Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

red sore spots on fingers, toes and nose - come and go

Posted In: Skin conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 17, 2007
  • 03:20 AM

About 8 months ago I had a red painful area on the tip of my nose - not raised just red skin that felt burned - no dryness, no scales. It lasted a few weeks. Then maybe a month later, the same thing happened but in a different spot on my nose. The same thing has occurred over and over. Sometimes the red lasts a week, sometimes three. Sometimes I have a month between red spots, sometimes a few days.

I went to the dermatologist and they thought it might be a form of herpes and put me on Valtrex. That did nothing. SO then they tried two antibiotics - one oral and one topical. That did nothing.

Well, then I remembered that for years (I'd guess 6 - 8), I've had occasional red sore spots appear on my toes. I've ignored them thinking it was due to a toe nail rubbing the next toe or due to a previous cold trauma injury. This toe issue looks, feels and acts like that on my nose (sometimes, maybe 20% of the time, a red/purple spot under the nail at the cuticle).

I then recalled, and now have these spots on two fingers, that I would sometimes get something like this on my fingertips (sometimes right at the cuticle). Just a red area with no blisters or scales, just sore. Thought it was due to either exposure to cold or a slight injury during car or house repair, etc.

My dermatologist wants to biopsy one area but I no longer have health insurance. Does anyone have any idea what these areas might represent? I am 35 and very healthy (just had a physical), good weight, eat well, etc.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement