Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

How dangerous is it to just stop taking Wellbutrin XL?

Posted In: Mental conditions 62 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 20, 2007
  • 09:31 PM

I have been on Wellbutrin XL for a little over a year now and have steadily been gaining weight and have recently been diagnosed with a fatty liver which I think is linked to the meds. I want to come off of the Wellbutrin but can't get my dr's to return my messages to tell me the proper way to come off of it.

So I was wondering for a person with no history of seizures how dangerous would it be for me to just stop taking the meds?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Reply Flag this Discussion

62 Replies:

• Don't EVER just STOP taking antidepressents. It can cause horrible discontinuation symptoms. How much are you currently taking? You need to get the doctor or nurse to return your phone calls...If you are taking a low dose, then you could buy a pill splitter and try splitting the pills and slowly decreasing that way, but please be careful. I have seen some horror stories concerning wellbutrin, lexapro, paxil, and celexa. You should allow 2-3 weeks, and you should probably be on a different med, or seek an alternative treatment like acupuncture and herbs. Best wishes.DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • February 20, 2007
    • 11:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've quit an anti-depressant cold turkey and was just fine. I'd try it for a few days, and if you experience any symptoms, slowly start taking them again before weaning off.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 07:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Wellbutrin made me paranoid so when I went off of it, I felt awesome. I also had no other side effects from going off of it. Now Effexor, on the other hand....:eek:
    MMMMForbiddenDonut 14 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 09:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The main concern about abrupt stopping of Wellbutrin XL is a possible discontinuation syndrome. Some may experience only minor symptoms, for others, the symptoms may be so debilitating that they feel they cannot stop their antidepressant for fear of how it will interfere with their lives.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • First of all Wellbutrin is one of the least antidepressants to cause weight gain of all the rest. Second, why are you on this? You should not stop taking any of your meds on that basis alone but go to the doctors office and just tell them you had called several times and need an appointment to discuss your medications. My son is on Wellbutrin as well as 2 others but he can not go without it. No, he doesn't like weight gain, but he can lose when on it if he cuts back on his eating, watches what he does eat, and exercises. You were put on Wellbutrin for a reason so no, don't stop until you do talk to them.
    agypsygrl 79 Replies Flag this Response
  • I finally got in to see my doctor..I did have to make an appointment to do it so, instead of just getting a simple return call, so now I'm searching for a new doctor that seems to care a little more about me as a patient but that's beside the point.I was put on the meds originally because of major mood swings and I have been on a regimented eating plan and exercising at least 4 times a week the whole time and I know that it is not supposed to cause weight gain and I am not saying that it is definetely what did it seeing as I have under active thyroid and liver problems as well I know it will be hard to pin point the actual culprit...but I am 5'3" and have just topped the 180 mark which is very hard for me because I was always naturally small as a teenager and young 20's and now it won't stop piling on despite my efforts to counteract the weight gain. But truthfully I believe that the wellbutrin is what caused the liver problems that I'm having.Okay...I'm rambling now...I was on 300 and now the Dr. has put me on 150 for a month and then I am supposed to just stop from there. Now I'm just hoping that I will be able to cope without the medicine...I'm trying yoga and meditation to try and calm me down before my moods get out of hand again.
  • Please do not listen to anything Shula or Acuann tell you. My sister just passed away because Shula and Acuann told her that her doctor was wrong and she did not have a serious condition. Acuann even told her to get acupuncture to get healed. These people are going to be investigated for practicing medicine without a license. Shula and Acuann are specifically wanted in connection with my sisters homocide. Thats right homocide. If she would have listened to her doctor instead of these internet quacks she would still be here today. Rest assured I will do everything in my power to put these two behind bars and shut this website down for good.
  • i had a seizure caused by wellbutrin. i injured my shoulder in the process. i stopped it cold turkey by the advice of the doctor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 9, 2007
    • 00:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am on Welbutrin xl and I have gained weight and I feel tired and sad alot of the time. I want to stop taking it but I hear it is not a good idea. Maybe I will cut the 300 mil. in half and take that for a month and then cut the half in half (75mil) and stop from there. Does that sound okay. I am finding myself getting up from a sound sleep and eating something in the middle of the night, I only did once in a while now it is a every night thing and I am geting very sad because I feel my coths getting tighter, right before I went on the meds I lost tweny or more pounds I have now been gaining weight and I hate the way I feel. I am TIRED ALL the time! I have been on the meds for 6-8 months and I want to stop taking them ASAP. Please if you have any sugestions let me know.Thanks all :-)Prettwhitekitty
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 15, 2008
    • 07:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My feeling is if you want to stop taking wellbutrin you need something else in place to help with your mood swings and depressions symptoms. There are other options out there and supplements like EFA's and B complex may be helpful, as well as herbal therapy and exercise. But be careful just stopping, and decrease dosage gradually and with your doc's blessing. Glad to hear that some were okay just stopping this drug, but you are in the minority. Please be careful and research other holistic methods to help with your mood. If you suffer from extreme weight gain please get a complete thyroid panel done to rule out thyroid problems, which can cause depression and mood swings. Lastly, consider acupuncture - it is brilliant for depression. Best wishes DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • January 16, 2008
    • 05:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Just one thing...If you are on any extended realease meds such as XL, you CANNOT split the pills!!! They're time release. So you have to get an Rx for regular Wellbutrin in lower doses to wean off.I weaned off Paxil & that took forewver and sucked...AND, I'm so glad to be done with that! I have not gotten off the Wellbutrin yet, but that's next...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2008
    • 06:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I am on Welbutrin xl and I have gained weight and I feel tired and sad alot of the time. I want to stop taking it but I hear it is not a good idea. Maybe I will cut the 300 mil. in half and take that for a month and then cut the half in half (75mil) and stop from there. Does that sound okay. I am finding myself getting up from a sound sleep and eating something in the middle of the night, I only did once in a while now it is a every night thing and I am geting very sad because I feel my coths getting tighter, right before I went on the meds I lost tweny or more pounds I have now been gaining weight and I hate the way I feel. I am TIRED ALL the time! I have been on the meds for 6-8 months and I want to stop taking them ASAP. Please if you have any sugestions let me know.Thanks all :-)PrettwhitekittyThe Xl stands for EXTENDED RELEASE..If you split those pills, you are asking for an OVERDOSE...when you cut through the pills, you are also cutting through the layers that allow the pill to disolve slowly throughout the day...instead you get the whole 300MG doasage in one shot! DO NOT SPLIT TIME RELEASE PILLS! EVER...If you don't want to take them anymore, you'd be better off just NOT TAKING THEM...cutting them in pieces will only cause MAJOR problems...(I had a friend who died a few years ago from cutting ozy cottin ::spelling::...he didn't understand the whole 'time release' thing either...please be careful.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2008
    • 07:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • How long does it take for wellbutin to leave my system? Does anyone know? I have been on it for a year, and My doctor said I can go off it, but she said it would take only 21hrs, but I am reading differently. I was wondering what others know.
  • Ok, wow, I have quite a few things to say about this thread.I agree with the people who advised to talk to your doctor, and I'm glad you did. No one should ever make any prescription drug changes without talking to their doctor!!!! I know how hard it is to get to talk to mental health care providers, they are so busy because there is such a shortage of them. Not to make excuses for them but that is a major reason they are so notorious for being hard to get to when you need them. Which sucks. But anyway, a few things I wanted to point out. First and foremost, if you have diagnosed hypothyroidism, that is without a doubt the reason you're gaining weight! It has nothing to do with Wellbutrin. I suppose in extremely rare cases Wellbutrin could cause weight gain, but hypothyroidism always causes weight gain. Fatty liver is also almost always caused by weight gain (unless you're an alcoholic which I hope not if you're taking Wellbutrin!) The only meds I know of to cause fatty liver is corticosteroids and a few cardiac meds. Also can be caused by environmental toxins. But in your case I think it's safe to say the hypothyroidism caused the weight gain which caused the fatty liver. As far as Wellbutrin's effects on your liver, It's not specifically considered to be hepatotoxic, but it is metabolized by the liver so if your liver problems are severe it should be used very cautiously (that goes for most any drug).Another big problem I have here is that, like somebody else said, thyroid problems have major effects on mood and you shouldn't even be getting diagnosed with any psychiatric disorder until you're hormones are well regulated. Also, I'm a little confused why you were put on this. When you say mood swings I'm thinking Bipolar? If that's the case you definitely shouldn't be on Wellbutrin because it can induce mania in bipolar individuals. The seizure risk of Wellbutrin is not as high as it's made out to be, they just have to put all kinds of warnings with stuff like that so they don't get sued. I'm not denying there's some risk, but that's mostly if you have other risk factors or are taking way too much of it. Or, to reiterate what others have said, if you break the time release and get a big dose all at once. OOPS. And the seizures happen from taking the Wellbutrin, not from discontinuing it. Not that I'm saying people should just d/c it themselves, because think about it you're abruptly changing the chemicals in your brain. I don't think that type of thing goes unnoticed by the body. Whoever said the thing about Effexor...I concur. That withdrawal could be a new form of medieval torture or something. Definitely worse than any other drug I can think of, including alcohol, benzos, opioids, cocaine, pretty much all of the illicits (don't ask how I know these things I just do). I don't care if alcohol and downers withdrawal can be deadly. Effexor withdrawal is a fate far worse than death.:eek: Any SSRI/SNRI sucks (for me anyway, it can be an individual thing), but Effexor is in a category all it's own. NEVER GET ON EFFEXOR. YOU WILL NEVER GET OFF! Lol sorry that was a major tangent. Can you tell I've worked about 100 hours the past week and am so tired I'm wired? And I get to go back to work some more in three hours. No rest for the wicked I guess. Ok I should probably just turn off the computer and go to sleep now.
    CloudHidden 10 Replies Flag this Response
  • do not stop taking it at dosage your dr says too soon too much it needs to be weaned oh so slowly like all of them i have learnt the hard waynow i pay the piper not too many can cold turkey off anything
    angelene 13 Replies Flag this Response
  • Well, it is odd that you have a history of seizures and you were put on wellbutrin. Wellbutrin can actually cause you to have seizures. Wellbutrin is supposed to make you lose weight, but sometimes it does the exact opposite. A fatty liver can be caused by your history of foods you have digested and your age. I have a fatty liver, but I was told it was seen more and more in the younger generations, but I have also been on Wellbutrin (which is odd). I just took it as...I ate fatty foods or something when I was little. Anyway, I would just start weight training and running as well as eating a lot of veggies and protein:) You will feel much better if you weight train and do cardio as well as eat properly.
  • Any healthcare professional with half a brain would not recommend someone to stop an antidepressant cold turkey. There would surely be side-effects: increased depression or anxiety, ideas of suicide (or actual suicide), seizures, dizziness and fainting, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting...and more, I'm sure.Also to the person who originally started this topic- I don't think you should judge your doctor as someone who "doesn't care about their patients". Actually it would be the complete opposite. For the issues you were having, of course you would need an appointment to be evaluated. Something like that isn't something that could be taken care of by a simple phone call. Get real!
  • I'm coming across this thread for a different reason. But I’m glad I found it.I'm very curious about the "discontinuation symptoms” that were mentioned.My story is this; I was prescribed Wellbutrin XL 150mg for A.D.H.D. after I did not tolerate well the more traditional meds for this condition (Concerta, Ritalin). I found it helped while causing a virtually unnoticed side effect which was great. Then, later after finding I still experienced significant remaining A.D.H.D. symptoms I saw someone new who added Adderal XR to my prescription. That has been my winning combination. I've been on those two for about 2 years. I’ve been able to achieve many of my goals and I’m not as volatile emotionally as I was before. BTW Before settling on Wellbutrin I was prescribed Effexor and I had to get off it, I had headaches and SERIOUS jaw issues (could hardly chew food). I hated Effexor was only on it for like two weeks and after reading this post that sounds like it’s a good thing.I would like to identify with “Prettwhitekitty” who posted earlier in the thread that I too am tired quite often and wake up in the middle of the night, starving just about every night and need a small snack. Also, for the past year I've been going to the gym 5-6 times a week weightlifting at doing cardio with a very reasonable diet and have not seen the losses I feel I should be seeing. I've lost only like 25 pounds of body fat and dude, I've been working it. My wife has said in the past that she feels the wellbutrin is making it difficult for me to lose weight. My friend has been working out with me, we’ve been on the same routine, his diet is not as good as mine and he's lost 10-15 pounds MORE than I have. I'm not sure if that's related.Here's the issue:I started taking lipodrene with ephedra for weight loss assistance, per the recommendation of a friend. My cardiovascular health is fine so I thought I'd give it a try. Well, combined with Adderal I thought that is too much stimulant, so I'll back off the adderal. But like a dummy I thought, the lipodrene is working as an effective A.D.H.D. mitigator so I'll just drop off the Wellbutrin XL also (I prefer to consume as few drugs as possible). Well I also consume 2 protein shakes a day, whey protein powder, water, flax oil (50g protein avg). two days after I stopped taking the Wellbutrin XL and 3 days after starting the lipodrene I started having extreme stomach problems after consuming protein shakes, I thought at first I must have eaten something earlier that didn't agree with me. So I continued with my routine, a day and a half later I had a protein shake and my stomach hurt so bad (bloating, tightness, burning on the inside, just general pain) that I thought I might need to go to the hospital. My friend advised me to drink some water which only introduced nausea into the equation. long story short I went to the hospital then vomited up an amazing amount of liquid and felt better. So here's where it gets confusing. I drank the protein drink because I hadn't had a lipodrene pill the afternoon before or that same morning and I originally thought it was the lipodrene weightloss pill. I made an appoinment with my doc, same day and she said stay off the lipodrene start back with the Wellbutrin and see how it goes. No real info :( so the next day I tried a protein drink again (gotta have my protein, want muscle) same reaction, but not as bad. Meanwhile I research if anyone else has had the same affects with lipodrene, I search and search and find nothing. By now I’m out of Wellbutrin and have forgotten to refill the prescription so I’m at about 5 maybe 6 days off it. The next day I’m thinking the lipodrene should be completely out of my system and I should be able to tolerate protein. No luck, I’m *****d, then it occurs to me, that I’m not really thinking about the Wellbutrin because it has always been so non-problematic for me. I decide to search complications with Wellbutrin and I get LOADS of hits. I see that there is a myriad of things that can go wrong with Wellbutrin withdrawal. I also read something that says that Wellbutrin binds to protein. So I immediately get the prescription refilled and I’m 4 days back on it, but I’m still experiencing stomach upset, not NEARLY AS MUCH as before but I can’t consume an entire protein shake, just like that anymore. I have to sip it and have like half my normal serving. Does anybody know anything about Wellbutrin and it’s relationship to digestion or protein???? Final note: After all the searching and reading I’ve done regarding this issue I’m experiencing I’ve seen a LOT of things that make me concerned about being on wellbutrin or any other drug like it. After this is all sorted out I’m going to talk to my doctor about getting off of it. http://www.prozactruth.com/bupropion.htm For those interested the list of ingrediants in lipodrene are as followsProprietary Blend: 557.5mgEphedra Extract 25mg(leaves) Acaia Rigidula Extract(leaves) MethylSynephrine (yielding 75mg Phenylthylamine Alkaloids Including: B-Phenylethylamine, N-Methyl-B-phenylthylamine and R-beta-methylphenylethylamine) Phenylethylamine HCL Synephrine HCL 25mg TheobromineCitrus Aurantium 10% (fruit)U.S.P. Caffeine 100mg5-Hydroxytrptophan5-MethoxytryptamineGreen Tea Extract 45mg ECGCCassia Nomame (whole plant)Hoodia Extract (Cactus)Naringen(fruit) 6,7 Dihydroxybergamottin(fruit) 5-Methoxytryptamine HCL, l-5-Hydroxytryptophan Yohimbe HCLNaringen (fruit)Caffeine (anhydrous) 100mg
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 15, 2008
    • 06:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Ok so I know this thread is very old but I had to post a reply because I'm in a bit of a dangerous situation here and it's 10pm at night. I will most definetely call my Dr. in the morning but I have been doing some reading on my condition all evening. Which is Bi-Polar Mania. Currently my "Dr." which really is a nurse practioner (*****s me off trust me) not because she is just a nurse, but because I think the people at the place I go to over assigns them with patients. Anyways, like I mentioned I was researching the disorder because I have been on the same dosage of medication for about 2 years now and it seems like it really doesnt work at all. It seems like the few happy times I've had weren't really happy just kind of not as bad as usual. She basically got me on 150 mg of welbutrin, 150 mg of topamax as a mood stabalizer, and 1 mg of kolonpin for my occasional anxiety and insomnia. See until then i did the whole trying this and that. Until for about 2 or 3 solid months I felt somewhat better than I had been feeling. Even lost some weight. Then I kind of went numb again. Eventually fell back into the pattern. But somehow everytime I had an appointment, that fear of having to switch meds and being sick and feeling the side effects stuck in the back of my brain.Well ya know what! I've had enough of being mad at myself, the world, and everyone around me. However there is someone I am a little biit upset with. Someone I trusted with my mind and body for so long. Mainly because they should be doing the as an institution, not just the patients. Well let me get to the point finally. Tonight I found out that taking anti-depressants if you have Bi-Polar Mania, they can actually act as triggers to the Mania part of the disorder. Which obviously can keep the mania going for a longer period of time. And here I am wondering why I feel so darn worthless just about every single day. But I dont know about everyone else, but I think I'm gonna go ahead and try the cold turkey aproach with the welbutrin. I'm still gonna inform my "Dr."/Nurse" but hopefully I'll be seeing brighter days soon. Thanks for reading. And I hope this was informative to some of you...here is my email address if anyone would like to contact me please do so :) puglover2@aol.com. -Jennifer in AZ
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 2, 2008
    • 06:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm coming across this thread for a different reason. But I’m glad I found it. I'm very curious about the "discontinuation symptoms” that were mentioned. My story is this; I was prescribed Wellbutrin XL 150mg for A.D.H.D. after I did not tolerate well the more traditional meds for this condition (Concerta, Ritalin). I found it helped while causing a virtually unnoticed side effect which was great. Then, later after finding I still experienced significant remaining A.D.H.D. symptoms I saw someone new who added Adderal XR to my prescription. That has been my winning combination. I've been on those two for about 2 years. I’ve been able to achieve many of my goals and I’m not as volatile emotionally as I was before. BTW Before settling on Wellbutrin I was prescribed Effexor and I had to get off it, I had headaches and SERIOUS jaw issues (could hardly chew food). I hated Effexor was only on it for like two weeks and after reading this post that sounds like it’s a good thing. I would like to identify with “Prettwhitekitty” who posted earlier in the thread that I too am tired quite often and wake up in the middle of the night, starving just about every night and need a small snack. Also, for the past year I've been going to the gym 5-6 times a week weightlifting at doing cardio with a very reasonable diet and have not seen the losses I feel I should be seeing. I've lost only like 25 pounds of body fat and dude, I've been working it. My wife has said in the past that she feels the wellbutrin is making it difficult for me to lose weight. My friend has been working out with me, we’ve been on the same routine, his diet is not as good as mine and he's lost 10-15 pounds MORE than I have. I'm not sure if that's related. Here's the issue:I started taking lipodrene with ephedra for weight loss assistance, per the recommendation of a friend. My cardiovascular health is fine so I thought I'd give it a try. Well, combined with Adderal I thought that is too much stimulant, so I'll back off the adderal. But like a dummy I thought, the lipodrene is working as an effective A.D.H.D. mitigator so I'll just drop off the Wellbutrin XL also (I prefer to consume as few drugs as possible). Well I also consume 2 protein shakes a day, whey protein powder, water, flax oil (50g protein avg). two days after I stopped taking the Wellbutrin XL and 3 days after starting the lipodrene I started having extreme stomach problems after consuming protein shakes, I thought at first I must have eaten something earlier that didn't agree with me. So I continued with my routine, a day and a half later I had a protein shake and my stomach hurt so bad (bloating, tightness, burning on the inside, just general pain) that I thought I might need to go to the hospital. My friend advised me to drink some water which only introduced nausea into the equation. long story short I went to the hospital then vomited up an amazing amount of liquid and felt better. So here's where it gets confusing. I drank the protein drink because I hadn't had a lipodrene pill the afternoon before or that same morning and I originally thought it was the lipodrene weightloss pill. I made an appoinment with my doc, same day and she said stay off the lipodrene start back with the Wellbutrin and see how it goes. No real info :( so the next day I tried a protein drink again (gotta have my protein, want muscle) same reaction, but not as bad. Meanwhile I research if anyone else has had the same affects with lipodrene, I search and search and find nothing. By now I’m out of Wellbutrin and have forgotten to refill the prescription so I’m at about 5 maybe 6 days off it. The next day I’m thinking the lipodrene should be completely out of my system and I should be able to tolerate protein. No luck, I’m *****d, then it occurs to me, that I’m not really thinking about the Wellbutrin because it has always been so non-problematic for me. I decide to search complications with Wellbutrin and I get LOADS of hits. I see that there is a myriad of things that can go wrong with Wellbutrin withdrawal. I also read something that says that Wellbutrin binds to protein. So I immediately get the prescription refilled and I’m 4 days back on it, but I’m still experiencing stomach upset, not NEARLY AS MUCH as before but I can’t consume an entire protein shake, just like that anymore. I have to sip it and have like half my normal serving. Does anybody know anything about Wellbutrin and it’s relationship to digestion or protein???? Final note: After all the searching and reading I’ve done regarding this issue I’m experiencing I’ve seen a LOT of things that make me concerned about being on wellbutrin or any other drug like it. After this is all sorted out I’m going to talk to my doctor about getting off of it. http://www.prozactruth.com/bupropion.htm For those interested the list of ingrediants in lipodrene are as follows Proprietary Blend: 557.5mgEphedra Extract 25mg(leaves) Acaia Rigidula Extract(leaves) MethylSynephrine (yielding 75mg Phenylthylamine Alkaloids Including: B-Phenylethylamine, N-Methyl-B-phenylthylamine and R-beta-methylphenylethylamine) Phenylethylamine HCL Synephrine HCL 25mg TheobromineCitrus Aurantium 10% (fruit)U.S.P. Caffeine 100mg5-Hydroxytrptophan5-MethoxytryptamineGreen Tea Extract 45mg ECGCCassia Nomame (whole plant)Hoodia Extract (Cactus)Naringen(fruit) 6,7 Dihydroxybergamottin(fruit) 5-Methoxytryptamine HCL, l-5-Hydroxytryptophan Yohimbe HCLNaringen (fruit) Caffeine (anhydrous) 100mg I am curious where do you live? In the US? How are you able to get lipodrene, which contains ephedra extracts? Ephedra and all its constituents have been banned by the FDA for several years now. I am just wondering. BTW, this supplement sounds very dangerous...are you still taking this? And where are you finding it if you live in the US? Also, wondering what "protein shake" you are taking...many can cause bloating and stomach upset, especially soy and whey brands. Too much protein is not healthy for you. Rice or pea protein are supposed to be less allergenic. You are right to question wellbutrin, and hope you and your doctor can get you slowly weaned off of it. I'd also ask your doc to check your B12 levels. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • October 3, 2008
    • 03:39 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement