Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

red sore spots on fingers, toes and nose - come and go

Posted In: Skin conditions 12 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 17, 2007
  • 03:20 AM

About 8 months ago I had a red painful area on the tip of my nose - not raised just red skin that felt burned - no dryness, no scales. It lasted a few weeks. Then maybe a month later, the same thing happened but in a different spot on my nose. The same thing has occurred over and over. Sometimes the red lasts a week, sometimes three. Sometimes I have a month between red spots, sometimes a few days.

I went to the dermatologist and they thought it might be a form of herpes and put me on Valtrex. That did nothing. SO then they tried two antibiotics - one oral and one topical. That did nothing.

Well, then I remembered that for years (I'd guess 6 - 8), I've had occasional red sore spots appear on my toes. I've ignored them thinking it was due to a toe nail rubbing the next toe or due to a previous cold trauma injury. This toe issue looks, feels and acts like that on my nose (sometimes, maybe 20% of the time, a red/purple spot under the nail at the cuticle).

I then recalled, and now have these spots on two fingers, that I would sometimes get something like this on my fingertips (sometimes right at the cuticle). Just a red area with no blisters or scales, just sore. Thought it was due to either exposure to cold or a slight injury during car or house repair, etc.

My dermatologist wants to biopsy one area but I no longer have health insurance. Does anyone have any idea what these areas might represent? I am 35 and very healthy (just had a physical), good weight, eat well, etc.

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• Interesting. I seem to have the same issue. I'm curious as to what is happening.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2007
    • 10:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds a lot like what I have. It showed up on my feet / toes (first) and then on my hands / fingers. The sore spots show up about every 4 weeks, over the last 4 months. I was diagnosed with Hypersensitivity Vasculitis, after going to a general md and a rumotologist. I am being treated with Prednisone. I just had a biopsy on one of the spots on my hand and should have the results back in a week or so. Hope that helps even more and I can get this under control. Good luck to all!!
    allmyshelties 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Ask the doctor if he can reduce his fee since you don't have insurance. You have to have the biopsy to determine what it is.Since you've had it since you were a young child, were you ever bitten by ticks?
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had the below problem - the painful spots on my fingers and toes, please can any of you tell me what it turned out to be? Thank you
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2009
    • 05:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a similar problem. Does it sound like that being described here?http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=34371I have never experienced a problem with my nose, but I have noticed red bumps (they look like the beginnings of a veruca, but never develop into anything), skin sensitivity, swelling and redness on the joints of my fingers and toes. They show up more in the cold, but seem to come and go as they please.It doesn't bother me enough to consult a doctor, but I am concerned that it may be a symptom of something more serious, or that I am infecting others.Can any of you help me with these two concerns?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 28, 2009
    • 11:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Could it be chilblains (perniosis)? You can check out descriptions on this website, MayoClinic, or others. Good luck.I have had the below problem - the painful spots on my fingers and toes, please can any of you tell me what it turned out to be? Thank you
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2010
    • 03:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a similar problem. Does it sound like that being described here?http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=34371I have never experienced a problem with my nose, but I have noticed red bumps (they look like the beginnings of a veruca, but never develop into anything), skin sensitivity, swelling and redness on the joints of my fingers and toes. They show up more in the cold, but seem to come and go as they please.It doesn't bother me enough to consult a doctor, but I am concerned that it may be a symptom of something more serious, or that I am infecting others.Can any of you help me with these two concerns?My daughter has similar symptoms. We have tried cortozone cream to see if we can get the redness to go away. It seems to come only in the winter and it is on her fingers and toes. It is painful to wear some shoes for her. Anyone get any final answers??
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 21, 2010
    • 01:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have had similar problem for about 6 months now, and like someone else said they appear every 4 or so weeks.Finally went to the doctors the other day as the ones on my feet get so sore that it can make me limp a little. The doctor is sending me for blood tests and believes they are some sort of leison.Can you keep me in the loop if anyone gets any closer to finding out what they are?Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 21, 2010
    • 11:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My daughter has similar symptoms. We have tried cortozone cream to see if we can get the redness to go away. It seems to come only in the winter and it is on her fingers and toes. It is painful to wear some shoes for her. Anyone get any final answers??in response to what you posted, i have the same thing going on, its only been happening for the past 2 years now, only during winter or when i go from a more wet cold climate like, portland oregon to a dryer heated climate like southern california in a few days. this may help you.http://www.epodiatry.com/chilblains.htmgoodluck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 24, 2010
    • 09:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • in response to what you posted, i have the same thing going on, its only been happening for the past 2 years now, only during winter or when i go from a more wet cold climate like, portland oregon to a dryer heated climate like southern california in a few days. this may help you.http://www.epodiatry.com/chilblains.htmgoodluckThis situation is very similar to what my niece had experienced.. Well, this had bee going on for like 2-3 years. And this happened right when she moved to Phoenix..
    kay_norton 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • i have had this and tried manuka honey directly applied very sticky but have already had encouraging results.would like to hear from anyone else.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Sounds like Raynauds.About 8 months ago I had a red painful area on the tip of my nose - not raised just red skin that felt burned - no dryness, no scales. It lasted a few weeks. Then maybe a month later, the same thing happened but in a different spot on my nose. The same thing has occurred over and over. Sometimes the red lasts a week, sometimes three. Sometimes I have a month between red spots, sometimes a few days.I went to the dermatologist and they thought it might be a form of herpes and put me on Valtrex. That did nothing. SO then they tried two antibiotics - one oral and one topical. That did nothing.Well, then I remembered that for years (I'd guess 6 - 8), I've had occasional red sore spots appear on my toes. I've ignored them thinking it was due to a toe nail rubbing the next toe or due to a previous cold trauma injury. This toe issue looks, feels and acts like that on my nose (sometimes, maybe 20% of the time, a red/purple spot under the nail at the cuticle).I then recalled, and now have these spots on two fingers, that I would sometimes get something like this on my fingertips (sometimes right at the cuticle). Just a red area with no blisters or scales, just sore. Thought it was due to either exposure to cold or a slight injury during car or house repair, etc.My dermatologist wants to biopsy one area but I no longer have health insurance. Does anyone have any idea what these areas might represent? I am 35 and very healthy (just had a physical), good weight, eat well, etc.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement