they seem to do with these cases (I have read here) : CT scan (x2), CT scan with constast, Ultrasound, Hida-scan, every blood test on the planet. It's ALL normal. The GI guy even went as far as to 'hint' it may be in my head. I know what pain is, I have had kidney stones, two of them removed (about 10 years ago). However, this is NOT kidney stone pain, it's in a different location and feels completely different. Also, the CT scans show I have no stones at this point (neither kidney or gull-blatter). After going to the ER they said this is one of the most common things they see. The GI guy told me he sees this sort of thing evey day! I understand it can be difficult to diagnose abdominal pain, but you would think with all these people having these similar issues someone would be looking into this. I am looking for some advice. What are some suggestions to do next? Thanks,Apco25Consider the possibility of a peptic ulcer; an endoscopy (which you didn't mention having) would be the procedure to examine for this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2007
    • 02:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • my daughter is experiencing the same thing. Have your doctors check for pleurisy.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2007
    • 06:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the exact same pain and just had my gal bladder removed a week ago. Dont believe what the doctors say. Gal stones are very painful and can be harmful if left go too long.I was ahving these attacks for 6 months, I was told it was indejestion and to alter my eating habits. Well, 6 months later and I ended up in the hospital with elevated enzyme levels in liver and HUGE kidney stones when the right person did the right test and performed a thorough ultra sound to see the stones.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 6, 2007
    • 01:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Yea I have been taking meds for gurd. My doc sent me to have my gallbladder looked at. I have small stones. Still not sure if this is the problem? The pain is in the left mid abdomen. It was so bad I hardly slept for three days and had to go to ER. What ever it is it sucks!.grimacegrimace777@sbcglobal.net
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 28, 2008
    • 06:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same problem but on the upper left abdomen. I am taking meds for GURD (Protonix, and Zantac) I had a real bad episode a week ago, three nights of no sleep and torture like pain. My doc sent me in to have a look at my galblatter. I have little stones in it. Wait to see what will happen next.Grim
    Grimace 1 Replies
    • October 28, 2008
    • 05:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • doctors should know the causes of right flanc abdominal pain,these are:liver diseases-hepatitis B,C ;hepatic cancer;gallblader stones or infection,acute pancreatitis,pancreatic head cancer,duodenal or gastric ulcer,duodenal or gastric cancer,colon cancer are the major causes of pain in the right side of abdomen
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 29, 2008
    • 03:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I know this post is old but have you considered nerve entrapment around the abs? For example, the ilioinguinal nerve runs through the ab wall and around the lower torso (obliques). The strange thing is that it can cause abdominal pain. If you've ever had abdominal surgery, hernia, overweight mid-section, or just feel pain when trying to do a situp, or even just consistent abdominal pain (i.e., pain and/or burning)...it's worth considering since blood tests, CT, even MRIs may not reveal nerve entrapments causing primary abdominal pain. See http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2218348 to check this out. A more developed form is called genitofemoral neuralgia. Also keep in mind, standard practice dictates, that when chronic abdominal pain is narrowly confined to a small area, the abdominal wall is almost always its source. Although this serves simply as a starting point of information with no implied medical diagnosis, I hope this helps. "Teaching man to fish." =) See ISBN 0‑8493‑2897‑7, Chronic Abdominal And Visceral Pain, for more information on this topic.
    izandm 1 Replies
    • October 29, 2008
    • 08:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you ever considered a musculoskeletal problem?If you sprain a muscle in this region, from exercise or too much work or from hitting it on a hard surface, you can experience pain. Do you have any additional symptoms? Different viral infections, also pneumonia, constipation can cause the pain you are talking about.
    KnowSUMthings 153 Replies
    • January 26, 2009
    • 01:59 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement