Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

chronic itching on hands & feet, no rash

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 8 Replies
  • Posted By: eleni1976
  • February 11, 2011
  • 07:16 PM

I am a 34 year old female. I have been experiencing extreme itching, mostly on my hands and feet, and it has been going on for at least 10 years. The past few months it has progressively become worse and worse and I sometimes wake up at night scratching myself till it bleeds.
My GP has done blood tests for allergies as well as to check my liver function, which came back negative. So that's ruled out. There is no rash, bumps of any kind.
The only mediaction that temporarily relieves the itching is Aterax (contains a calming agent as well as anti histamine)

Can you please give me advice on how to handle this situation and what the possible causes could be? :confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• I am a 34 year old female. I have been experiencing extreme itching, mostly on my hands and feet, and it has been going on for at least 10 years. The past few months it has progressively become worse and worse and I sometimes wake up at night scratching myself till it bleeds. My GP has done blood tests for allergies as well as to check my liver function, which came back negative. So that's ruled out. There is no rash, bumps of any kind. The only mediaction that temporarily relieves the itching is Aterax (contains a calming agent as well as anti histamine) Can you please give me advice on how to handle this situation and what the possible causes could be? :confused:Hi I have the exact same symptoms and like you have had no success in finding out what it is. I do think there is an association with changes in temperature eg coming in from the cold to heat but then it can happen in other situations too. It is like a prickly heat rash with white bumps and other times it is like a hive rash on my legs, arms and stomach. Now I have started to notice it at times around my mouth. A doctor attending to my son on holidays with a rash on his feet said that rashes can be hereditary and diagnosed pompholous eczema for my son and then said that I probably had the same thing. He suggested using creams such as e45 and to use shampoos etc in this line. However, I am not so sure about the effectiveness of this. I have tried food diaries but again no consistent pattern.I also suffer from an extreme genital itch at times - and yet I have been told that I don't have thrush. So I now think that they are all have the same basis.I have Gilberts Syndrome (mild) which is associated with hightened bilirubin count (also hereditary) and have recently seen symptoms of something else I was researching where the symptoms included raised bilirubin and rash. So I am now trying to check if they are linked otherwise.So I will watch your post with interest and sorry I know I have only raised more questions than answered!
    elsie57 1 Replies
    • February 11, 2011
    • 08:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I know you said MD ran LFT, but what about testing SBA serum bile acid? BTW if you don't get relief from other creams/lotions, try sarna. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2011
    • 11:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It could be a form of psoriasis. See ---> http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/p/psoriasis/symptoms.htm
    gr8tful 175 Replies
    • February 12, 2011
    • 07:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 34 year old female. I have been experiencing extreme itching, mostly on my hands and feet, and it has been going on for at least 10 years. The past few months it has progressively become worse and worse and I sometimes wake up at night scratching myself till it bleeds. My GP has done blood tests for allergies as well as to check my liver function, which came back negative. So that's ruled out. There is no rash, bumps of any kind. The only mediaction that temporarily relieves the itching is Aterax (contains a calming agent as well as anti histamine) Can you please give me advice on how to handle this situation and what the possible causes could be? :confused:I can help to you.
    balich 3 Replies
    • February 14, 2011
    • 04:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I can help to you. Hiyou replied on my post that you can help me...how?
    eleni1976 1 Replies
    • February 15, 2011
    • 06:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Я могу помочь реально и очень серьезно. Экзема излечивается лекарственными растениями. Я живу в России город Саратов. Где Вы живете?
    balich 3 Replies
    • February 15, 2011
    • 08:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 34 year old female. I have been experiencing extreme itching, mostly on my hands and feet, and it has been going on for at least 10 years. The past few months it has progressively become worse and worse and I sometimes wake up at night scratching myself till it bleeds. My GP has done blood tests for allergies as well as to check my liver function, which came back negative. So that's ruled out. There is no rash, bumps of any kind. The only mediaction that temporarily relieves the itching is Aterax (contains a calming agent as well as anti histamine) Can you please give me advice on how to handle this situation and what the possible causes could be? :confused:It could be a parasite.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2011
    • 08:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Eleni1976, Eczema recovers thoroughly. You want, that to you have helped councils will recover? It isn't possible. As with you to communicate, that all to explain.
    balich 3 Replies
    • February 18, 2011
    • 05:25 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement