Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Skin sores on arms and legs

Posted In: Skin conditions 48 Replies
  • Posted By: jeffmcc
  • May 12, 2007
  • 05:57 PM

I've been battling recurring sores on my arms and legs for about 18 months now. The sores start as red, itchy bumps that soon become inflamed, then thicken, bleed when scratched, and then leave a scarring mass when healed. I thought it might be cellulitis, but I went through a cycle of antibiotics and it still persists. Also, the sores appear in matching spots on my upper triceps, lower arms, and lower front calves. In addition, I also tend to get scalp sores, but I believe they are different as they do not scar. I'm 54 and live an exrtremely healthy lifestyle with great diet and exercise. Any suggestions as to what this might be?

Reply Flag this Discussion

48 Replies:

• My mother gets that same thing the doctor keeps telling her it is nothing but it appears alot and they scar blackish. I hope some one can help us figure it our.~Worried
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Yeah I know some one with that same problem.
  • I have the exact same, the doc took a biopsy and found nothing but thickening of the skin and the scab itself. Said I had neurodermatosis due to PTSD. Please let me know if you get diagnosed. I am worried. Do you have any enlarged lymphs? Do you get headaches behind one eye? I wonder if these symptoms are related ot the itchy scabs or something else...
  • i have the same problems and i get aches in my eyes as well as shaking in my eyes the spots come and go and my doctor keeps telling me its nothing as well
  • You all could get tested for syphilis; has the original posted had the sores analyzed? The eye poster--it is not normal--se an othalmologist--it could also be side effects from some meds you may be on.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Of course I have finally found a website that talks about this issue that I have been dealing with~but like me have no specific diagnosis or cause! I have exactly what has been posted above, the very first post exspecially. I am only 21 yrs old and have tried every kind of home remedy! I always have migrains so I don't think that they have to do with these sores. They are on my arms and legs, they cluster the most on my triceps and upper thighs. I also have them starting on my upper back inbetween my shoulderblades and my chest. This is a nightmare and has been going on since about april. Now the ones that heal look like cigerette burns all over my body. The new ones are reddish on the edges and almost a little white in the middle. They pop up out of the blue and look as if they are serious injuries! It is humiliating for me. I see the doctor tomorrow finally and then am hoping she can get me a dermotologist apt. asap rather then waiting until october which is the next available apt. I hope to have some answers for all of you a.s.a.p. If any of you have found the cause or cure please PLEASE let me know!!!!!!!!!!p.s the only similar skin issue I found online was lichen planus:look it up.
    Kate060 1 Replies
    • August 25, 2008
    • 11:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My husband says the same thing it my mediciane that I take but I take 7 different ones so Im not sure
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 26, 2008
    • 06:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi you are describing the same thing that i am in my form 7 jear undiagnised skin problem take a look. , it is under controll now i am taking doxycyline for all skin problems look it up on line and read what if is all used for then see you doc .no one could help me but my own research
    charmaine petzer 176 Replies
    • December 4, 2008
    • 10:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • :confused: i am 52 yrs old and i have been getting this ungoing rash for a few yrs now .it started out to be a few ,so i thought i was getting the chicken pox .then on nov 14 i woke up with this blistery rash under my breast ,within 24 hrs it was down my legs ,on my back .it seem to 3 differant types of rashes .one started out to be like a pimple and another was as if someone took a car cig lighter and placed on my back ,(target lieson) i had blisters and then i had scaley spots .i would not itch night time while sleeeping .but when i get up in the morning ,moving about it would appear to be more redder and itch .saw the gp and he sent me dermatoligist asap and he done 2 biopseys that day and another 3 days later .the results were that i had pleva .(pityriasis lichenoides et varioliformis acuta )i was put on methotrixate 15mg one day per wk and a folic acid everyday .i know this would be the third line of treatment ,but i was soooooo full of inflamation .i have been on this treatment now for 19 days and the rash settled down .i still get a scattered one ,but dont become of much .i also get visual migraines .spots in eyes .high blood presure that is being controlled by meds and i ache all over .alot of my joints .the only way to tell this skin diease is by a biopsey ,they say .i hope that i have been of some help to you and i will keep you informed on what happens next .
    scrabbler 3 Replies
    • December 22, 2008
    • 00:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • :confused: i am 52 yrs old and i have been getting this ungoing rash for a few yrs now .it started out to be a few ,so i thought i was getting the chicken pox .then on nov 14 i woke up with this blistery rash under my breast ,within 24 hrs it was down my legs ,on my back .it seem to 3 differant types of rashes .one started out to be like a pimple and another was as if someone took a car cig lighter and placed on my back ,(target lieson) i had blisters and then i had scaley spots .i would not itch night time while sleeeping .but when i get up in the morning ,moving about it would appear to be more redder and itch .saw the gp and he sent me dermatoligist asap and he done 2 biopseys that day and another 3 days later .the results were that i had pleva .(pityriasis lichenoides et varioliformis acuta )i was put on methotrixate 15mg one day per wk and a folic acid everyday .i know this would be the third line of treatment ,but i was soooooo full of inflamation .i have been on this treatment now for 19 days and the rash settled down .i still get a scattered one ,but dont become of much .i also get visual migraines .spots in eyes .high blood presure that is being controlled by meds and i ache all over .alot of my joints .the only way to tell this skin diease is by a biopsey ,they say .i hope that i have been of some help to you and i will keep you informed on what happens next . i was wondering if there is anyone else out there that can relate to this condidtion gloria.hancock@nf.sympatico .ca
    scrabbler 3 Replies
    • December 23, 2008
    • 02:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, Is there any update on your condition? I have exactly the same thing, and was diagnosed with staff, but treatments didn't help, and I really dont want to be on antibiotics any more, but scheesh~ this is horrible, ugly, painful, embarrassing, etc... Let me know,Marey
    mareymarey 1 Replies
    • January 26, 2009
    • 05:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• i must say since i was on the meds (methotrexate ),the rash has settled down .i still get a few ,but nothing to worry about .i was wondering how kate060 made out with her app. in october and do you still have the rash . a biopsey is the way to tell if it is PLEVA .
    scrabbler 3 Replies
    • January 26, 2009
    • 11:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • HI every one. i just want to tell you that after 7 jears of ***l and blood tests skin samples pills by the bucket full.i whent to see a lady doctor not to long ago and she has diagnosed me with very bad depression, put me on to medication and it is now 52 days and i do not have one ich bump or mark to scrach .all the medication has done some damage to the liver but can live with that but not with the skin .best luck to you.
    charmaine petzer 176 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have been pretty much depressed all my life. But sores on my arms, legs, scalp, as described above began appearing and staying only since age 62. I don't take any pills at all except an aspirin now and then and pop an occasional aciphex for an acidic tummy. The sores are not catching, nobody else has them in the family. I don't have syphilis either. I stay off of sweets. I treat the sores with calamine lotion or creams rich in zinc oxide. Because we live in a warm and humid environment, I tried anti-bacterial soaps, isopropyl alcohol, Neosporin, Iodex, Betadine, Ciclopirox and Monistat creams to knock out any fungus or bacteria. It doesn't seem make a difference. I lay it to a change in body chemistry.
    finkey 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Response to Katie. Hi kate my name is Bart and ive had pretty much the exact same symptoms, well i had an atv accident which i was doa and then revived at the hospital well tyhe docs cut your clothes off and they get a good look at all of youre body ok, well when the doc seen mine he asked my mom how long it had been since i had a TETANAUS shot. Well i got one and then a year and a half of grief and embarrasment it was gone.... So PLEASE GO GET A TETANAUS SHOT .. thnx Katie i hope ive helped. Bart Goodwin
  • I found that mine was due to not enough vitamin C. I'm taking enough vitamin C now and on the road to recovery. Hope this helps.
    finkey 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • cover with sudacream,zinc and castor oil to cure .stop oxygen.it dies like varucca
  • I went to a dermentologist and he suggested that it was a bad reaction to mosquito bites. He gave me some zonalon cream and some topicort cream. I put them on the new sores and they healed quikly and barely left a mark. However it didn't really have much affect on the old covered sores. I worked for me. Good Luck everyone.
  • Hi, My husband had the same thing. He went to the hospital lastnight because one was starting to puss green and all of them were very painful. Anyways the Dr. said there was little bits of metal in each sore and thats why no antbiotic was helping, the metal was causing the sores because the body was trying to push them out and the metal was tearing up the skin. My husband had forgot that 2 weeks ago he was grinding on a piece of metal at work and when doing so it was throwing little tiny pieces of metal on his skin and then was getting absorbed in the skin. The dr. told him to clean with alchole and that will help push the metal up and then would have to dig out the rest of the metal with a needle and this process to get all the metal out could take up to a year. I know this probly isn't most of your problems but thought I'd share his diagnoses.Good luck to all
  • I just recently started getting small sores on my upper body, my back, my shoulder and on my breast. The area turns red. In a few days, they dry up and heal. Some of them look like scratch marks, and leave dark scars on my body once they heal. I have been using a lotion for itching to relive the itching.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 8, 2009
    • 08:32 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement